Amgen highest Turnover in Industry

Discussion in 'Amgen' started by Anonymous, May 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Here I’ll help. Amgen sucks and all the good people leave for far better opportunities. There ya go. For supportive resources see the the other post as it was spot on.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I think Aerie probably has the highest turnover rate -at this point.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I couldn’t agree more. Who care if someone rambles, if they are not happy and are not appreciated, then they should search for better opportunities. Amgen is not the end all be all of bio tech. I would also argue that Amgen is Big Pharma not is not longer a bio tech.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Mike DiFilippo in the OBU has turned over 9 people out of 10 in his team. 90% is pretty high.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Get out of here you worthless reps - Mr Haas Wharton.

MAGA!

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Amgen has a culture problem and the leaders are not willing to change it/make it better. There are many other companies big and small that are hiring. We have options. Amgen’s ego is getting way too big and their philosophy is “if your don’t like it, then leave”. It’s terrible that leaders think like that because it cost $1.5 Million (that’s right) to replace a person who has left within the first year (that is Amgen’s own number).

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

$1.5 million is a big number...wow. If you leave within a year does Amgen require you to pay back your sign on bonus?

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I agree that there is a cost to losing an employee but I take issue at the 1.5 million tag. That price might be for a high level employee but not for a field rep.

As a field manager, we always placed a 150-300k tag on a rep depending upon the investment in first year training. The cost of the hiring investment always equaled out after 2 years. This is why it usually take 2 years plus before a rep moves from act 1 to act 2. Amgen wants to see the investment fulfilled.

How do you calculate the 1.5 million?

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The $1.5M comes from a look back done by MC (training dept) in conjunction with MDP. They looked all costs to Amgen including training, travel, food, trainers, car, base salaries, bonus, 401k match, health insurance etc. They also took into account time the manager spends with rep in the 1st year and well as all the people who have direct or indirect contact with that new hire and the time they spent getting the new hire everything they need.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

$1.5M is definitely some fuzzy math at best but sure let's use that number. If Amgen truly believes that it costs that much to replace a rep than why don't they work to create a culture that doesn't lead to mass exoduses and high turnover? Either that number is way off or the ET is even dumber than previously thought as they cannot get the culture piece right, and retain top talent...even after years of trying and millions spent.

Fishbowl anyone???

Want to know the real difference? Look at Genetech versus Amgen.

Genetech = A players hire A players
    Amgen = C players hiring D/F players

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

First of all, there are two Ns in Genentech. Second of all, did most of you miss the memo that they were acquired by Roche? I keep hearing Gebentech blah blah blah from sales reps. Do you idiots even realize they don't exist as an independent company anymore? They are most definitely "big pharma" now for those of you who keep saying they're biotech and Amgen isn't. How dumb are you.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Doesn't change the facts...deflect much?

Amgen has never been in the same orbit as Genentech...not now, not then. Amgen is always the lame supportive care company with little therapeutic impact. Genentech as always been the top of the heap in terms of bio-onc.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

There is also no "b" in Genetech...moron. Biotech or not they are actually an oncology company versus a supportive care company with a few sparingly used therapeutics like Blin, Vectibix, T-Vec, Kyprolis...just think of that weak lineup versus Rituxan, Avastin, Herceptin, and Tarceva...

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Genentech is definitely considered an oncology company. Amgen is more of a let’s get to know the office staff and nurses to help us with our supportive care products. With therapeutics you have to sell the doctor; anything less is unacceptable! You Amgen supportive care reps would flounder and fail miserably at any other oncology company because all you want to do is be friends with the office staff vs drive business through the physician. Amgen contracts stink and are extremely complicated.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yes just like most companies.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Why aren't you working for Genentech ?
    Were you a D/F player ?

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Your 1.5 million is a big stretch. Let's do the math:
    Salary: 125K (could be more could be less based on divisions/experience)
    Bonus: 40k
    Car: 15k (at most)
    Benefits: 40k (our insurance is ok not great)
    Training: 50k (at most-That is including the NSM, Regional and HQ training)
    *you can't monetize the time/effort spent from the DM/RM/HR/Trainer/Marketing. If you did, you would need to equally spread it out over the entire field sales organization.

That comes out to 270k and that is on the high side. I will round up and say 300k in a year.

I have managed field sales reps for 10 years and have never heard of a price tag of 1.5 million for a field rep. To get a ball park number, we used to double the reps salary and were able to calculate what a rep needed to bring into the company to break even for the year. It is always important to get a rep to stay into the second year to begin to make a profit off of their work.

MC (from the training department) doesn't know basic math.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I did for many years. Made a bundle. Went to Onyx. Made another bundle. Came here through the acquisition and just laugh at you mouth breathers who don’t know anything about oncology or what a good culture actually looks and feels like.

19. Uncle Amgen

Uncle Amgen Guest

Take off if Amgen is such a joke! I am tired of hearing HOW GREAT other companies are on this site. Quit complaining and leave. People like you are PATHETIC. You openly mock Amgen but I bet you were silently thankful that they retained you during acquisition and during our recent Covid 19 .

You can’t handle the truth!

Anonymous poster, we live in a world that has serious competition, and those competitors have to be met with clinical data by reps with talent. Whose gonna do it you? You winy poster? AMGEN has a greater responsibility that you can possibly fathom. You weep for your past company and you curse AMGEN.

You have the luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that your past companies acquisition while tragic, probably saved lives; and AMGEN's existence while grotesque, and incomprehensible, to you, saves lives.

You don’t want the truth because deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want me competitively selling, you need me to competitively sell!

At AMGEN, we use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something, you use them as a punchline.

I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself, to a winy poster who rises and sleeps, under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and than questions the manner in which I provide them!

I’d rather you just said ‘thank you’, and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a sales bag, and go to work. Either way, I don’t give a damn, what you think you are entitled to!

Sincerely,

Uncle AMGEN

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Uncle Amgen sound like Mike DiFilippo from the OBU. Sounds like you got your feathers ruffled! If it is such a great company why do you feel like you have to defend? Just tell the poster to leave. By defending it like you did, it seems as though you are trying to convince yourself and others to stay at this company. Those that want to leave will leave and those that want to stay will stay.