Happy Thanksgiving! Boards will be read-only today, November 27 from 2:00-7:00 PM ET. Click for details.

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

Go Back   Cafepharma Message Boards > Dental Reps > Dental Reps General Discussion
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dental Reps General Discussion Anonymous general discussion board for dental reps

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Anonymous

Default Invisalign

There is an invisalign sales position posted in my area. Any info on salary, benefits (car?),
hours, work environment, etc would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Anonymous

Default Re: Invisalign

I was a top rep for them for several years. They pay well and generally treat their sales team fairly. However, expect to work a ton of hours, if you want to be successful. The clinical nature of the position, as well as the training that you will need to provide for the dental practices, guidance to the dentist on individual patient cases, follow up, selling, lots and lots of internal emails and programs that constantly change (thanks Marketing dept.) semi micro managed depending on who your regional manager will be... It is a demanding position and expect to work consistent 60-80 hour weeks with some nights during the weeks for study clubs and some weekends for certifications and trade shows... you could skate by on 50 hours and maybe barely keep your job but to do it right, then 60 plus is required...and this would put you in the 120K+ range if you can hack it. There are some good people at Align, however like any job, there will be challenges and difficult personalities to deal with.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:47 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I was a top rep for them for several years. They pay well and generally treat their sales team fairly. However, expect to work a ton of hours, if you want to be successful. The clinical nature of the position, as well as the training that you will need to provide for the dental practices, guidance to the dentist on individual patient cases, follow up, selling, lots and lots of internal emails and programs that constantly change (thanks Marketing dept.) semi micro managed depending on who your regional manager will be... It is a demanding position and expect to work consistent 60-80 hour weeks with some nights during the weeks for study clubs and some weekends for certifications and trade shows... you could skate by on 50 hours and maybe barely keep your job but to do it right, then 60 plus is required...and this would put you in the 120K+ range if you can hack it. There are some good people at Align, however like any job, there will be challenges and difficult personalities to deal with.
60-80 hours? You're a moron.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Anonymous

"There are some good people at Align, however like any job, there will be challenges and difficult personalities to deal with."

Sounds like a prison sentence to me.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Anonymous

Considering the average dentist works 34 hours a week and orthodontists even fewer. What would this invisalign rep be doing for the remaining 40 hours per week that the dental offices are closed? Reports?
Old 12-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Anonymous

"It is a demanding position and expect to work consistent 60-80 hour weeks with some nights during the weeks for study clubs and some weekends for certifications and trade shows... "

With overtime, McDonalds seems the better choice....
Old 12-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
60-80 hours? You're a moron.
lol...whatever, internet tough guy....I guarantee you that to do the job properly it takes 60-80 hours per week. If you do work for Align in sales and dont put in that amount of time, then you are not going to perform very well...that is a fact. Guess you didnt get hired back in the Jack Guthrie days...cause that was a requirement back then.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Considering the average dentist works 34 hours a week and orthodontists even fewer. What would this invisalign rep be doing for the remaining 40 hours per week that the dental offices are closed? Reports?
Wake at about 6AM have your coffee and brush your teeth...sit down to approximately 15-20 corporate emails that you need to get back on...done by 8 out on the road by 8:30. Calls all day from 9-5, including a lunch and learn in the middle of it. Taking multiple phone calls coming in from doctors (dentists) that need assistance on cases, have issues with aligners etc... get home at 6, go get a work out...come home at 8 to see 40 more emails in your in box. 30 from corporate, and 10 from dentists asking you to "look at cases" or need advice on issues etc. You get them their answers, are done by 10ish or sometimes later. On Fridays, you can spend part of the day in office to fill out the corp. reports and salesforce.com CRM... you will work one weekend out of every 2 months approximately for certifications and other meetings... if you are on your job, then you have a local Invisalign study club that you do monthly... that takes up one evening during the week in addition to all of these other responsibilities...

again, guaranteed 60 hours per week, and up to 80s on other weeks...I averaged 70 and was a top 5 rep in the company every year that I was there.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Anonymous

Arms Re: Invisalign

PS: Count on spending 5-10 hours per weekend on organizing your territory, putting together your own programs and collateral specific to your territory etc. All of this adds up...yeah 60-80 per week. Book it.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:51 PM
Anonymous

Be Careful!

Currently, this is not a good place to be. Ask the managers to provide specific historical information on compensation for your territory. Trust and verify. Be careful.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Anonymous

"PS: Count on spending 5-10 hours per weekend on organizing your territory, putting together your own programs and collateral specific to your territory etc. All of this adds up...yeah 60-80 per week. (Book it) elipses added ."

CORRECTION: (Fuck it). Never.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Be Careful!

Currently, this is not a good place to be. Ask the managers to provide specific historical information on compensation for your territory. Trust and verify. Be careful.
Good advice...under the current dir. of sales, things have slipped and gotten very shady...many top reps have left. Its a good product, but the reps have to push hard to get dentists to take cases that are borderline and the product nor the dentist can handle... that alone is a risky proposition.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:34 AM
Anonymous

Really?? I'm looking at position now and mgr said nothing but great things?? Is comp plan achievable?
Old 08-29-2012, 05:32 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Really?? I'm looking at position now and mgr said nothing but great things?? Is comp plan achievable?

What is the manager's name or initials? I could tell you if he/she is honest or not.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:12 PM
Anonymous

JJ
Old 09-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Anonymous

he is a great guy and a great manager
Old 10-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Anonymous

Do a strong evaluation of hiring manager upon interview process.

Ask yourself do you trust this person. Good luck you will need it.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Anonymous

I was a rep for Align for over 5 years during the the heavy growth days. I literally worked maybe 20 hours per week and made over $145,000 four of those years. I know that it's very different now, but you would have to be the worst time manager in the world to work over 50 hours weekly.
Anyway, overall it's a good company. Just be sure your manager isn't going to drive you nuts. That is what eventually drove me to seek other employment. That, and I was putting in too many hours.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:11 AM
Anonymous

Agreed
Old 10-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
"It is a demanding position and expect to work consistent 60-80 hour weeks with some nights during the weeks for study clubs and some weekends for certifications and trade shows... "

With overtime, McDonalds seems the better choice....
If these hours are correct, then you would be better off working two 40 hour per week jobs that pay $100,000 each instead of one that pays $120,000.

You could be a dental rep and a home health care rep.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Anonymous

I don't know any job in dental that is easy
Old 10-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
I was a rep for Align for over 5 years during the the heavy growth days. I literally worked maybe 20 hours per week and made over $145,000 four of those years. I know that it's very different now, but you would have to be the worst time manager in the world to work over 50 hours weekly.
Anyway, overall it's a good company. Just be sure your manager isn't going to drive you nuts. That is what eventually drove me to seek other employment. That, and I was putting in too many hours.

I was there too, during the "heavy growth days". Everyone in my region was putting in well over 40 hours per week. Perhaps that is why we were up on the stage getting Pres Club awards from Tom and you werent with your alleged 20 hours per.

In other words...dont come here and BS... answering all of the Align internal emails alone, and dealing with the endless marketing programs is almost 20 hours a week without even hitting the field.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
If these hours are correct, then you would be better off working two 40 hour per week jobs that pay $100,000 each instead of one that pays $120,000.

You could be a dental rep and a home health care rep.
My earnings at Align averaged 180 per and yes I put in that kind of time there in order to get it done.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Anonymous

Do you think a new employee could make $180K today?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Anonymous

not a chance... i just had a call a few weeks back from the headhunter about a position with them. her words verbatim "entry level".... i also call big BS on anyone who claims to have made 180k with this company, unless it was earrrrly on in the offering
Old 10-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Anonymous

Received a call from recruiter for a position due to an "expansion" of the sales force. Is this a growth period? Or just filling for turnover? Any other insights are appreciated? Also, what's with this lawsuit?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
not a chance... i just had a call a few weeks back from the headhunter about a position with them. her words verbatim "entry level".... i also call big BS on anyone who claims to have made 180k with this company, unless it was earrrrly on in the offering

Well you are wrong, flat wrong. I made 180K+ with them just a few years ago.. and was one of several reps at that point earning that much. A few senior reps still do earn to that level.

Their "entry level" is set up now for rookies to cap at 85K and more experienced newbies at over 100K. Do some research before you make such claims.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Received a call from recruiter for a position due to an "expansion" of the sales force. Is this a growth period? Or just filling for turnover? Any other insights are appreciated? Also, what's with this lawsuit?
Filling churn is what they are doing. Their current management philosophy is to turn over 10% of the sales force each year at a minimum. The lawsuit is just one of many that Align has had over the years and is meaningless long term.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Anonymous

What Lawsuit?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
What Lawsuit?
He could be talking about the ClearCorrect lawsuit, and before that was the Orthoclear lawsuit which Align won and the Ormco battles which ended up in a win win for both companies. Align has very good legal consul and has been very successful in defending its patents. When I was a rep I spent a day in the field with the top lawyer...he is very very sharp. If not a patent thing, then it may be the FDA thing that he is talking about...a warning Align got concerning aligners causing some allergic outbreaks etc.

One of the reasons that I left Align was the the position increasingly demanded me to be up in a position to diagnose clinically, by the dentist. Increasingly, I was doing too much diagnosing in the patient mouth, because GPs were not orthodontists (I also called on orthos but it was a totally different bag to carry for them) and no matter how many Certs, CE or Study Clubs that I could get them too...most of the GPs still never used those resources and were well behind in their technique. It was a big part of my job to help fill that gap and guide the doctors in case selection, delivery, monitoring and finishing the case. I was told many times that my knowledge of ortho had become one that was on the same level as a dentist entering an orthodontic specialty. This came from necessity...and I was good at it...took pride in it (clinical knowledge), ultimately though...it became more and more clear (no pun intended) that there were no Ds after my name and I was being put in a compromising position from a legal standpoint, and I become more uncomfortable with doing that... so, among other things that started to pile up, I got out.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
He could be talking about the ClearCorrect lawsuit, and before that was the Orthoclear lawsuit which Align won and the Ormco battles which ended up in a win win for both companies. Align has very good legal consul and has been very successful in defending its patents. When I was a rep I spent a day in the field with the top lawyer...he is very very sharp. If not a patent thing, then it may be the FDA thing that he is talking about...a warning Align got concerning aligners causing some allergic outbreaks etc.

One of the reasons that I left Align was the the position increasingly demanded me to be up in a position to diagnose clinically, by the dentist. Increasingly, I was doing too much diagnosing in the patient mouth, because GPs were not orthodontists (I also called on orthos but it was a totally different bag to carry for them) and no matter how many Certs, CE or Study Clubs that I could get them too...most of the GPs still never used those resources and were well behind in their technique. It was a big part of my job to help fill that gap and guide the doctors in case selection, delivery, monitoring and finishing the case. I was told many times that my knowledge of ortho had become one that was on the same level as a dentist entering an orthodontic specialty. This came from necessity...and I was good at it...took pride in it (clinical knowledge), ultimately though...it became more and more clear (no pun intended) that there were no Ds after my name and I was being put in a compromising position from a legal standpoint, and I become more uncomfortable with doing that... so, among other things that started to pile up, I got out.
It is like that in every aspect of dentistry sales, pretty pathetic if you ask me.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Anonymous

A headhunter had discussed a territory manager position with this company with me. How does this company treat their employees?
Old 11-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Anonymous

'A headhunter had discussed a territory manager position with this company with me. How does this company treat their employees?'

Your answer above.

The only way to look at headhunters is down. Shun them.

You're Welcome.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
'A headhunter had discussed a territory manager position with this company with me. How does this company treat their employees?'

Your answer above.

The only way to look at headhunters is down. Shun them.

You're Welcome.
what an idiot
Old 11-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
I was there too, during the "heavy growth days". Everyone in my region was putting in well over 40 hours per week. Perhaps that is why we were up on the stage getting Pres Club awards from Tom and you werent with your alleged 20 hours per.

In other words...dont come here and BS... answering all of the Align internal emails alone, and dealing with the endless marketing programs is almost 20 hours a week without even hitting the field.
Im not sure why you would think I would lie about this. I worked there from 2003 to 2008, averaged $145,000 per year and worked about 20 hours per week. Some weeks more, some less. You are right, I never received a trophy from TP, but I was enjoying making six figures while working part time hours, and making my numbers. I chose great pay and a lot of golf over working 50 hours a week for a plastic trophy that no one cares about.
From what I hear, those days are long gone. I was great whil it lasted.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:20 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Im not sure why you would think I would lie about this. I worked there from 2003 to 2008, averaged $145,000 per year and worked about 20 hours per week. Some weeks more, some less. You are right, I never received a trophy from TP, but I was enjoying making six figures while working part time hours, and making my numbers. I chose great pay and a lot of golf over working 50 hours a week for a plastic trophy that no one cares about.
From what I hear, those days are long gone. I was great whil it lasted.
I know I am going to get sarcastic results for even asking the question, but I hope even if the response is negative, I hope it will have some semblance of reality to it. What do your District Managers make on average and what is average of your Directors? Again, I know there will be discrepancies in the pay like there is with any other sales position, but would like your honest assessment as I look at this position. Thank you
Old 03-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Anonymous

Curious to get some feedback from a current Invisalign rep about earning potential, company culture, work day etc

thanks!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Anonymous

where are all the former invisalign reps now?
Old 05-27-2014, 10:27 PM
Anonymous

We be long gone.... Upward and onward my friend!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:05 AM
Anonymous

So what's the latest salary like for a territory manager/specialist?
Old 07-18-2014, 08:56 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
So what's the latest salary like for a territory manager/specialist?
$55k salary with $3k draw on commission monthly. Very aggressive growth numbers expected but top territories can make $150k+.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:37 PM
Anonymous

Do you have any info on Align Tech. I saw a few post from 2012 about long hours, but good pay. Is that still the case. Any info would be helpful.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:50 PM
Anonymous

There was a district manager or regional manager with the initials JM out of Chicago area. What is the story with him? Good or bad? What ever became of him? What was the management style of this company overall?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: