Advantages/Disadvantages of ThinPrep vs Surepath

Discussion in 'Cytyc' started by Anonymous, Feb 16, 2008 at 2:29 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm a clinician and wanted to know if there's really any difference?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

clinicians dont really come on these boards...but surepath reps do....

refer to each product's package inserts...and you will read the differences for yourself...and you'll see why thinprep has the lion's share of the market

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I recommend you contact your local reps for each product and have them do a live debate on advantages/benefits for you. This worked well for our group a few months ago, and there was a clear winner. The Sure Path rep was unable to sell anything positive about their product - every comment was a dig at Thin Prep. The Thin Prep rep had journal articles, data, and new studies on the guided screener (adjunct to the technician in the lab screening the slides).

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Or you could get a kiddie pool, fill it with mud, jello, etc. and let the reps go at it. This would be more entertaining during an office lunch.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

We are getting back to the stupidity that we once had on this board. I have an idea why but am not saying that yet. I want to enjoy the idiotic posts that this person has posted in the past.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

We had our Thin Prep and Sure Path reps come in to do an extreme cage fight for us. It was so cool.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thin Prep SUCKS! Cardinal will take Monogen to the next level, so you boys better start grabbing your ankles waiting for the BIG ONE! Sure Path is shit, Thin Prep is shittier, so hang on for the ride ASSHOLES! Do you get the message now?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How can you take someone serious that works for Cardinal...seriously Cardinal!? Please stick to selling gloves, paper towels and soap dispensers as I'm sure you have all best in class products.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

LMAO..............Funny

10. Haberdoc

Haberdoc Guest

I'm a pathologist and I just got done researching this very topic for one of our OB/GYN groups. First of all, they are both better at detecting abnormalities (LSIL+) than conventional smears and DNA testing can be done off the residual specimen with either. The differences are modest but favor SurePath. The advantages SurePath has are based in it's collection device and processing technology (cell gradient vs. filter). The SurePath collection device breaks off in the container of fixative so 100% of the specimen is analyzed, whereas with ThinPrep the collection device is "swished" and then disgarded. Studies have shown that up to 37% of the specimen goes in the trash. The cell gradient is better at clearing blood, mucus and inflammation and thus at getting more cells onto the slide to evaluate. This translates into better detection of HSIL (73% better), carcinoma (140% better), AGUS (48% better) and endometrial cells in postmenopausal women. The false negative rate is intuitively better as well with SurePath (6% vs. 14% overall, 0% vs. 16% for HSIL). Probably the biggest development of late is the BD TriPath FocalPoint GS system (BD TriPath makes SurePath) which is an automated screening system that as far as I can tell, every lab in the country would not want to get going due to its efficiency and effectiveness. Sorry you asked?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sounds like the ex Tripath reps have surfaced again pretending to be physicians.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Its amazing now surepath reps are posing as pathologists. Any pathologist would not make a statement close to that considering the 2008 CAP data shows an overwhelming increase in hsil detection nationally with thin prep over surepath and conventional.

PS the GS sucks balls. Your technology sucked so you made it hypersensitive now anyone using your shit test is going to call HSIL and be wrong 75% of the time. Real fucking clever.

What is it you like to sell so much about surepath? lack of fda approvals, inferior true disease detection, or maybe its just a general interest in raising cervical cancer deaths in the US>

You guys fucking suck ass and I think its time our company focused some energy on the patient education to have them wake the fuck up because doctors are completely consumed with other things and dont want to take the time to go through the information.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Looks like we have a flip of the coin...

I work for a diagnostic company that sells both products. For years I sold ThinPrep, then had to promote SurePath. Personally, my doctor uses SurePath after I sold her on the concept of 'break off' vs 'swishing'. She also had issues with lack of ECC, so moving to SP helped reduce if not eliminate that issue. Once I taught her how to snap the scored ends, it was a breeze for her and she loves the product. As a woman patient, I feel better knowing the doctor has captured as many cells as possible and the whole content is sent for review, not just what she "knocked off" in the swishing process.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: shouldn't leave it to a coin flip

Have fun with your colpo when you come back with a missed HSIL (that should be a good time for you) that either got poured off in the decant, affixed to the collection device or caught up in the supernate. It is not about what gets in the vial but what gets on the slide that counts. If ease of use were the only reason for a pap the conventional would still dominate.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: shouldn't leave it to a coin flip

We KNOW you are a TP rep...nice try. Anybody with any laboratory background knows that no diagnostic cells are poured off of the vials after centrifugation--the "crap" is removed--things like blood, lubricant, etc. The solution that is used with SP is ethanol based- again, anybody with any lab background knows that this is much, much more gentle to the cells than a methanol based solution (TP) and does not promoted "clumping" or "drying" of cells like the TP solution does. And it's supernatent, not supernate...the supernatent carries the "crap" out of the sample--it carries the lubricant, blood, epithelial cells, etc. which are removed so the slide can be prepared with all of the cells the pathologists want to see.
    Even a TP rep should know that TP has the highest unsatisfactory rate on the market and your own package insert states TP is equivalent to a conventional pap.
    When will you just quit?
    Don't even get me started on that crap imaging system....
    10.7% false negative rate????????????? so 10.7% of those patients think they are free and clear, but in all reality they have abnormal cellular development???
    And a 25.3% false positive rate? Holy crap! 1/4 of patients think they have an abnormal pap????
    Bottom line is TP is a thing of the past....kind of like the dial up internet.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

surepath rep stay off our page.

You are not fda approved for hpv testing only thinprep is.

You missed cancer in your gs trial. thinprep imager id'd all cases.

Read your own package insert. You are only comparable. Ours is significantly better than conventional pap.

fnf. come on. Your test sucks so bad you made a hyper sensitive imager and lost specificity as cited by your own package insert.

i own you and your broke company. you can give away your paps for next to nothing but i will always win and you will always lose.

17. Monogen is better than both you guys. I am getting accounts all over my territory.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I love the loyalty of the Monogen rep. Company went bankrupt two years ago with two accounts total. The fact you are working for free and promoting a company who's assets are in a land fill somewhere is commendable. You must have had a mountain of vials in your trunk. How are the benefits????

19. We will rise again. Dont count us out! I am still out there pounding the pavement.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ok Jesus..