Age discrimination

Discussion in 'Johnson & Johnson IT' started by Anonymous, May 14, 2015 at 10:51 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who feels they were the victim of age discrimination at J&J. I have heard other people complain about this and I believe that I am now experiencing this. Comments?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That would never happen because J&J has the Credo.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And we have a believer!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can you give an example as I know I am definitely experiencing it. Someone in my department was just hired and their job description is exactly what I've been doing for the last three years. If they want to buy me out fine, lets talk, but ignoring me and giving my work away is a form of harassment.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

my experience is similar. Being passed over for multiple positions for which I am completely qualified, generally not even getting interviewed. Same for promotion opportunities. My Director recently left and I applied for her job and was not even interviewed, even though I was eminently qualified. Someone much younger got the job.

I have seen some postings on line about complaints of age discrimination at J&J and hear people talk about it, so I was trying to get a sense if there were others in the same boat as I am.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There are all sorts of discrimination at jnj IT, not a level playing field in my view. It's all about who you know, not to mention some of the sick and vengeful bastards who are in management. The credo hotline should be lighting up, because this is not what J&J is about.

7. Re: Age discrimination and harassment in general

Harassment....I see lots of good people getting slammed when things go wrong then they hear crickets when they do well.

This also is the most passive aggressive bunch of so called Senior Leaders I've ever come across in my life.

Stuart has yet to get out the Broom at the VP Level...not sure why he is taking so long...he's got to know by now that leaders like Heidi are a complete failure, and only getting worse day by day.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Age discrimination and harassment in general

Just remember that these people do not own the place, you showing up, performing, and not allowing this crap to bother you, ultimately hurts them most. These people are that sick.

9. I have worked in IT for many years, and yes, I'm older, but still have a decade or more to offer the company. I used to sit in for my former Director at meetings she couldn't make on a regular basis, including with senior leaders. I did all the 'extra' stuff that gets you noticed and visible to higher ups. And, worked extra hours to take on more responsibilities. Had good reviews. But when her position opened up, I didn't even make the slate for interviews. They ended up hiring someone younger from the outside who, after half a year, is still struggling to make sense to her own people. It's sad to see that others are experiencing the same.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I heard a phrase when I joined j&j over a decade ago "don't go gray at j&j", it's true, once you are older there are no opportunities for you. Get that facelift and dye job if you want to advance and are older!

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I wish someone had told me that about 10 years ago; it's too late to help me, but not too late for all of us to get the word out to our younger co-workers

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

What would be your advice to someone within the ITLDP program?

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

In all seriousness look somewhere else or consider moving to India.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

My advice would be to take full advantage of the ITLDP Program, get some experience and learn all you can and then move on. Put yourself in the driver's seat of your career and use what J&J has to offer to your advantage.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

True true on the facelift, dye and jug lift. Suck up to the children frequently too. There is a rule that you need to play like the village idiot so nobody is threatened by you. Place is a fucking joke. Shame on you for staying too long knowing they were going to get you just when your marketability dropped. Go prove yourself as a Walmart greater, this show is over.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Even if you are being discriminated, who will do anything about it?

The HR team is in the middle of their outsourcing to Tampa, FL and to Manila (where they can pay someone 2/3 and 1/5 of NJ salaries respectively).

BTW, odd that now HR is being impacted by layoffs the severance package has changed. Very top heavy organization so director-level are being paid for a total of 8 months (doesn't matter time served) and the payout for the servant class is equivalent of one week (no longer two) per year of service.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Commentary to the ITLDP'ers;

Stay for two years and leave.

• Get your resume burnished with the J&J name - others outside of J&J don't realize what a dismal place it is and still get impressed when they see it on a resume
    • You won't use your tech skills because JnJ IT wants you to be a "leader" and "understand the business". Don't throw out your old school textbooks/notes because you are going to need to keep your tech skills current---other places don't see SOP writing and Excel/Powerpoint monkeying as real skill
    • For crap's sake, stay in touch with the rest of your college buds, they will be your best network to help you when you need to find a new job.