Amgen = Whites Males Only

Discussion in 'Amgen' started by anonymous, Aug 4, 2017 at 8:29 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I work Amgen. Not going to talk about my gender, race or any other defining factors. I have had 16 bosses in as many years in Pharma that have included Executive level people within multiple roles and they have been predominantly women. The current structure within my org has me reporting up through 3 women all the way up the executive ladder. I have witnessed minority women getting promoted to very high levels within Amgen, I have witnessed the same with men, and with "other" lifestyles. I have been passed over for promotions because the opposite gender has been "required" to be promoted because of diversity; men, women, gays, asians, and others were "placed into those roles." I have also witnessed bias and discrimination by straight people, gays, men, women and people of all all races versus others.
    When it happens to you it is natural to be angry. Networking is real, performance is real, perception is also real to that person, and bias does happen. As long as you blame something/someone else, you will be a victim and it will taint future opportunities and your performance. Employment at any company is at will and if you dont like something, leave or start your own company where you make all the decisions, including who you hire and promote based on much of what is being complained about. Get mad and get better or get mad and get out. Blaming your lack of promotion continually around the fact that you are a majority, minority, gay, male, female, or otherwise is in my opinion, wrong but so is Blatant discrimination. If you feel that strong about it and have true documented evidence, hire a lawyer and go the distance. HR exist to protect the company and the stock, not employees as individuals. Life happens and if you expect life to treat you a certain way because it is supposed to be fair, you are wrong.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

agree - otherwise stated as take responsibility for your own career

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

agree veey much with what has been said. The problem, the way I see it, is we are creating more discrimatory behaviors by promulgating the very behavior we want to get rid of. If you are female at Amgen you are in a great spot- case in point- look at bobs leadership team?? If you are a female and a minority you will win every close interviewing race- guaranteed. HR has stated for years that 'ties' go that desired hire. I hope we get back to promoting and hiring truly the best person- get rid of the behaviors that would require us to do anything different.