2010 lay offs

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline Lab Personnel' started by Anonymous, Feb 3, 2010 at 10:32 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I thought Baldoni mentioned at last week's town hall that people have been asking him for the business justification for the on-going re-org. I think Baldoni said that he didn't have one.

Did I hear this correctly?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Professor Higgins makes it look so easy. As did Sherlock.

I guess that's the difference between fiction and reality.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No you didn't. I watched the recording today.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lets get some facts out shall we - they were Dave Tainsh not JB's appointments. The PTS group has people at each site. RTP before had only one person at the site - remember Dave DeM who headed Strat Tech. Didn`t do RTP any harm.
    CD at RTP may be in for some hits but that is a long way from RTP is in trouble. Lets see - they have spent millions renovating and making RTP more cost effective. Would they do that if it was to close.

Talking about Philly - Moncef has relocated to the UK, Franklin Plaza will go when the lease expires next year. Doesn`t seem like PA is in the center of the world anymore. I would be more worried there with two mid sized R&D sites (UM and UP) rather than one large site at RTP that does research, development, clinical and commercial. Also has a GMS facility nearby (not like Cidra was to UM/UP!)

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

1) Tainsh can't make any decisions without Baldoni's approval. Baldoni has never been able to give up controlling PD. Consider: when was Tainsh ever been seen or heard in a public setting, except for the rare need to stand up in front of PD for a role-out show?

2) Moncef to the UK: He's no longer heading or directly involved in managing R&D, so there's no reason for him to have a seat at the long management table (note, no offices) at UM or any of the major R&D site. No sad songs. No loss. No tears shed.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Please, spare me. "one large site at RTP that does research, development, clinical and commercial"??? All RTP has been good for since the mid 90's is to serve as a retirement (in position) village for transplanted "scientists" from the old country and yankees. And/or at best to permit "wannabe academics" to blow resources on tangential "research" without any accountability or ultimate productivity. But RTP/philly/UK aside...GSK is OVER - just a matter of time.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So RTP hasn`t contributed much. So that list of products developed at RTP in the pilot plant must be lies.

I agree that it doesn't make sense to have tow (or even three) large R&D sites in the US. What makes you think it is RTP at risk? A few synthetic chemists get cut (sad for them) does not mean a site of thousands is in danger. Otherwise somebody better tell Ware which has no CD but is the largest PCD site that its future is at risk!!

UM and UP are the obvious targets. Yes I would say that as I like RTP but with FP closing, Moncef who is in charge of R&D moving to London. Witty having lived in RTP and being legacy Glaxo has some affinity with RTP. With Witty allowing millions to be spent on the consolidation of RTP which helps make the site much more cost effective since we are all on Moore Drive.

UM/UP have the issues since they are separate sites, have a higher tax burden and cost of living.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow man, you sound SO desperate (practically tearful in fact). It's a shame you are so way off the mark and poorly informed.

Witty has ZERO affinity with RTP. Just like he has ZERO affinity with anywhere other than HQ. RTP is in serious trouble, stop sticking your head in the sand.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Spoken like someone who obviously works in Philly! RTP is the US HQ. Philly will be gradually "phased out" over the next decade.

11. Basedonfacts

Basedonfacts Guest

Yeah the Philly man is obviously desparate. Lets look at facts, not just some "gut reaction".

Witty lived for 3 years in RTP. Didin`t live or work in PA.
    One of the first actions he did upon becoming CEO was to make London the gloabl HQ (before JP didn`t have the balls and had PA/UK joint HQ). For the US he made RTP the HQ (before JP didn`t have the balls and had both PA and RTP as HQ's).
    Witty has also in some areas (like Outlook and an emphasis on people development, compared to JP) brought back some Glaxo/GW ways. Not surprising since he spent 15 years with Glaxo/GW before we became GSK.

I suggest you keep you head in the sand.

One last fact. People at Ware were convinced that Harlow was the key UK site that would always stay in place (Harlow people were also convinced of this). Mainly because of its size and that SB managers were running R&D. Lets fast forward to 2010. What is the state of play? Ware is the largest PCD site and Harlow is one building and a warehouse. Harlow is closed in the next 3-5 years - guaranteed. So you Philly/SB people should be a little contrite at the moment.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

DMPK do know how to spell AMS and might even used it once. Mind you virtually chrome dome's first act was to trash the UM machine. And now he has just about handed over running the US to RTP managers. Tragic.

14. Basedonfacts

Basedonfacts Guest

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How do you know that Moncef has relocated the the UK? Last I checked, "On Connect GSK" it states that he is in UM. Though, not like I trust anything our company says....

No one that I have talked to here in RTP has heard anything regarding Moncef.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's because the chrome dome/cone head hasn't the first clue about what he is doing, or should be doing. For some unfathomable reason, his unintelligible mumbling, is perceived as some higher level of intelligence. If you can stand to just step back and observe, it is amusing to watch the several sycophants (some are particularly deluded) hang on every stammered and jumbled syllable. Most others are just bewildered by the whole mess, bite their tongue, and try to outlast. BTW, he would prefer the RTP managers because for him they provide the path of least resistance, and tend fit with his navel gazing, academic BS.

17. Basedonfacts

Basedonfacts Guest

A recent (last week) article about R&D (forgot title now) that has at the very bottom Moncef has moved to the UK because it is more centrally loctaed now that he is overseeing all R&D (Vaccines based in Belgium). Makes sense and is just the latest high level exec to leave the PA area. I remember when JP, Tachi and David Stout were there. Now the CEO is in London, along with the head of R&D and Stouts position overseeing the sales and manufacturing groups has been abolished since he came 3rd (out of 3) to replace JP.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you for such a detailed response! Most appreciated!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: 2010 layoffs becoming 2011

agreed

as the CD/PD re-org is nearing completion (1-2 more weeks?) the buzz is clearly that no significant (worker-bee level) lay-offs are part of finalising the re-org. But general expectation is that lay-offs will come early next year

so nearly time to start the "2010 lay-off" thread

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't you mean '2011' ?