A family reunion under the Friday night lights in McKinney

Discussion in 'Industry Veterans' started by samsamdinh1, Nov 16, 2015 at 3:09 AM.

1. samsamdinh1

samsamdinh1 new user

"It's just great to have the kids back in the stadium I spent 31 years in," said Poe.

Ron's son Matt Poe is the head coach for 11-0 Pottsboro. Playing the first playoff game in the stadium named after his dad was mostly coincidence -- it was a good neutral spot between Pottsboro and Commerce.

"It's a neat deal just to see the name up there on top of that press box," said Matt Poe, Pottsboro's head coach. "The three grandsons who play sure are proud to play in Pawpaw's stadium.

"Playing here all those years in a stadium named after our dad, their granddad -- it's magical," said Jon Poe, Pottsboro's athletic trainer. "I'll tell you, it's very special."

Matthew Poe is the head coach's kid, he plays wide receiver. Jon Wayne Poe and Blake Poe are the head coach's nephews, both play on defense, and their dad is the athletic trainer. And there are coaches everywhere:

• Ron Poe - McKinney (retired), McKinney ISD stadium named after him
    • Don Poe - Sulpher Springs (retired)
    • Bill Poe - Justin Northwest head coach
    • Matt Poe - Pottsboro head coach
    • Jon Poe - Pottsboro athletic trainer
    • Kyle Story - Frisco Independence head coach (married to Teena Story, daughter of Don Poe)
    Ron Poe coached McKinney high for 31 years and retired in 2001, but his grandsons still hear him coaching from the stands.

"He's there telling me to get outside a block," said Jon Wayne Poe, who plays a hybrid position of linebacker and defensive end, called the Cardinal-backer. "I can hear him too. I know it's him."

"He actually helps me from up in the stands, all the time," said Blake Poe, a defensive lineman. "Tells me stuff I should do right."

Ron Poe's legacy will always be with the stadium that bears his name. His family of coaches and players will continue to carry that legacy.