Amazing how a level CL2 got promoted to manager role.

Discussion in 'AstraZeneca' started by anonymous, Jun 19, 2020 at 9:28 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I guess if you’re in upper management’s circle, you’ll get promoted to manager role without going through LEAP, no records of being top 20% of ranking and a big slap in the face is she’s a CL2. What a joke!
    No wonder Respiratory are losing good managers.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Career Ladder has been a cluster f for awhile. Ever since Ruudy decided to make it all about performance and behaviors have been pushed to the side.

Regarding being hired as a manager from a CL 2 level with no top tier performance, my assumption is she gives great head or really knows how to brown nose.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Didn’t think a CL 2 was even eligible to post for a promotion? What region?

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

In pharma in general, I find that having brains or even good numbers is not a requirement. I am amazed at some of the people that get management roles. I know one manager that lied about her previous manager experience at her former company. She lied about time she was in management. The lie was all over her LinkedIn profile for everyone to see. Unfortunate her current company knows nothing of her lies. I see compliance rule breakers and brown nosers get put into management roles all the time.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

If it is who I think you are talking about, I have to step in to stand up for her. Several things:
    1) She came in to pharma with management experience, and was probably bought in on too low of CL to start.
    2) She has been very clear about her career intention in management with AZ from the beginning.
    3) She has been driven to take charge of her own development plan, creating opportunities to make an impact up to a national level.
    4) There are only a limited number of LEAP spots. Knowing this, she created her own path to development, so she wasn't just sitting around wasting time until she got her tap on the shoulder for LEAP.
    5) She does a great job in networking.
    6) To make the assumption that she "brown-noses" or worse, would "give great head", is truly awful, misogynistic, and couldn't be further from the truth. She is an intelligent, hard worker, who created her own path in a tactical, smart way.
    If you don't like her, fine. But I won't start back while her character is grossly misrepresented.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Agree with the above poster! AZ needs to get rid of the silly rules that you need LEAP, RTS etc in order to apply. If you have equivalent experience or have been able to create an alternate pathway you should be able to apply for a DSM spot. This would allow so many other candidates to apply and be considered.
    I can't tell you how many times internals have applied and have all the "required" AZ qualifications only to find that the regional director went with an external hire.

In regards to performance, we all know that can be difficult to measure because some territories are advantageous because of good formulary coverage etc. and nothing to do with the rep yet there are other territories with amazing reps but because AZ drugs are not covered and their competition is there is no way for them to win.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Career ladder is also a joke as its all done automatically and your manager has no say in the matter when it comes to promotions. I've seen reps promoted to executive level who were out on leave for months or maternity leave. Their partners were the ones doing all the work yet they were rewarded when they came back from leave! Talk about messed up!

Its so hard to move up and in some cases I've known people who left AZ for another company and then come back after 9 months an be brought back in at a higher career ladder than when they left. It seems like rather than perform in the 3 years you are required to be at a certain career ladder you need to leave the company for half the year on good terms and try and have your manager hire you back at a higher level. What would have taken you three years to accomplish can be done in less than one. Talk about a messed up system.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

And you are surprised that this happened? It happens everywhere at AZ. I work for a CBD who won’t promote his own people. Then when you interview in another TA that CBD wonders why you can’t promoted where you are at currently. We get looked at as someone else’s problem.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

same in our region. Cbd is very well known for never promoting reps. Ever. Once you’re with this cbd the only way to promote into management bio or Onc is to leave the region or leave the company and come back. Many reps have left the company because of this.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

SO MUCH WASTED talent out in the field. I have never been approached by anyone at this company to encourage me to explore a leadership position, the other companies couldn't wait to approach me. When I approached management about my interest in a leadership role, i was told all the steps i had to go through to be considered...even though i commanded troops in the Military. Pharma is a team management sport...if you are on the 'right" team then you will move up, even with marginal skills...and that's the problem.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

That is a problem. The brown nosers are moving up. It's sickening. I can think of one girl in specialty that barely works.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

If this post is in reference to a person that I’m aware has made DSM and only a career ladder 2 then I have something to say. This person was a RST and made sure they developed a very close relationship with the Regional manager. Maybe two people interviewed and it was not posted outside of AZ. As far as referencing that this candidate came in with management experience must not have been very pertenant because they were hired in as a CL1! Doesn’t have even half of number of years selling as the reps in the district, they may be able to teach the DSM a few things.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Has disaster written all over it. If its the region I think they CBD has not hired the greatest DSMs. But kudos for at least promoting PSSs. Just the wrong ones

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

A better question is how does someone get brought in at a CL3 with ZERO Pharma experience?! Total slap in the face to tenured reps.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You share how you commanded troops in the military. Well, in my three decades in this business, PhRMA is not the military. You had a very important job, we all deeply respect in leading (at some level) troops. Hopefully not in live battle. Regardless, we are indebted.

But, politics in building "teams" in this "sport" as you call it IS a driving force. At least that's all I've ever seen. And your absolutely right, the best talent in the field often does not get promoted or even retained, if they don't fit the agenda, mold or the politics. It's wrong, but it's a reality I never saw change in seeing this industry as it's gone through major expansion, contraction and change. You just have to change "teams" or change companies that see your talent and skills. Good luck cause most managers here are very judgmental and listen to or perpetuate gossip that will weigh against you.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Laura, is that you???????