Abbot's Retiree UHC Indemnity with Medicare insurance

Discussion in 'Abbott' started by byebyeabt, Aug 26, 2019 at 11:05 PM.

1. byebyeabt

byebyeabt new user

Has anyone here used it? Why would one choose it over a Medicare Advantage plan?

If Abbott were to discontinue the insurance would one be then screwed when having to go to a Medigap or Advantage plan?

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I have it. I don't have much choice because I need to sign up for this so I can put my wife on the Abbott retire coverage. It seems ok but costs about $230 a month.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Good question. If I understand correctly... After Medicare, the balance gets passed to UHC Indemnity. UHC only pays once you hit your "Out of Pocket" max, which I never have in my 10 years of retirement. But it does include Express Scripts Medicare Rx Coverage (same as part D), which I do realize a substantial savings each year. You're guaranteed this coverage (Abbott premium) and can't be cancelled or rates jacked up because of health conditions which may change in the future. Not the best, but will cover a catastrophic illness. I don't know if you can opt-out for a better plan and opt-in again if things don't work out. If you know more details, please share!

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I'm trying to figure out the same thing, UHC has paid less than $10 over the past year. I have some invoices where they paid .01 cent. I'm paying over $4000 dollars a year to cover ten bucks!

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

So far it's been OK. It paid for somethings that Medicare does not cover. Also, UHC has agreements with labs and doctors for service charges. So a blood test that cost $500 ( not covered by Medicare) only cost the negotiated amount which was about $80.

I will keep it for a bit and see how it works out. My understanding is that the Abbott retiree (on Medicare) needs to sign up for this plan if they want to cover their dependents on the Abbott retiree health plan.

6. byebyeabt

byebyeabt new user

I was able to get finally get information from UHC. The plan is pretty much useless. If For instance if Medicare covers a service at 80% and UHC also covers it at 80%, that means UHC will pay nothing on it as they do not duplicate Medicare coverage. If Medicare covered a service at 80% and UHC covered it at 90%, UHC would pay 10%.

7. Milkshake

Milkshake new user

The choice of insurance is very important for me and my family. Because I want to be sure that in an emergency my medical expenses will be covered by insurance. I pay taxes regularly and believe that I deserve the best insurance for myself and my family.

8. Milkshake

Milkshake new user

The choice of insurance is very important for me and my family. Because I want to be sure that in an emergency my medical expenses will be covered by insurance. I pay taxes regularly and believe that I deserve the best insurance for myself and my family. In my city, I chose https://www.remedigap.com/companies/aetna-medicare-supplement/ because I believe they offer the best conditions for cooperation and generally have a good reputation. For myself, I chose Medigap Plan F because it fully meets all my needs and requirements.