for daily banking news and anonymous message boards, check out the new site cafebanking.com

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

Go Back   Cafepharma Message Boards > Company Boards > GlaxoSmithKline
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Anonymous

Default Respiratory Care Educator position

I saw a posting for this position in my area. Anyone have any info on this position? Is this a new position? It says you need a clinical background (RN, RT, PA, MD). Any idea what the salary range would be for this position?
Old 08-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Anonymous

Default Re: Respiratory Care Educator position

Screw the salary range--its probably a pretty safe position to be in currently----the future who knows!!!!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:12 PM
Anonymous

The Titanic was safer than this imploding "enterprise"! Why would you want to work here???
Old 08-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Anonymous

Respitory Care Educator!!! This company is so screwed up I cany believe they are creating jobs like this ... Hospitals have there own Educators and there is also something called med school.. Do you think any serious teaching institution or well run Hospital is going to want some GSK slap dick running around the hospital "Educating" the staff on respitory issues.. This is the most idiotic thing I've seen yet... All this is , is another Slick way of trying to squeeze every last dollar out of advair
Old 08-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Anonymous

Next year we will all be educators anyhow.

This position will be eliminated when Deidre is in about 2 years.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Anonymous

I also applied for this position in my area. Call points are not hospitals, physician offices only. Has anyone else who has applied heard anything?
Old 09-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Anonymous

I had an interview last Wednesday in my area (South)....haven't heard anything. Oh well.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Anonymous

Party Re: Respiratory Care Educator position

Actually it is an awesome position. You do have to have a medical license and pass the NAECB asthma educator certification. Pretty hard! But just a great group of people and actually a fun job! When was the last time you thought that about a job with GSK??????
Old 09-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Anonymous

Yeah, Pretty incredible job, until you realize that the docs hate GSK and want nothing to do with you. You have the credentials, but they will laugh at you, like they want the Pharma propaganda to influence anything about what they do. This was an awesome industry, but BIG PHARMA has poisoned any info with their UN-credible positions. Docs now hate us, and it used to be REALLY good. Thanks, Deidre!! You SUCK! (well, actually, in reality... you really do... I'm sure in a good way, if you are a partner) But you have SUNK this company. Deny it all you want, but reality is reality.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Anonymous

This division is in response to BI's clinical science division. The rumor is that Spiriva is taking 10 - 20 % market share from Advair in terrtories with these "educators".
Old 09-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Anonymous

Has anyone heard any more about this position or received an offer? If so, when does training start?
Old 11-25-2010, 12:13 AM
Anonymous

Yes, got an offer. Training in NC starts Novemeber 29th for 2 weeks.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Anonymous

Piece of cake job once you get thru with training. Most of the time just sitting at home. Maybe one to two calls per day (a busy day) Many times just sitting around at home. You work at most 4 hours per day.. Can't believe GSK is paying big bucks for this position.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:46 AM
Anonymous

a joke of a job...not at all reality based... the company must be high! a true waste of credentials...safe if you want to retire soon though. training is off based-a ton of "selling" for a non sales position-not something for the US maybe ok for the UK.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Anonymous

Sure, it's easy ... no sales incentives. Although the rest of us are also not being compensated on sales numbers anymore, there is still an unspoken expectation that "good behaviours would lead/match good numbers". If you think the Respiratory Care Educator job is easy, imagine what it's like to be theManager of this group? What a cake-walk !!! A dream job if you ask me!
Old 07-08-2011, 12:34 AM
Anonymous

You state that this position has no sales incentive, however, in the original job description it is firmly stated that comission is based on increasing sales of drugs that contain an ICS. This company sold this idea to providers stating that it was "not" a sales job. Very deceptive. How's it going for those who got this position?
Old 07-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Anonymous

