Amgen highest Turnover in Industry

Discussion in 'Amgen' started by Anonymous, May 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I love silly and outdated “management book” phrases from the 80’s....umm I wonder who that statement benefits? The company or the manager? Another great example of corporate finger pointing. I’ve left several great leaders/managers for career development, more money, to leave a crappy corporate culture(sorry but even great managers can only do so much to umbrella their people from a toxic corporate culture). BTW that lame statement as been debunked my many HR professionals and academics. Back away from all your Brian Tracey, Zig Ziegler hacks...

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

So how do you reconcile that with all the managers who have left Amgen and took their team with them? Looks like they left to company to me...Karyopharm ring a bell?

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Do not give Amgen dummies real facts. They may have a meltdown or fry a circuit. Bottom line at Amgen, from an oncology perspective, is no one good comes here, no one here who becomes good (very rare)stays, and talent we do get through acquisitions leaves the second their retention bonuses clear or a new opportunity arises. Karyopharm was just the most recent exodus, there were at least three oncology sales force build-outs were the Onyx people took a lot of their people from Amgen. Why is that do you suppose if Amgen is so great and all?

I'll wait...

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Lol karyopharm is a little dinky piece of shit company. You sales people are incredibly myopic. Focused only on sales people. It's truly pathetic

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

If that were so why did we sue them for employee solicitation?

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

and you still didn’t answer the question as to why everyone leaves.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

They don't. Sales people leave when offered more money because they're dumb and myopic. I would never ever in my life take a job and karyopharm over Amgen. What kind of dumbass. Everyone in TO doesn't leave. You guys don't know anything about this company. Shut the fuck up already. All you know about is your little sales bubble. It's not representative of Amgen more broadly

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The two are completely unrelated. Karyopharm being a shit company doesn't mean we want them taking reps that happen to be our better performing reps, even if said reps happen to be making a shit career move to a company with minimal future prospects that's luring you with a big paycheck. You're not an attorney and unless you were involved in the lawsuit (as in one of the attorneys), don't pretend to understand the nuances. You turds think you know everything. Just shut the fuck up. It's really tiring

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Amgen sued (and lost) Karyopharm because they were pissed that people would dare leave such a “great” company like Amgen. Their egos were hurt. Reps and managers left for more money and A BETTER CULTURE. They are waiting to be bought out and make a ton of money. A lot of us would have made the same choice to jump to a company that has a promising drug, better culture and make more money.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Umm...I'm not in sales dummy. I am very familiar with the lawsuit, and wow...clearly logic is not your thing. The two are completely related. It speaks to the high turnover rate at Amgen of top talent and the inability to retain said top talent without using fear and the legal system. You readily point out that it's not the bad/low performing reps that are leaving it is the better performing ones - you know the ones Amgen is suing over, versus creating a climate, culture and compensation structure that would help retain top talent.

Let's see...an ASD became a EVP of Sales...the DM's he took are making more money than Amgen ASD's, and the reps they took are making more money than Amgen DM's. Couple that with a great biotech culture, a first in class innovative drug, and huge wealth creation opportunity and it seems like a genius career move with plenty of upside.

Minimal future prospects? What does that even mean? Plenty of indications coming their way and more in the pipe. Stock went from $3 to $20 so those folks already made some nice dough.

Most of the tenured sales reps and managers in oncology biotech are career field based people so career ladder progression is irrelevant to many of them. Now they get to do the same job, for more money, more upside, and far better culture...anyone who views that as "minimal prospects" is an idiot.

Small does not mean it's crap. Quite the contrary as small biotechs tend to be far more desirable for top talent. They offer a far superior financial package, autonomy, and culture versus large corporations. Also future employers are far more impressed with people who build and launch from scratch versus people who work at large companies and follow the playbook that has been in place for ever.

Additionally, for those who want to grow their careers small/growth companies are often better to do so versus the bureaucracy and politics of larger corporations. Someone jokingly(or not) said on a post here that brown nose'ing is the path to promotion at Amgen...and there is a lot of truth to that and not place smart people want to grow their careers. Not to mention that no tenured and successful oncology people in any role, home office or field based, are banging down the doors to get into Amgen, Merck, BMS, Pfizer et cetera...they all seek out small, start up biotechs. Wonder why that is?

Again, you fail to answer the question...if Amgen is so great, why do so many of the good/great people leave? By your logic the poor performers who stay are actually smart and the top performers who leave are actually dumb...that logic is patently flawed...you know that...I hope.

PS...really not a lot of turnover in TO? You must be taking full advantage of legal weed if that is how you are seeing it. The OBU alone has lost ample talent in the last five years...the only ones left are those with kids and families who cannot or will not rip their kids from school or very junior and inexperienced people new to oncology. Perhaps you do not have friends in the OBU, because if you did, you would know that the resounding narrative in commercial is..."once my last kid graduates I am out of here". Many people are trapped in TO. That is the word they use. Trapped. And it is why we struggle to attract top talent and tenured talent to the home office from the internal pool or external pool. Once in TO you are stuck there...if you don't like it you cannot just move to a company across the street like you can in SF or Cambridge or even big pharma NJ. You are on an island in TO and most moves require a relocation...since not everyone could go to Puma and Kite...

Keep mainlining the blue Kool-Aid...it seems to be altered reality you prefer...you know, the one where logic doesn't exist.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

One you were not offered the opportunity to leave. Two what's myopic about doing the same job, in a better culture, with better talent around you, for more money with huge upside?

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Damn...that is the mother of all smack downs.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

That's right Jabroni. Can you smell what The Rock is cookin?

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

If you can't get to the point in a more concise manner, then don't post on the Internet.
    Sincerely,
    The World

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

...says another Amgen dummy who can’t read a few paragraphs...that person crushed that argument and none of you idiots have an intelligent response.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This must be Amgen objection handling 101. Do not acknowledging any points. Point out something arbitrary like a spelling error, grammar or length of composition. Deflect and ignore the true points...no wonder our company is a dumpster fire.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Or, you're a crybaby dimwit. Excess wordiness is a sign of confusion, so you're the reason it's a dumpster fire.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

In your long post, you makes some valid points, but you also make some stereotypical big pharma assumptions. I agree that just because a company is small, doesn't make it a bad company. I have worked at both big and small companies and generally prefer smaller companies.

In a small company, your career can move up quicker. You can also get taken out quicker if you do not perform to the expectations (regardless if those expectation are legit or not). Bottom line, you can't hide in a small company. Tyrants can also thrive (not in a good way) and get away with crap that would never fly in big pharma.

I understand the trapping of Home Office workers. You move your life to a companies HQ and you get stuck. You make too much in comparison to other jobs in your area. To get out would mean another relocation to a different city/state.

These are the reasons that many of us in the field choose not to go beyond a DM level. The move is just not worth uprooting family. My guess is that you work in Oncology and are stuck in TO. I get it.

What I don't get is how you bash Amgen. Is the bone team top notch...NO. It is a good place to start ones career. Is INBU at the top of their field...NO. Enbrel is still one of the most prescribed biologics and is a great place to get biologic experience.

Embrace where you are at in your career. If you don't like TO (and I get it) than leave. Move off to SF or NJ. Just don't throw darts at those of us that like it here at Amgen.

I chose to work here. Is it perfect, NO. But they have taken care of us during Covid 19. I know several smaller companies that ditched their people at the first sign of trouble.

Good luck on your career path as you try to navigate where you need to land.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Excessive blabbering indicates confused mind. Nobody will read your paragraph of any length, unless YOU convince them to read it with a CONCISE presentation of your claim.