for daily banking news and anonymous message boards, check out the new site cafebanking.com

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

» Sponsored ads

Go Back   Cafepharma Message Boards > Laboratory/Diagnostic Sales > Quest Diagnostics
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Anonymous

Default Re: Quest IT Outsourcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
It is no surprise that Quest would outsource. Outsource will probably do a better job with half the people because at least they will have people working. Not like the current Quest IT that is never in the office. working from home if you think. or 200 TOP days a year and only put in 20.
The BYOD so they can answer the phone/emails from the golf course or the mall or wherever else you hide.

You guys did it to yourselves.

Now see if your next job will tolerate the laziness.
Even if they let everyone go at the end of the week , End users would not even notice
That is pretty harsh. I've been with Quest several years and had contact with some pretty hard working dedicated people. Sorry to see them losing their jobs.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:24 AM
Anonymous

Jester Re: Quest IT Outsourcing

Quote:
lol. Troll. Probably works for LabCorp.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:30 AM
Anonymous

I remember when new IT "leadership" came in from Red Cross. They were going to show us how to "build systems" and how "time to market" was going to drive this.

They were going to replace ISIS fast and standardize all the labs in a short time among other things. Still waiting for this 12 years later.

The point is they came without studing or understanding and tried to change things in too "big" a way, too fast.

Sound familiar?

PS - Make no mistake the approach to replace and standardize the labs inculding ISIS cost the company millions upon millions but does not come close to the scope of what these new guys are rushing into.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:15 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
I heard that they are outsourcing to TCS and shuttiing down most IT functions TIme frame 17 weeks from now. I think they are positioning the company for sale, maybe to Humana maybe KP. The new "logistics platform" they announced in their quarterly report is smoke and mirrors, but they are going ahead to keep up their street cred. Sigh. Where is Ken when we need him
Ken is Dean of a Business School in Boston where he walks around all day with that Mr. Earnest mask on his face spewing his simplistic leadership babble. The man just doesn't strike me as being very knowledgeable, but he does put on a good act........for a kindergarten class, that is. He rode a big wave, but didn't make the wave.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:52 AM
Anonymous

Lol Re: Quest IT Outsourcing

Quote:
It is no surprise that Quest would outsource. Outsource will probably do a better job with half the people because at least they will have people working. Not like the current Quest IT that is never in the office. working from home if you think. or 200 TOP days a year and only put in 20.
The BYOD so they can answer the phone/emails from the golf course or the mall or wherever else you hide.

You guys did it to yourselves.

Even if they let everyone go at the end of the week , End users would not even notice
It appears as if the senior management team has found out about the little blog and we may of hurt someones feelings. Otherwise, we have a minimum wage obama phone carrying, mad at the world, 3rd grade illiterate toothless hillbilly who is angry that SOME people have worked hard in their careers and have EARNED a few benefits. We will earn more in 6mos on unemployment than you will in the next 3 yrs.

My advice to you is...make sure you get stall number 3 this morning. I left you a steaming present.

Oh...your trailer is on fire, too.....
Old 08-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
That is pretty harsh. I've been with Quest several years and had contact with some pretty hard working dedicated people. Sorry to see them losing their jobs.
Like you said "Some"...that some is all the outsourcer needs 20% make a difference
80% just take up real estate and attend conference calls

No I do not work for Lab Corp. I was a long time Quest Employee and decided to make a move early before the scramble begins

Wake up call for all
Old 08-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
I remember when new IT "leadership" came in from Red Cross. They were going to show us how to "build systems" and how "time to market" was going to drive this.

They were going to replace ISIS fast and standardize all the labs in a short time among other things. Still waiting for this 12 years later.

The point is they came without studing or understanding and tried to change things in too "big" a way, too fast.

Sound familiar?

PS - Make no mistake the approach to replace and standardize the labs inculding ISIS cost the company millions upon millions but does not come close to the scope of what these new guys are rushing into.
The FAILURE to replace and standardize the labs is what has cost the company millions... hundreds of millions in value. They didnt move too fast - they weren't allowed to move at all. MHG had he hands tied by Surya and Dick Mahoney.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Anonymous

Grumble Re: Quest IT Outsourcing

Quote:
3rd grade illiterate toothless hillbilly
Is it really necessary to insult the hillbillies by grouping them in with the SLT?
Old 08-08-2013, 06:51 AM
Anonymous

Well, it's Thursday and there's no announcement. I guess my job is safe.... time to reset more passwords and hang out at the golf course!
Old 08-08-2013, 07:11 AM
Anonymous

Quote:

Sound familiar?