Arms Re: Respiratory Care Educator position

The job is a great job! We get to talk to other decision makers in the office besides just the Doc. No more waitng for signatures.. The Education part is something I enjoy. We revamp or help create asthma and COPD management programs. The offices that want to work with us really appreciate what we offer. I have a lot of satisfaction in my job now>
Old 07-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Anonymous

The education part of the job is great, but we are doing A LOT of cold calling-no leads from the field at all. At our last meeting, I spoke to several other RCE's who were not very happy-too much selling of our "services" and not as much education as expected with this position. There is almost no bonus with this position and the RCE's are selling this service and generating all of our own programs which are in the end going to benefit the company through increased scripts. People are not happy with this and feel there should be a much better incentive comp in place. 5 of the original RCE's have already quit and talked to a few at the meeting who might be on their way out as well. However, many of them love the job-guess it just depends on your geography and how comfortable you are cold calling.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Anonymous

Sales rep without a product basically. When you can find the offices that are actually interested in free education....awesome. Few and far between. Prefer to be selling an actual product and not just this idea someone, somewhere conjured up in a manager's meeting. Would have been great if it was truly and education position...not! Disappointed.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Sales rep without a product basically. When you can find the offices that are actually interested in free education....awesome. Few and far between. Prefer to be selling an actual product and not just this idea someone, somewhere conjured up in a manager's meeting. Would have been great if it was truly and education position...not! Disappointed.
Sorry...I meant truly an educator position
Old 07-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Anonymous

Quote:

My thoughts exactly-disappointed as well.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
My thoughts exactly-disappointed as well.
My thoughts, too-disappointed I wonder how many RCE's have left this role already for another opportunity?
Old 09-23-2011, 09:27 AM
Anonymous

Some great insights on this thread, thanks for posting. For those of you who are in an RCE role, it appears that geography and willingness of providers to work with PHARMA in this capacity is a key component to job satisfaction. Considering the dwindling access and credibility of the sales position (and PHARMA) as a whole, how would you evaluate the longevity/career potential of the RCE role now? Is it still "an experiment", and how would you evaluate it's future? I ask as someone who is considering applying for a position in an area where access is tough. ANY additional insights would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Anonymous

I think we are probably good for at least another year but after that...I have no idea. You mentioned all of the key challenges: geography, access, staff is apathetic. They are more focused on diabetes etc...no words of wisdom. It is a tough road, as is pharma in general now.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Anonymous

wasting money
Old 11-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Anonymous

Well, let's see. I know of 2 RCE's that have just left their positions this month to go elsewhere. Miraculous that I even know. Several have left to take other positions within the company over the past 3 months. I wonder how many other people have taken other positions outside GSK that I just don't know about at this time? Interesting. We started with 75. Wonder how many originals are left?
Old 11-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Anonymous

Maybe they are smart enough to read the writing on the wall.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Well, let's see. I know of 2 RCE's that have just left their positions this month to go elsewhere. Miraculous that I even know. Several have left to take other positions within the company over the past 3 months. I wonder how many other people have taken other positions outside GSK that I just don't know about at this time? Interesting. We started with 75. Wonder how many originals are left?
Do you know what type of internal positions they have taken? Sales, HAM, corp accts, something else??
Old 11-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Anonymous

The ones I know took positions as HAM's and Account Managers-they got a bump in salary and they get quarterly bonuses. RCE's do not get quarterly bonuses-they get an annual bonus which is pretty small. They werer frustrated with the RCE position and wanted more money-so they were glad to make the move into those positions. I have spoken to other RCE's in the country who are not thrilled with this position either=are looking for other opportunities.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Anonymous

Banghead Re: Respiratory Care Educator position

Seriously. Re-alignment for educators. New Managers for an expansion? More insanity. They are sharing the love with the RCE's now. Cluster.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:38 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
The ones I know took positions as HAM's and Account Managers-they got a bump in salary and they get quarterly bonuses. RCE's do not get quarterly bonuses-they get an annual bonus which is pretty small. They werer frustrated with the RCE position and wanted more money-so they were glad to make the move into those positions. I have spoken to other RCE's in the country who are not thrilled with this position either=are looking for other opportunities.
Thank you
Old 12-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Anonymous

Lol Re: Respiratory Care Educator position

I bet the reason some of the RCE's have left on the west coast is their manager!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Anonymous

Which one? California manager or the west region manager?
Old 12-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Anonymous

Do tell!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:49 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
You state that this position has no sales incentive, however, in the original job description it is firmly stated that comission is based on increasing sales of drugs that contain an ICS. This company sold this idea to providers stating that it was "not" a sales job. Very deceptive. How's it going for those who got this position?
I have found the RCE position both appealing and challenging. It is well aligned to the need to reimburse providers for clinical outcomes instead of the current fee for service paridaigm. Anyone who's been involved in selling to providers realize they have lots on their plate and need help teaching the "tricks-of-the-trade" to their staff for any chronic disease management. They need help engaging their patients to be adherent to the prescriptions they write. GSK has invested heavily in making this system work and have selected very talented individuals to make that happen. We are truly non-branded and have no control over fully 80% of our annual bonus. However, all things considered, for me it's a blessing to be well employed by a great company (like many others) who is looking out for the future well-being of patients vicariously through talented individuals. The fact that there's a profit involved is fine by me. After all, profit is behind everyone's employment in some way, shape or form.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:56 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Some great insights on this thread, thanks for posting. For those of you who are in an RCE role, it appears that geography and willingness of providers to work with PHARMA in this capacity is a key component to job satisfaction. Considering the dwindling access and credibility of the sales position (and PHARMA) as a whole, how would you evaluate the longevity/career potential of the RCE role now? Is it still "an experiment", and how would you evaluate it's future? I ask as someone who is considering applying for a position in an area where access is tough. ANY additional insights would be greatly appreciated!
I don't see it as an experiment. Nothing is certain, but they've fashioned the position after one they've had in the UK for over 20 years. I feel pretty secure unless I do something stupid (like any other position). Access is a problem in some areas of the country, but GSK has made many changes with personnel over the last 12 months which will improve the Educator's uptake in clinics and will help to restore the credibility we've damaged (as an industry) over the last several years. It's a truly great job and I look forward to continuing in this position for many years.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Anonymous

Is the same as the Community Pharmacy Educator?
Old 01-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Anonymous

Meant community pharmacy liason..same position?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Anonymous

No, totally different. The Community Pharm Liasions are branded with a BUDGET.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Anonymous

As far as fashioning this role after the one in the UK for 20 yrs.....don't they have socialized medicine? Big difference.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
As far as fashioning this role after the one in the UK for 20 yrs.....don't they have socialized medicine? Big difference.
Yeah. They have socialized medicine in the UK; not my favorite thing. There's no denying that we need to do different things in the US to get patients involved in doing their part to improve the outcomes for their chronic diseases. I'm proud that GSK is willing to step out and lead the charge supporting something different to improve outcomes. Sure, there'll be something in it for them (us), or they wouldn't do it - no surprise. But the fact that there is an alturistic bent to this position makes me feel really good about working for them and helping patients vicariously in the offices who work with me to a much greater extent than I could hope to accomplish as a bedside caregiver one on one. There is absolutely no tie-in to product sales for us. We're not allowed to use the "A" word, for example. Whenever we talk meds, it's always classifications. Bonuses are tied to overall corporate success (80%) and our MBO's (20%). No product tie-in. I personally don't expect bonuses until I see them. There is a firm line between educators and sales, no joint calls. I really enjoy the opportunity. BTY, I hate corporate kool-aid and have never drunk any!
Old 01-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Anonymous

Have any of the RCE's out there seen any changes or increased opportunities with the new CAM's on board? They started last July and I have seen NOTHING with them. Seriously, are they just sitting at home? I meet with mine and they have all of these accounts but no activity/appts with them yet?? What are everyone else's thoughts on this?
Old 01-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Anonymous

Are you serious?

Everyone's sitting at home right now. If they aren't they are sample dropping or sitting in Panera picking their ass wondering when the axe is going to drop again.

This whole job has become a joke. I give the RCE role 12 months before it's dramatically reduced i size. This goes for just about every other division in the company.

To date I have seen zero value from my RCE. Hospitals already have their own RCE's and primary care is too busy to bother trying to use your services. Why in the hell would hospitals want to bother with anRCE from the industry when they have one(or more) in house.

Enjoy this cupcake job for now because IMO it won't last.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Anonymous

Lol Re: Respiratory Care Educator position

Umm....spoken like a true rep. You are probably sitting at Panera as you typed this post. You probably wouldn't know "value" if it hit you in the face. I agree, there will be downsizing. However, I bet the RCE's will be around longer than the reps...only they will probably be carrying the samples that you once "dropped".
Old 01-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Yeah. They have socialized medicine in the UK; not my favorite thing. There's no denying that we need to do different things in the US to get patients involved in doing their part to improve the outcomes for their chronic diseases. I'm proud that GSK is willing to step out and lead the charge supporting something different to improve outcomes. Sure, there'll be something in it for them (us), or they wouldn't do it - no surprise. But the fact that there is an alturistic bent to this position makes me feel really good about working for them and helping patients vicariously in the offices who work with me to a much greater extent than I could hope to accomplish as a bedside caregiver one on one. There is absolutely no tie-in to product sales for us. We're not allowed to use the "A" word, for example. Whenever we talk meds, it's always classifications. Bonuses are tied to overall corporate success (80%) and our MBO's (20%). No product tie-in. I personally don't expect bonuses until I see them. There is a firm line between educators and sales, no joint calls. I really enjoy the opportunity. BTY, I hate corporate kool-aid and have never drunk any!
Seriously....if you hate corporate kool-aid...then what are you SMOKING?!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Anonymous

Okay, so now we have no materials to use until further notice??????
Old 01-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Anonymous

Smile Re: Respiratory Care Educator position

Quote:
Have any of the RCE's out there seen any changes or increased opportunities with the new CAM's on board? They started last July and I have seen NOTHING with them. Seriously, are they just sitting at home? I meet with mine and they have all of these accounts but no activity/appts with them yet?? What are everyone else's thoughts on this?
I imagine it's different in the varying geographies. My CAM is working hard. As the whole world of GSK's approach to customer service and focus has changed, it'll take a bit of time before all the new elements are able to get traction under this new paradigm. I believe it's all for the better and am proud to be a part of this needed change. I see great things on the horizon and will work very hard (and smart) to bring the value to the providers that'll trickle down to patients.

The materials thing presents a challenge, but the real value we bring is right between our ears. We can help providers develop great disease-management programs and they can find resources anywhere they like.

...and a RCE who smokes would be the pinnacle of hyprcracy. I'm just committed to this position because it's the right thing to do for patients. As a clinician, I take pride in that. The success of this opportunity rests soley on the shoulders of those of us who hold these positions and I intend to do all I can to make a great impact within my sphere of influence.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
I bet the reason some of the RCE's have left on the west coast is their manager!
Wrong. Manager's great. It was either not enough money, a better opportunity came along or they couldn't get nationally certified as an asthma educator after two tries (the more common problem).
Old 01-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Umm....spoken like a true rep. You are probably sitting at Panera as you typed this post. You probably wouldn't know "value" if it hit you in the face. I agree, there will be downsizing. However, I bet the RCE's will be around longer than the reps...only they will probably be carrying the samples that you once "dropped".
Ummm....you are wrong. I am not sitting at Panera because I can't afford it. I am at McDonalds and I eat from the dollar menu.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Anonymous

RCE is just another upper management blunder, passed down to bobble head yah sayers. Nobody has the balls to have said, "this is just a waste of time, money and resources".

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: