Any advice for breaking into pharmaceutical sales?

Discussion in 'Pharma/Biotech Comp - Gen Discussion |Pharma Sales' started by anonymous, Jun 17, 2016 at 12:44 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Hello, I am a college student and am considering a career in this field, i am working as a pharmacy tech now, hoping this would help me get in, is it hard to get in and whats a typical day like

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Get your pharmaD that's the best advice to give you if you want to have a long term pharma career ..

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Is there any way I can get into pharmaceutical sales without getting my pharmaD? I don't really want to become a pharmacist, chemistry was never my thing, i prefer biology

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Simply stated - you don't need a PharmD or BS in any healthcare related field to break into pharmaceutical sales. Based upon the way things work these days, you probably have a better shot at breaking into pharma sales if you have a catering background. After all, access is so limited these days that the only way you ever get into practices is by bringing breakfast or lunch. If you have a catering business on the side, even better, as that could be a 2 for 1 deal. Good luck!

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

While the responses are very sarcastic, they are kinda accurate. I think what other people are saying is, be careful/maybe this isn't the industry you want to get into anyway. I'll give my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth. I've been doing pharma sales for about 20 years now. I have 3 very close friends who are or were pharma sales reps for an extended period of time.

Pharma sales is not like it used to be. Some people say that about too many things in life because they are just nostalgic, but I really think it's true in pharma. sales. The truth is that Dr.s are overwhelmed by reps now a days. Yes, that's been the case for a long time, but it's out of control lately. Combine that with the fact that more and more hospitals and private practices are now being purchased by large healthcare organizations, thus turning those accounts in "no see" accounts, and you have a recipe for disaster. Pharma sales is GREAT when you are young. You get turned down/yelled at/shut out a lot, but you don't really care. After 10-15 years of doing that all day it gets old real fast. It doesn't happen right away mind you, but it does happen eventually. The days of taking out dr.s to great restaurants/golfing/etc. are long long gone. Now it's all about compliance and regulatory rules. I too would agree with the above that a PharmD would be an excellent route to take. It virtually assures you work for your life, and if you still wanted to get into pharma, there are jobs for PharmDs. I don't mean to poop on your dreams, so if it's coming across like that, I truly apologize. I just want to give you the realistic version of what life is like in pharma sales.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

PharmD is the route to pursue if you want to get into the medical, clinical or research side of things in Pharma/biotech. Endless opportunities ... but don't pursue a PharmD to break into Pharma as a sales representative. Not worth the time or investment.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Are there jobs in this field still, like I honestly feel very passionate about pursuing this, I like the business side of it more than becoming a pharmacist and it seems like a great career because I love talking to people, would it be hard to get in like is the field dieing down to no sales rep jobs left

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Also, would working for a wholesale company like Cardinal health be better?

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I will keep this as simple as possible: All companies treat their reps like shit. That is getting worse and worse.

So, if you can handle being treated like a bitch 24/7, then go for pharmaceutical sales.

This job was bad for the past 10-15 years, but it is at all time lows now.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Could you elaborate more, what do you mean by companies treating their reps Terribly, like do they boss you around all the time

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Are you like 12 years old? Jeez

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No this is just the first time I'm hearing that

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Agree with most of the comments here. Access to docs is very difficult these days. Too many reps in the field. The career also stagnates once you hit 50, unless you are one of the lucky ones to go the management track.

If you like biology and can afford it, you may also want to explore careers as an MD, PA, nurse etc.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I was just hired by J&J. Does anyone know what the fleet vehicle options are?

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

My advice, and take it from someone who has been in this industry for over twenty five years is stay away from Pharmaceutical Sales. I have been in a sales capacity my entire career and mostly with the same company. I am financially VERY WELL OFF, however the day to day grind of this industry has made me a changed person. The early and mid years were great, and when it all changed I was too vested in my pension, healthcare and salary to leave. I believe there will always be a need for companies to have a sales force, but ask yourself, do you really want to trade a bit of your soul for a career in this industry? Because I CAN GUARANTEE the trade off will cost you.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Lucky to get into management?
    Thanks for the laugh.

Have you seen some of these managers today? Some are in the field for a few years! Most don't have advanced degrees. Yes, advanced degrees should matter. But, not in this industry. Most managers can't sell in this industry. Trust me. They barely make calls with their reps, and they are not sharp in front of the doctors.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

What do you mean by trade a bit of your soul for a career in this industry?

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Obviously you have no clue about working in this industry. Working in POD'S or teams with members pitted against each other, managers who hassle and discrimination against their reps, offices that treat you like a leper. Not to mention faking calls and spending budget money on worthless staff. Your moral compass is titled, your values are challenged daily...

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

jaded

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Do you guys actually work 8 hours a day ? I heard the hours are very flexible and most work 10-2, I'm guessing you don't work long days if it's hard to see doctors and you have to fake phone calls