I remember thinking at the time that I thought that the Red Cross showed up AFTER a disaster, not to create the disaster.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Anonymous

Banghead Re: Quest IT Outsourcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Cat
Quest Diagnostics (NYSE DGX) was upgraded by analysts at Maxim Group from a “hold” rating to a “buy” rating in a research report issued to clientsand investors on Thursday [Aug 8th, 2013], Analyst Ratings Network.com reports. The firm currently has a $73.00 target price on the stock. Maxim Group’s price objective points to a potential upside of 25.24% from the company’s current price.
More people drinking the Kool-Aid.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Anonymous

Rant Re: Quest IT Outsourcing

No news?? What happened to the announcement this Thursday?? I don't think this will happened until the end of the year. Quest does their firing and layoffs around Nov. during the holidays.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
No news?? What happened to the announcement this Thursday?? I don't think this will happened until the end of the year. Quest does their firing and layoffs around Nov. during the holidays.
Agreed. But given how the application development teams outsourcing contract was handled and assuming the infrastructure contract is handled similarly then in order to have the layoffs finalized (and bodies out the door and off the books) by Nov (as you suggest) then we would have an announcement 90 days prior. Call it mid-Nov (to pick something) and that means we would have an 90-day announcement by mid-August. So it is still quite likely we are going to find out soon how many IT people from infrastructure are going to be outsourced.
If these people are not off the books from Quest Diagnostics by the end of the year then the outsourcing efforts will not have the impact the SLT is looking for.
Happy Holidays.......
Old 08-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Supposedly next week. They had "signature issues" with Wipro and it delayed the Town Hall meeting by a few days.

Pretty transparent huh?
Old 08-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Supposedly next week. They had "signature issues" with Wipro and it delayed the Town Hall meeting by a few days.

Pretty transparent huh?
Heard BL is the one dropping the axe on everyone in IT. He is TW's chosen boy.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Unless he gets another promotion that would not make sense. Right now he has nothing to do with IT Infrastructure. Good chance we will find out this upcoming week but I doubt this one.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:36 AM
Anonymous

IT Infrastructure mass layoff announcement this week perhaps?
Old 08-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Anonymous

JH trying to break the severance packages .
Certain states do not require it. Some will just be walked to the door one morning
You really think that they are thinking of your future. No loyality to anyone but themselves.
I wish everyone the best...
Old 08-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance..but who's BL?
Old 08-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
JH trying to break the severance packages .
Certain states do not require it. Some will just be walked to the door one morning
You really think that they are thinking of your future. No loyality to anyone but themselves.
I wish everyone the best...
Would they be able to do that without changing the policies in the employee handbook first? Anything is possible but it doesn't seem as likely. The policies are updated every year and for next year it certainly would be prudent for anybody still working here to review what has changed. (Especially the section on termination.) I still think that any layoffs that are initiated this year would be using the policies as already written.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance..but who's BL?
IT Enterprise Application Development.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Would they be able to do that without changing the policies in the employee handbook first? Anything is possible but it doesn't seem as likely. The policies are updated every year and for next year it certainly would be prudent for anybody still working here to review what has changed. (Especially the section on termination.) I still think that any layoffs that are initiated this year would be using the policies as already written.
Under when you do not get severance...
· When the Plan Administrator determines that under the circumstances, or because of misconduct after termination, it would not be in the best interests of the company to provide severance under this Plan.

And then there's this section
The company reserves the complete and absolute right to terminate, suspend or modify the Plan in whole or in part at any time without notice. No benefits are vested or accrued in connection with the Plan at any time.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Under when you do not get severance...
· When the Plan Administrator determines that under the circumstances, or because of misconduct after termination, it would not be in the best interests of the company to provide severance under this Plan.

And then there's this section
The company reserves the complete and absolute right to terminate, suspend or modify the Plan in whole or in part at any time without notice. No benefits are vested or accrued in connection with the Plan at any time.
Yeah - there is that.....
Old 08-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Anonymous

Meeting this Wednesday at 1:30p to consummate the selling of our souls... I'm really kind of surprised after today's manager meeting that no details are leaking out yet...
Old 08-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Meeting this Wednesday at 1:30p to consummate the selling of our souls... I'm really kind of surprised after today's manager meeting that no details are leaking out yet...
The mgrs were probably threatened.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
The mgrs were probably threatened.
Everyone looked DOWN..... THE PLACE IS filled with walking dead
The best part is that the call in number was sent with "PLEASE do not forward" LOL
Just waiting for someone to post that and TW's cell number from his Out of Office message....
Old 08-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Anonymous

From what I understand the WiPro contract being announced tomorrow covers 95% of IT Infrastructure so over 1400 jobs. Everyone below L5 is toast and probably half of them will be as well. A few from the project office may stick around to ease the transition beyond the 90 days but ultimately their time is numbered as well. HR will be contacting people to give them an end date but everyone should be out the door by Thanksgiving at the latest.

JH was definitely trying to find ways to weasel out of paying severance packages.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
JH was definitely trying to find ways to weasel out of paying severance packages.

But the key question is - did he find a way?
Old 08-13-2013, 01:59 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
He's no lawyer. Anybody with half a legal-brain would know that the lawsuits would make the severance payouts look like peanuts. As soon as one person files a lawsuit, there will be 1500 more jumping on board, so Quest needs to do the right thing and pay people for and what's been outlined in Quest policy, and what they've earned.

Before you accuse me of not "earning" anything, I've personally spent hundreds of hours working on weekends, after-hours and away from my family for Quest. I'm salaried, so one could argue that I don't not get paid for these hours regardless of what is expected from a salaried FTE...I've gone above and beyond. If someone thinks differently, I challenge them to explain why. I'll work circles around that person because I'm confident in my skills and know that any failures of IT have absolutely nothing to do with me or my work.

BTW - I'm off today working on my own DR plan, so keep snarky comments about being on a forum during work hours to yourself.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
His first plan was top offer a bunch of people crappy jobs to replace the ones they have, instead of giving them severance, hoping they'd quit. I know of 4 people working with lawyers to sue over constructive termination, and I guess there would be more I don't know about.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
From what I understand the WiPro contract being announced tomorrow covers 95% of IT Infrastructure so over 1400 jobs. Everyone below L5 is toast and probably half of them will be as well. A few from the project office may stick around to ease the transition beyond the 90 days but ultimately their time is numbered as well. HR will be contacting people to give them an end date but everyone should be out the door by Thanksgiving at the latest.

IT under TW has 1400, inf under JD has 425+. Guessing 300 of the 425 will get let go. Still ALOT of families will be effected with this. Quest will suffer dearly in next 12-18 months with this, but I'm betting in 2-3 yrs they will bring back in house. But by that time CEO and friends will have made their millions in bonuses for "cutting costs" and move on.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
I'm salaried, so one could argue that I don't not get paid for these hours regardless of what is expected from a salaried FTE...I've gone above and beyond.
Salaried = indentured servant

Take the hours you actually work and figure out the "real" hourly rate. Including all the middle of the night and weekend hours which many people in IT Infrastructure who support production systems end up working. And then coming in the next morning and still putting in a full day. That might be biting into that supposed "gain" the big boys at Quest think they are going to get with this outsourcing.

By the time the business (including all you sales people on this forum) figure out what is going on then it will be too late. At this point I am fine with going. Gonna take my package and hit the road and go work for a company that actually wants me to work for them.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:44 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
Salaried = indentured servant

Take the hours you actually work and figure out the "real" hourly rate. Including all the middle of the night and weekend hours which many people in IT Infrastructure who support production systems end up working. And then coming in the next morning and still putting in a full day. That might be biting into that supposed "gain" the big boys at Quest think they are going to get with this outsourcing.

By the time the business (including all you sales people on this forum) figure out what is going on then it will be too late. At this point I am fine with going. Gonna take my package and hit the road and go work for a company that actually wants me to work for them.

You said it perfectly. Don't want us? Good luck.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Anonymous

Unhappy Re: Quest IT Outsourcing

It's their loss to lose such good people. So sad. I hope there's an end to all this.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Anonymous

Wouldn't ya just love to see everyone sit and find a way to save money without cutting a single job? What a cruel world.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Wouldn't ya just love to see everyone sit and find a way to save money without cutting a single job? What a cruel world.
Actually one could argue the point that there is more to be made by actually growing the business as opposed to slashing. But hey, what do I know.

Anyway, everybody in IT ready for the big meeting? This is where JH and TW announce that they are burning IT Infrastructure to the ground.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Anonymous

Angry Re: Quest IT Outsourcing

there is a way , unfortunately it means the head honchos would not get 2.5 million each per year just a measly couple of hundred thousand and how could they possibly life the life style they are now accustomed to on that !
Old 08-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Anonymous

Party Re: Quest IT Outsourcing

Infrastructure is over... I guess we'll know shortly the actual date. But it is absolutely confirmed, IT is over.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Actually one could argue the point that there is more to be made by actually growing the business as opposed to slashing. But hey, what do I know.

Anyway, everybody in IT ready for the big meeting? This is where JH and TW announce that they are burning IT Infrastructure to the ground.
Absolutely... Time to let your stock mature for a few months, let it grow, and absolutely dump it after at most 12 months... It is going to drop, BIG TIME.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Infrastructure is over... I guess we'll know shortly the actual date. But it is absolutely confirmed, IT is over.

Not all of IT. Local on-site desktop staff is out-of-scope.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
Not all of IT. Local on-site desktop staff is out-of-scope.
For a brief window... 4-10 months max. As stated, all Infrastructure within 12 months.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Anonymous

Left Quest IT a year ago and never looked back... you guys will land on your feet, but I agree that Quest didn't know how good they had it... they'll have to learn the hard way I suppose.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Anonymous

Quote:
For a brief window... 4-10 months max. As stated, all Infrastructure within 12 months.
Not so. It was clearly stated that local Field IT who service desktops and instruments in-house and Field IT that services the physicians and clients (Care 360) are not in the scope of the out sourcing. This was re-stated and clarified during the question and answer session.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Anonymous

Thumbs up Re: Quest IT Outsourcing

Quote:
Not so. It was clearly stated that local Field IT who service desktops and instruments in-house and Field IT that services the physicians and clients (Care 360) are not in the scope of the out sourcing. This was re-stated and clarified during the question and answer session.
I am pretty certain that they clarified that it is currently not in the scope of current outsourcing, but infrastructure as a whole is involved for the 12 month projected completion time.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Anonymous

This outsourcing contract for Wipro covers 250 positions from Quest Diagnostics from the IT Infrastructure area. This will be completely in place (ie - all 250 impacted persons gone) no later than Oct. 31st, 2013. Many employees will be leaving sooner. All impacted employees are to be notified by their manager no later than Friday this week. Anybody reporting up through CC is out of scope for this contract.

IT Infrastructure Outsourced Scope of Work
==========================================
* End User Computing:
* Service Desk and Onsite Support
* Messaging and Calendaring Services
* Desktop Migration Services

* Managed Security
* Access Control / ID Administration
* Application Security
* Active Directory Administration
* Encryption Services

* Communications
* LAN, WAN, Voice, Video Operational Support
* Remote Access and Client Interfaces
* IP Convergence IVR
* Connectivity and Collaboration Services

* Data Management
* Database Administration and Planning
* NAS, SAN and Tape Operation Support
* Backup, Recovery and Archive Services

* Data Center Hosting
* Unix, VMS, Linux, Windows and VMWare - Operations
* Web Hosting - Operations
* Systems Management and Monitoring
* Change Management
* Data Center Operations
Old 08-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Anonymous

Was it just me or was JH pretty indignant over the severance issue? I guess he was pissed off that it was leaked that he was trying to reduce the terms of the severance. Really the only funny part of the call. Just guessing he is a frequent flyer on these forums?
Old 08-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Anonymous

I thought the funny part was when he said he has been through this before.

What company outsourced him?
Old 08-15-2013, 07:02 AM
Anonymous

Quote:
I thought the funny part was when he said he has been through this before.

I think what he meant was that he has DONE this many times before.

Quest IT is 6% of cost for the company. What I heard was: "WE have no idea how to manage IT professionals and cost. We should be managing a Cracker Barrel. So, we are gonna send it off shore where they have no clue either, but we can blame them".

Out sourcing/Off shoring always smacked of incompetent senior mgmt to me. You are admitting that we can't handle this "thecmology shtuff" so...we will give the keys to our CORE DATA to someone else.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:25 AM
Steve "Axe" Rusckowski

Quote:

Quote:
It was tongue-in-cheek. Pretty sure everybody knows that SR and JH are experts at ripping a company apart. I could be wrong but didn't JH even talk about that at the April meeting as if it was something to be proud of?
Old 08-15-2013, 09:31 AM
Anonymous

Quote:

Quest IT is 6% of cost for the company. What I heard was: "WE have no idea how to manage IT professionals and cost. We should be managing a Cracker Barrel. So, we are gonna send it off shore where they have no clue either, but we can blame them".

Out sourcing/Off shoring always smacked of incompetent senior mgmt to me. You are admitting that we can't handle this "thecmology shtuff" so...we will give the keys to our CORE DATA to someone else.
Yes, its just 6%, but at LH it's 3% (supposedly), and that's what they are benchmarking against. And they are actually growing the business while DGX is shrinking. Taking 3% off your bottom line is actually a big deal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: