All Work and No Pay

Discussion in 'Kowa Pharmaceuticals' started by Anonymous, Nov 6, 2010 at 11:33 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey Guys,

I am writing this so we can put this bonus issue to rest....a bonus is just that...a bonus...no guarantee of income.

I am one of you! I was also very disappointed that our bonus was cut and was sorry to see the wind taken out of the sails of some of the other sales folks. Look at it from this angle..my friend is a partner in a business and his income is structured so he usually receives a good bonus at year end. His bonus was cut drastically last year due to the fact that, through no fault of his own, he lost one of his biggest accounts. His employees also had cuts in their bonuses, as well, but nobody shouted foul because that is the way the cookie crumbles in sales, guys. I will mention here that he also had a huge bonus when he won the contract..and so did his employees even though a lot of them had nothing to do with him getting the account.

No "bonus" is guaranteed unless you have a signed contract. Then sometimes you still don't get paid because you may have to sue the company to recover!! On the same token, Kowa still doesn't want to be the company known for taking bonus away because they will not attract talent and will lose good people. Having said the above...I will admit here that I am one of the "underperforming" territories. I worked my ass off from dawn to dusk.and still do. I had a lot of very valid reasons for why my territory was not taking off that had nothing to do with me. However (and I really mean this) I would gladly give the very little bonus that I had for 3qtr to those that had success right off the bat. Why? Because that is sales and the fact is that I didn't pull in the numbers, period, no matter the excuse. The problem is likely due to the fact that Kowa does not have a history to establish a threshold for each territory, so they had to do an across the board cut on everybody. This was likely due to employment/legal issues, I guess.

Usually companies will give you a threshold of say 90% of your quota. Go below this and you get no bonus. This is likely what Kowa will do in the future ONCE they have a handle on performance. Face it guys...we see the data every week and clearly there are areas of the country that do not have as many obstacles to getting branded scripts filled!! I stuck it out without much hope, however the numbers are worlds better now!

I appreciate the fact that Brad and others are really trying to put up positive attitude moving forward after that somewhat disastrous start. You will NOT get anywhere by threatening and bullying your sales staff! My manager has been very understanding and supportive but the managers get the heat too, just like us!!

Big pharma is now adjusting salaries down on existing sales staff, not giving raises/promotions and are cutting bonuses too!! It is happening everywhere which is why we all need to find a new industry, really!!!

A former partner of mine from big pharma was totally sold on this one company's compensation plan for a sales job. They sold her big-time on how much money she could make. Guess what? She did soooo well and made so much monthly bonus/commission that her boss decided that she was too successful and doubled her quota mid-year!! Just like that. He literally stopped taking her calls when she complained about it. Keep in mind she had been hired to replace someone who was not making the numbers!!

Some of the managers here are really panicked about losing sales reps, as they should be! I may be wrong but I doubt many more negative surprises will be revealed. 60% is a lot but remember that all of us got cut 60%!

Here's to a better quarter (and year) for Kowa and all of us!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are one of the people Kowa wants to have on its sales force, one with an "oh well" attitude and "hope we have a better quarter next time" BS. Bend over and grab your ankles because, you just don't get it!!!!

Yes, I agree that a bonus is not guaranteed; however, no where in the bonus plan did it say that 100% of the reps had to be at quota for us to get the IC plan that was promised; nor did it say that the company had to reach a certain number for the reps to be paid a bonus. Bottom line is that KPA did a poor job of preparing to launch a product and a very poor job of forecasting the product. If you give the reps an IC Plan and then don't stick to it, you (as a company) can not be trusted. Again, you don't get it!!!!!

Additionally, who cares about your examples and friends, just because they were screwed over doesn't make it right for Kowa to screw us over. Have you ever heard the saying, two wrongs don't make a right?

If Kowa took back bonuses in Q3 why won't they do it Q4 or in 2011? Maybe it's because they realized that they were wrong in Q3 and that is why the IC Plan has changed for Q4 bonuses and now the company has to reach a number before they payout. You admit to being an under performer, maybe your attitude explains why you are underperforming, oh well, maybe I'll do better next year.

You say, "60% is a lot but remember that all of us got cut 60%". I agree with a previous poster, 60% of a performers $5000 bonus is not the same as $60 of a non-performers $900 bonus. It is not the same, you don't get it!!!!!

I don't agree with the people who are calling for Brad's head but I do agree that he made a poor management decision and has demotivated his sales force. Maybe he doesn't get it!!!!

Finally, you say you are one of us. Hate to tell you but you are not one of us because you don't get it!!!!!!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Maybe only 55-60 people have commented on this thread but that is better than most of the other threads on the Kowa site. Plus, almost 2000 people have been here to read it, I think that says a lot. Most of the posters are right on here and Kowa needs to understand how the sales reps feel.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Interesting BS------BH

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Put this bonus issue to rest, are you serious???????? Stick your head in the sand, turn the other cheek, there is an Easter Bunny. The result of taking away 60% of my bonus is that I did not get paid fully for what I earned in Q3, and, by doing well in Q3 it increased my quota for Q4 (making it harder to reach a bonus or at least the fictitious bonus promised).

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Eff all the diplomacy here. I'm through with that. I am PISSED. Major PISSED. The only good thing about this job is my nissan altima.

If our bonuses are cut then I want Brad and everybody else's pay cut too. If this attitude of, "we're all in this together" is so pervasive, let's ALL feel the pain.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No doubt the above poster is Brad, the "let's put the bonus issue to rest" bullsh**.

I'm just surprised that he could spend so much time away from the mirror. Ha ha. Lol.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are a joke with no male anotomy! Looser this is not the only way KPA is screwing us pay attention to your numbers. You would sell your mother for a dollar you POS!

9. Saint Nick

Saint Nick Guest

Leave Gail Cherry out of this I worked for her and she was hands down the best manager ever, left you alone to do your job and when you did it well she let you know. Comments about ass kissing, etc, you have sour grapes friend what did she fire you? Only problem with Gail was she left her good reps to be led by the Geico spokesman Bill Price, what a tool, thas's why there is Karma. I really do enjoy dropping in from time to time very entertaining, and lastly leave Brad out of it as well he is just following marching orders.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Somebody needs to bust a move on your ass. Why are you bitching about $100? Is ya that broke honey? Or maybe you can't sell more than $100. Hmmmm. I get it now. Get yo complaint on at cafe pharma. So what else ya got big mouth?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If Kowa management is now worried about reps are leaving the company, just wait until the 4th quarter "bonus" is reduced by 50-60% and no merit salary increases are given, especially to there "performers" (people who met or exceeded there goals) Most of the top reps already have there resumes out just waiting for the right opporunity to come along.

Kowa made a hugh mistake by not paying the 3rd quarter bonus to people who earned it. I have been in the pharma industry for over 12 years and never ever encounter a company demotivating there reps in the middle of a major product launch. (BY NOT PAYING THE PEOPLE DRIVING THE BUSINESS) If I am not mistaken, Kowa's survival depended upon Livalo's success. Upper management has there head up there ass.

The RBD's and district managers do not give a crap about there bonus, because most have high salaries and can "weather the storm"

The only people they will now attract is the low performing reps that have been let go by other companies and new to the pharma industry folks.

In the near future, business schools will be pointing to "Kowa Method" and teaching there students, what NOT to do in a sales organization to motivate there sales reps. (especially during a product launch) Moral of the story - "pay the reps that are making it happen"

Good luck Kowa reaching that 4th quarter $20 million sales goal. My prediction, Kowa will be for sale within a year, upper management will be let go, most of sales force will keep there jobs since the sales force is small when compared the other pharma sales forces.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey hillbilly...who's bitching about $100? Where in the message does it say anything about $100. Take your community college or state institution education and apply it to the task at hand, stay focused on the thread and current topics being discussed. Difference between you and me is that this is the best job you've ever had, just collecting a paycheck for me.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

YOU ARE PATHETIC...

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No, he's not PATHETIC. He's right.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wassup, girfrin', Gail! Yo havin a g'time browsin roun here today? Stay coo, baby, stay coo.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You have no idea of what reality is... only "what is in it for me". Furthermore, we can see that you are not working and could be faking calls. We will find you out and uncover who you are so be careful or you may be caught.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The REALITY is that most people in sales are in it for the money. Have you ever heard of the phrase, "the harder/smarter you work the more you will be compensated. Well here at Kowa the harder you work the more money they take from you. So please stop trying to bull s... everyone. In addition, the above poster is NOT "PATHETIC" he/she is right on target about totally screwing up the Livalo launch and demotivating the sales reps.

Also, "faking calls" what the hell are you talking about????????? Could not think of anything logical to write. Start addressing the problems with real solutions not management bull shit nonsense.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You must be in the East looking at the post time. This makes sense. We will find you out.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thats interesting considering I already left Kowa, but the facts remains the same.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you left Kowa then why are you so passionate in your hatred? It may be that the crack pipe has really got a hold on you......and since you post all through out the day I guess that you don't work much with your new job either. Ha ha ha what a total joke.