2014 layoffs - when do they start?

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Nov 5, 2013 at 12:52 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Let's start a pool - I take 06Jan14

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Fall of 2014

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

More like~when will then end? 2016?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

then=they

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

At IBM, the layoffs never end. It's been that way since 1993. Those assholes even invented a new term in an attempt to disguise it. They call it "workforce re-balancing".

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Timing in company wide profit planning is end of 1Q14 for a large round of reductions from the reorg.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Most will start 1st Qt. Notice New Vacation/Holiday schedules. Now all Floating Holidays at put in Dec. This will save at least 30,000 days severence (vacation days not taken) that does not have to be paid when these people (7,500) are released. I was told 16 years ago always take your "floating Holidays" early in the year because if you are let go Merck does not pay for Floating Days only vacation days.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I suspect the majority of the 2014 "terminations" will be ex-US so they will occur in accordance with "local" labor laws - earlier in more "developing" countries and later in, for example, the EU

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So floating days aren't parrot severance they took floating days away there is no difference in your payout.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey OP, Any info in this profit planning as to which groups are targeted for this next round?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Actually it does effect payout if you take your floating holidays early in the year and save vacation days instead for the shut down. Then they have to pay out those vacation days that are unused.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Right. Which is precisely why Merck took them away. Don't you just love all this nickel and diming they're doing?

NJ layoffs don't meet NJ WARN criteria, so no 60 days notice...

no more floating holidays...

Watch the list keep growing.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

FYI in 2014 salary no longer has floating holidays but they are now end of year shutdown days (4)

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Saw something to that effect on one merck page

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They have been going on since this fall... The next big one will be 11.26.13.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is precisely why I told friend to take PFH first. His last day is 12/24/13. He will get those 4 saved vacation days paid.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wish the layoffs would happen before the holidays, start 2014 with larger primary care territories and less reps. Doesn't Merck see they need to do things differently? Focus on true business opportunity not fluff customers to fill one's calendar so you seem busy.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree, need to reduce CTL's by 50% and reps by at least 1/3. It embarrassing to have so many reps going into each office especially when there's little access. What a waste of resources!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Some of my docs have the scoop....they seem in on the news from somewhere...