for daily banking news and anonymous message boards, check out the new site cafebanking.com

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

Go Back   Cafepharma Message Boards > Medical Equipment/Device Sales > Zimmer
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Zimmer Anonymous board for Zimmer

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 60 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Anonymous

Default Zimmer's New Knee System...Persona

Heads up to the entire orthopedic industry...Watch out! Zimmer's new knee system is Unbelievable!
Old 03-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Anonymous

Default Re: Zimmer's New Knee System...Persona

Yea, and I bet it has years and years of clinical outcome results!!!!! Another marketing success and sales failure.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Heads up to the entire orthopedic industry...Watch out! Zimmer's new knee system is Unbelievable!
gosh, another new knee from zimmer. what's wrong with the other 34 knees zimmer makes. zimmer has a winner with this one for sure (wink, wink)
Old 03-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Anonymous

Lol Re: Zimmer's New Knee System...Persona

No smoke and mirrors here. I was able to see the system in a private showing at AAOS and it truly will be a "game changer". The knee implant itself combines all of the design features that make the NexGen the #1 selling knee and least revised per registry results, FACT!!!! But the instruments are and will be the most intuitive in the industry bar none with only 3 trays needed!!!

I was in the conference room when 2 competitive, world renowned and industry respected surgeons were just leaving. Apparently discussing the possibility of being a part of the evaluation panel...........lookout Biomet,Depuy. Wink, wink, you may be losing some of your consultants!!!

So rather than a 27% market share in knees Zimmer will probably be in the 35% by 2015, sucks for you guys!!!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Anonymous

Except of course the British Joint registry (which has more data than the registries they love to quote combined) . Where it had a 30% higher revision rate than the PFC, and 40% more than Triathlon and Vanguard.
Our surgeons ask about it, and why the figures are so different, they just blame the figures not being put in right (blame the customer!).

As for these well respected surgeons, I wonder how much they will get paid to sit on the panel!? All totally above board, but still doesn't smell right.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Anonymous

yeah you're right, way to spin it. So the Swedish and Australian and to a lesser extent, Italian, Canadian and Netherlands didn't get it right?? Hmmmmm, something doesn't smell right?

Although it is laughable that you mention Vangaurd and Triathlon. Even with very few units implanted, those two systems have alarming revision rates. What's surprising is that these implants are failing because of design flaws; wait until that garbage poly begins to oxidize invivo in 6-8 years!!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Anonymous

Default Don't like the results? Just Ignore them!

You are so right about something not smelling right. Lets just hope they don't base persona on the Flex!

Once again, ignore the results you don't like, PFC comes out better in the Australian, English, and New Zealand registries, you CAN pick some nice headline figures mostly based on the CR (the lowest selling brand), and compare them to the figures of the competitors combined figures for Cruciate retaining and sacrificing), apples with oranges.

New Zealand Joint Registry (failure per 100 obs yrs):
Triathlon Failure Rate: 0.39
PFC: 0.43
NexGen LPS Flex 0.74, LPS 0.59, CR 0.37, CR Flex 0.56) (average 0.53)

The Australian Joint Registry, Nexgen STILL comes out worse than the PFC.

PFC: 0.55
NexGen (average of CR, CR Flex, LPS, LPS Flex): 0.6
Triathlon 0.72

Then you quote the Italian registry which doesn't actually compare the NexGen to the Vanguard or Triathlon, and only about 1,000 PFC's

Averages calculated from actual observed years etc.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Anonymous

Default Re: Don't like the results? Just Ignore them!

Quote:
You are so right about something not smelling right. Lets just hope they don't base persona on the Flex!

Once again, ignore the results you don't like, PFC comes out better in the Australian, English, and New Zealand registries, you CAN pick some nice headline figures mostly based on the CR (the lowest selling brand), and compare them to the figures of the competitors combined figures for Cruciate retaining and sacrificing), apples with oranges.

New Zealand Joint Registry (failure per 100 obs yrs):
Triathlon Failure Rate: 0.39
PFC: 0.43
NexGen LPS Flex 0.74, LPS 0.59, CR 0.37, CR Flex 0.56) (average 0.53)

The Australian Joint Registry, Nexgen STILL comes out worse than the PFC.

PFC: 0.55
NexGen (average of CR, CR Flex, LPS, LPS Flex): 0.6
Triathlon 0.72

Then you quote the Italian registry which doesn't actually compare the NexGen to the Vanguard or Triathlon, and only about 1,000 PFC's

Averages calculated from actual observed years etc.
Im looking at page 137 of the Australian 2011 report for cemented knees. (most common)
I read the PFC Sigma MBT at 4.9 and the Sigma at 5.8 Cumulative percent revision.
The NexGen CR is at 2.7 and the LPS is at 4.6.

I then look at the 2011 Swedish report. (page 30) PFC is .83 and Nex Gen is .56. (low score is good)

So, help me out here....which knees system is showing better results at 10 years . BTW, these are the only two registries globally that have hit the 10 year mark.

(the answer is NexGen , by the way !)
Old 03-14-2012, 07:39 AM
Anonymous

Zimmer is DEAD in South Florida, a large market, why? Its because your reputation with ETHICAL physicians is for shit. Combine that with the new Distributor who's old school and will just contiue your wicked ways of old and the flatline will continue....except for those doing "soft" research...
Old 03-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Anonymous

Zimmer must be the only company out there desperately pushing their surgeons change to a design with results that have been clearly proven to give poorer results to their patients!
Old 03-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Anonymous

Default NexGen Flex 40% higher revision rates than old design!

Quote:
So, help me out here....which knees system is showing better results at 10 years . BTW, these are the only two registries globally that have hit the 10 year mark.

(the answer is NexGen , by the way !)
Again ignore what the registries tell you, some great Headline figures for the OLD NexGen, but the NexGen your surgeons are putting in TODAY is not half as good.

A NexGen patient TODAY is likely to suffer a 40% higher risk of revision than a patient 10 years ago!!!! (p136) as they will get the lovely Flex implant!

The NexGen CR cemented does have great results, but how many of those go in now? (Page 121 of the Aussie registry tells us it was only 117 in 2010), compared to 2,438 LPS flex with that lovely high revision rate!

Lets look at the Swedish Joint Registry too, yes, great HISTORICAL figures based on the old design, but again, Flex is starting to make an impact!! Relative risk of revision :

2007 0.40
2009 0.47,
2011 0.56,

NICE! Where will it end up!? (up being the operative word! )

Perhaps you could remind us how your surgeons can put in a standard CR or LPS with the much vaunted new instruments...
AnNS: They can't!!

So it's no surprise that the newer registries, where the standard CR and LPS implant is less prevalent, and the figures are combined, the figures are much worse!

Unfortunately either of us CANNOT state if the CR or PS versions of competing products have a higher revision rate than their Zimmer contemporaries as the figures are not available. But the average is lower than the Zimmer average!
Old 03-15-2012, 04:26 AM
Anonymous

They used to love the British results here, when their results started getting worse, their marketing dept started slagging it off.
When the Oz's started separating the results out, they blamed the poor flex results on the low numbers, now they just ignore them.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Anonymous

Arms Re: Zimmer's New Knee System...Persona

Watch what happens with Triathlon's results in 10 years with that shit poly and the same goes for Vanguard using compression molded 1st generation poly.

Look at the numerous recalls and negative whitepapers and patellar clunk and the 30% lateral release rate with PFC. Keep spinning rookie!!
Old 03-17-2012, 05:55 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Zimmer is DEAD in South Florida, a large market, why? Its because your reputation with ETHICAL physicians is for shit. Combine that with the new Distributor who's old school and will just contiue your wicked ways of old and the flatline will continue....except for those doing "soft" research...
Zimmer is dead in South Florida because of piss poor representation. Zimmer has a fantastic product portfolio and one would think a monkey could sell Zimmer. We are all proven wrong as the monkeys can't sell anything. "Ethical" surgeons in SF, now that's funny!!
Old 03-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Zimmer is dead in South Florida because of piss poor representation. Zimmer has a fantastic product portfolio and one would think a monkey could sell Zimmer. We are all proven wrong as the monkeys can't sell anything. "Ethical" surgeons in SF, now that's funny!!
What do you expect from reps who are the cast offs of SNN? Orange and white Monkeys!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Anonymous

Yeh, the reps say the same thing, great products, crap management.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:58 AM
Anonymous

Amen to that !
Old 04-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Anonymous

Argue Re: Zimmer's New Knee System...Persona

Did Zimmer get rid of that femoral box cut, where a size shares the M/L with one size and the A/P with the other? No wonder they have those minus, plus, and women's sizes. It all starts with the box cut.

PFC will look bad for a while because every knee was a mobile bearing, just some more than others. PFC results should improve with the tighter poly constraint initiated 5-6 years ago.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Anonymous

This is an awesome thread. Both sides please keep it going.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Anonymous

I'm a fan of another new system for the company of imitation. My guess is they'll try to come out with something no one has ever though of, like antioxidant poly, half sizes in the femur. Maybe even a ps plus option, or an instrument platform that doesn't make you take a completely extra cut so that your patella actually tracks! Exciting times!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
I'm a fan of another new system for the company of imitation. My guess is they'll try to come out with something no one has ever though of, like antioxidant poly, half sizes in the femur. Maybe even a ps plus option, or an instrument platform that doesn't make you take a completely extra cut so that your patella actually tracks! Exciting times!
Nice try tool, is that what you're telling your surgeons? Biomet AND Zimmer developed E-Poly in a partnership with MIT, FACT! Nexgen takes a 2mm trochlea cut so you don't overstuff the PFJ by adding extra material on the lateral condyle.

All of the other knee designs resect about 4-6 mm from the anterior femur, but then add an additional 2-3 mm to the already resected 4-6 mm of metal to the PFJ, which then leads to overstuffing, FACT!!

This is exactly why they're revising all those clunking Sigma's, patellar tilting Vanguards and Triathlons and just plane garbage Journey and Genesis knees!!!!

Better go back to sales training or fire your sales manager before you make a fool out of yourself.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
patellar tilting Vanguards
Please explain. Seriously. I've heard this, but know little as to why this happens with that knee
Old 04-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Anonymous

Here's some good news...

DEVICE: ZIMMER PERSONA KNEE SYSTEM
ZIMMER INC. 510(k) NO: K113369(TRADITIONAL)
ATTN: KELLI ANDERSON PHONE NO : 574 371 8087
P.O. BOX 708 SE DECISION MADE: 27-MAR-12
WARSAW IN 46581 0708 510(k) SUMMARY AVAILABLE FROM FDA
Old 04-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Nice try tool, is that what you're telling your surgeons? Biomet AND Zimmer developed E-Poly in a partnership with MIT, FACT! Nexgen takes a 2mm trochlea cut so you don't overstuff the PFJ by adding extra material on the lateral condyle.

All of the other knee designs resect about 4-6 mm from the anterior femur, but then add an additional 2-3 mm to the already resected 4-6 mm of metal to the PFJ, which then leads to overstuffing, FACT!!

This is exactly why they're revising all those clunking Sigma's, patellar tilting Vanguards and Triathlons and just plane garbage Journey and Genesis knees!!!!

Better go back to sales training or fire your sales manager before you make a fool out of yourself.
E-poly and MIT have nothing to do with one another. Come on Zimmer rep...Mass Gen (MGH)/Harris and Cambridge poly have historically been a Zimmer poly institution. I suggest reading the UHMWPE Materials Handbook in order to get your facts straight.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Anonymous

Come, we know zimmer are reading out of an old marketing book, all the 'FACT' quotes, just mostly out of date and sadly misguided.

The big question is whether Persona will follow Zimmer's recent trend of introducing/ replacing products with ones with worse clinical performance such as Flex...FACT.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Anonymous

Arms Re: Zimmer's New Knee System...Persona

Quote:
E-poly and MIT have nothing to do with one another. Come on Zimmer rep...Mass Gen (MGH)/Harris and Cambridge poly have historically been a Zimmer poly institution. I suggest reading the UHMWPE Materials Handbook in order to get your facts straight.
In conjunction with MIT douche, since when does Mass Gen Hospital or any other hospital for that fact design and develope ortho devices?

C'mon Biomet rep, go back to your sales training manuals again and look how real crosslinked poly is manufactured, and then how Arcom poly is purchased through the Indiana Fisher Price plant. FACT!!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Anonymous

The Harris lab is housed inside of MGH, is it not? Where do you think a majority of funding for Harris comes from? http://www.massgeneral.org/research/...b.aspx?id=1018
Old 05-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Anonymous

Any news on Persona?
Old 06-29-2012, 01:50 AM
Anonymous

Just got it in our distributorship. Amazing system.....
Old 06-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Anonymous

I'm a Zimmer rep in the Carolina's. I just saw the Attune knee system in Central Processing. I could not believe my eyes. DePuy is cutting a troch recess for their CR knee.

1st ASR recall.... Now this! Holy shit!!! What a debacle
Old 07-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Anonymous

I'm guessing that the guy who is slinging around the words 'tool' and 'douche' is a Zimmer rep? Seems a little defensive about his new knee system. By the way, it is indeed MGH. (Guess I could type 'FACT' here, but that seems too easy.)
Old 08-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Anonymous

Still nothing on the website, except for details on all their instruments:
http://www.zimmer.com/en-US/hcp/glob...-cleaning.jspx
Old 09-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Anonymous

That's because it won't be in anyone's hands (including consultants) till end of year. Zimmer reps always lie..... So does their company.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Anonymous

Zimmerox.... The copy company! Rushing to market with a new knee.... Just like that INCREDIBLE anterior stem they came up with.... Fitmore (or less)
Old 09-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Anonymous

Looks like I was right, the performance figures in worlds largest registry, the NJR, survivorship results have dropped yet again (as per my speculation, that increasing numbers of Flex are upsetting the numbers)!
Bring on Nexgens replacement, based on Flex technology!

The Nexgen has been shown to perform worse at 5 years than:
AGC, PFC, MRK, Profix, and Triathlon and within 0.05% of Vanguard.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Looks like I was right, the performance figures in worlds largest registry, the NJR, survivorship results have dropped yet again (as per my speculation, that increasing numbers of Flex are upsetting the numbers)!
Bring on Nexgens replacement, based on Flex technology!

The Nexgen has been shown to perform worse at 5 years than:
AGC, PFC, MRK, Profix, and Triathlon and within 0.05% of Vanguard.
you must be quoting the 2011 numbers, since the 2012 report is not out yet ?
And, can you quote the page you are reading from, since the numbers I read show differently ??
Old 10-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Anonymous

Where can we find more information of the Persona knee such as design rationale and surgical technique?
Is it already available in europe?
Old 10-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Anonymous

Not sure, but this video has some good info.

http://youtu.be/eoFFg0W9UME
Old 10-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Anonymous

I went to Adam Sanford's linkedin page and he writes he was working on a knee system to replace 75% of Zimmie's market. This must be the persona system, which the FDA document predicates upon NexGen and the natural knee.

Adam is no longer there, and leaving just at release begs some questions. I know if I had just redesigned Zimmer's knee system, I would want a big promotion. But with recent reviews averaging crappy, there might not be a lot of room. Add to that any good reviews going to CB's princesses(there are about 15-20 mini-CB), it was even worse. So now the biggest release in Zimmie's history, and the designer is gone.

You can blame top management but mid management is slack after years of promoting yes people. Until the whole house is cleaned, turmoil will follow.

Also, here is an instrument cleaning page:
Old 10-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
I went to Adam Sanford's linkedin page and he writes he was working on a knee system to replace 75% of Zimmie's market. This must be the persona system, which the FDA document predicates upon NexGen and the natural knee.

Adam is no longer there, and leaving just at release begs some questions. I know if I had just redesigned Zimmer's knee system, I would want a big promotion. But with recent reviews averaging crappy, there might not be a lot of room. Add to that any good reviews going to CB's princesses(there are about 15-20 mini-CB), it was even worse. So now the biggest release in Zimmie's history, and the designer is gone.

You can blame top management but mid management is slack after years of promoting yes people. Until the whole house is cleaned, turmoil will follow.

Also, here is an instrument cleaning page:
what is cb's princesses? 15-20 mini cb? your post makes no sense. The surgeons behind this new knee are some of the brightest in the industry so I doubt this knee system is being reviewed as averaging crappy except by competitors who always say zimmer knees are crappy.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
you must be quoting the 2011 numbers, since the 2012 report is not out yet ?
And, can you quote the page you are reading from, since the numbers I read show differently ??

9th Annual Report is available on their website: p166, also check out their prosthesis used lists.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Anonymous

The 'brightest' surgeons have very little to do with design of this implant. What makes you think that any one surgeon devoted more hours to this implant than the senior engineer? Try 10hrs/day 5 days/week 50weeks/yr for 3-4 years vs the surgeon 2 hrs/day, 1 day every other month for 1 year. Who deserves the big royalty check?
Old 11-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
The 'brightest' surgeons have very little to do with design of this implant. What makes you think that any one surgeon devoted more hours to this implant than the senior engineer? Try 10hrs/day 5 days/week 50weeks/yr for 3-4 years vs the surgeon 2 hrs/day, 1 day every other month for 1 year. Who deserves the big royalty check?
The motivation of engineers across the industry is slipping now that these royalty deals are made public. Who's to say an engineer's ip isn't worth anything close to a surgeon's ip.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Anonymous

I saw the Persona instruments yesterday for the first time. They are awesome. However, still no literature available and no release date....
Old 11-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Anonymous

yea, they are almost as slick as DePuy's Attune knee instruments.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Zimmer must be the only company out there desperately pushing their surgeons change to a design with results that have been clearly proven to give poorer results to their patients!
Not so fast. The boys at DePuy seem to have the same philosophy. JBJS 11/7/2012. Mobile Bearing article. Oh and of course, lets not forget the Stryker recall on their MRI/CT blocks. Seems like a bunch of people living in glass houses here. Enjoy your battles folks. Zimmer may or may not have a game changer here. From the outside, I see a lot of companies going after design philosophy initiated by ZMH. Now is when you as a competitor to ZMH say, "but they market not design." To you I say, "30 Year Knee" or "Get Around Knee" or "Lifetime Knee Implant Replacement Warranty". Now, GO EXACTECH!!
Old 11-28-2012, 06:42 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Not so fast. The boys at DePuy seem to have the same philosophy. JBJS 11/7/2012. Mobile Bearing article. Oh and of course, lets not forget the Stryker recall on their MRI/CT blocks. Seems like a bunch of people living in glass houses here. Enjoy your battles folks. Zimmer may or may not have a game changer here. From the outside, I see a lot of companies going after design philosophy initiated by ZMH. Now is when you as a competitor to ZMH say, "but they market not design." To you I say, "30 Year Knee" or "Get Around Knee" or "Lifetime Knee Implant Replacement Warranty". Now, GO EXACTECH!!
Update - all of you work for big corporations that could care less about you. Strange how you people have fallen in love with this knee or that knee but they are all just brand name pieces of metal and poly marketed by orthopedic implant manufacturers.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Update - all of you work for big corporations that could care less about you. Strange how you people have fallen in love with this knee or that knee but they are all just brand name pieces of metal and poly marketed by orthopedic implant manufacturers.
That's one way of looking at it, but I think that's a pretty narrow viewpoint. There's a lot that goes into the design, manufacturing, sales, and service of an implant. Each company does it a different way. Those minor differences can mean a lot in the long run. That's something to consider if you're the one implanting or receiving an implant.

I don't know who you are or what you do but it doesn't sound like you have any business in orthopedics. Just sayin.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Anonymous

Crap! I can't wait for the Persona so it can free up Nex Gen inst and implants for my territory. That is what nice when a fellow Zimmer rep switches companies because we have extra goodies to park at my hospitals.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
That's one way of looking at it, but I think that's a pretty narrow viewpoint. There's a lot that goes into the design, manufacturing, sales, and service of an implant. Each company does it a different way. Those minor differences can mean a lot in the long run. That's something to consider if you're the one implanting or receiving an implant.

I don't know who you are or what you do but it doesn't sound like you have any business in orthopedics. Just sayin.
"Just sayin" is juvenile banter best left to those twelve years of age and under. Thanks for the obvious input as it relates to design, manufacturing, sales, service, etc. Go ahead and fall in love with whatever orthopedic product you like, the point is that it is just a corporate output. A relatively small group of so-called elite surgeons are paid handsomely to promote a brand and in doing so, they hope to convince the majority of ortho surgeons that it all makes perfect sense. Corporations care about profit a lot more than do about a sales rep in Idaho, a surgeon in Bangor and virtually nothing about the average patient waiting for one of their treasured implants.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: