Allergan's Hiring Discrimination

Discussion in 'Allergan' started by Anonymous, Dec 17, 2010 at 2:15 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

When I interviewed, I thought I was discriminated against also.

I also was told that there would be lunch for me, but when it came down to it, I had to buy my own lunch during the interviews! What a crock! Cheep bastards.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

When I interviewed with Allergan, I was severely and savagely "looked at." Meaning, I was stared at, from toe to head, looked down at, and given the once over (so to speak). It was unnerving and very upsetting. Besides being interviewed by much younger people who didn't know as much as I did, it was humiliating to be treated in such a disparaging way, like I was a piece of trash and they couldn't wait for me to be gone. I was highly qualified for the position and could have given lots to Allergan as well as received additional knowledge from them as well.

However, Allergan is such a loser company now, I just don't think they are worth what they 'think' they are! In fact, just the fact that they treat people like this tells you what's going on internally. It's not fair and it's not just.

How does Allergan manage to keep up this facade about their fair and noble hiring practices?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Based on who the VP of sales and marketing is, I am not surprised...

He likes the girls young and hot and fawning over him.

He likes his boys to be rough and tough and good looking while they idolize him.

You don't fit that criteria, you don't stand a chance.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You should turn them in to the EEOC!!!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

its the vp of sales of mktg who sets the standard, hello.

ex-tap bully who pulled all kinds of shenanigans back in the day. he knows how to hide his antics though, so don't expect him to get caught.

he liked his chicks young, impressionable, and submissive; and his boys young, assertive and idolizing (to him).

total caesar complex.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What division is Mr. Ceasar?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

don't know, short italian guy originally from the east coast. worked at tap. bully then, bully now. you don't get to the top being nice.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was just interviewing and thought that I was being looked at for being older than the rest of the candidates. I thought my experiences and education were going to be the gist of the interview, but I was given questions of irrelevance and stupidity. One person laughed at me as they met me...almost a laugh-cough!

It was obvious that I was smart and wise enough to get the interviews, past the telephone interviews with flying colors, but the instant they saw my face, I knew it was a lost cause. The look on the interviewers faces was one of "Oh, crap, too old" and I knew I was instantly vetoed.

This is against the law. Allergan you are so stupid of continually let this happen.

I hope you get bought out, that the new company lays off all of you and then you will know what it is like to be on the other side of the fence!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

noone told you that you were the best candidate. if they did, who's to say they didn't interview some people after you. there are people hired that are over 45. more that are under 45 because most people older than that are not looking for an entry level position.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are misinformed. What are you.....25???

The fact is...is that Allergan does discriminate based on age and looks. If you aren't young you are not hired. The fact that you say people get hired over 45 is a joke. Have you looked at the people Allergan is hiring? Have you looked at their pictures? On LinkedIn where they are posted?

You should get your facts straight before your say things that aren't true.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Seriously? You're going to argue that b/c Linkedin pics are young looking AGN discriminates. What's the demographic makeup of the Linkedin pop.- 25-35? I guess they discriminate too!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It isn't just Allergan. ALL pharma companies are guilty of age discrimination. I look much younger than my age but HR dolts only know how to look at resumes to determine how old you are. Leaving the dates of your college graduation is only a red flag. People can figure it out.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was hired in my mid 40's as well. There are many over 40 in my division. There are younger people too, but have not seen age discrimination.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

what division are you with---which division are you saying doesn't discriminate?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There is a lot of arrogance here, it's eye drops not science. I guess that explains the age discrimination too, if you believe you're all that all you're interested in is the shallow crap. This is a weird company.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

HOW IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU KNOW YOU WERE THE MOST QUALIFIED PERSON FOR THE JOB? Did the interviewers pull out their notes and resume's of the others they talked to? You are ridiculous.

Even if they tell you that you were an outstanding candidate or even a top candidate you will never know what happened in the other interviews and what specific experience and personality traits they are looking for or came through in other candidates.

Get a life and go post something that matters. You didn't get the job because you were not the right fit.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

when a manager (at any company) is hiring a sales position, he/she looks at MORE than just age or race. most managers are paid according to the sales that their reps make. so don't you think that the main thing they would be looking for is reps that can SELL product. they are also looking for reps that they feel have an apptitude for our sales model. we do not hire the "used car salesman" type. also a manager has to consider the partners someone will work with and how the two will work together. we sell based on personality traits and this is important.
    managers have to look at people they can get along with, people they "like". that doesn't necessarily mean young or white or male. some managers seem to like and hire more women. some really like ex military, or ex teachers. some like reps with little pharma sales but heavy on the "hard sales", like cell phones or copy machines.

I sometimes question the discrimination is in the pay scale and how it varies from manager to manager and between reps. that may be the bigger question.

as for those who did not get the job and feel they were the best candidate: I agree with the previous poster who said "how would you know"? I personally have been the front-runner but did not get a position only to find that the "winner" was a college cheerleader or football star. The difference was not that I was not the best SALES REP, but they were bigger rah rah's or had bigger name recognition with some of the doctors. Or maybe becasue way back in college they could do well at school PLUS have the dedication it takes to be involved in sports. Who knows, but it wasn't discrimination because someone else beat me out. i

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you should call the HR department and compain. these practices will not stop if noone knows about them.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you for your kind words....however, by calling the HR department, I would be exposing who I am and, therefore, would be blackballed out of any future opportunities. That's the way it works. I have thought about it, but the risk is too high. Thanks.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you truly think you were discriminated against, you should contact the EEOC. They will be able to tell you for sure. If enough people contact them, Allergan will be investigated. If it all turns out to be true, they'll be ordered to change their ways.