Arthrex Reps - Happy?

Discussion in 'Arthrex' started by Anonymous, Dec 18, 2008 at 10:02 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How much stress, how much pay, working under contract - What are contract specifics if so?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't do it. Most of the distributors will try and rip you off. Expect be a 1099 and pay all your expenses (car, gas, parking, health insurance, business expesnses) etc. Lastly, when the distributor tells you that you can make 150K subtract 30K from that at least!

I left my distributor and now work direct for another company and make just as much with all the benefits, car allowance, 401K, health insurance, parking, laptop, phone and business expenses.

Arthrex has a great product line but isn't worth the hassle with the bogus distributors they have. It shows how greedy Arthrex and their distributors really are.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Couldn't cut it, huh?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I guess they couldn't cut it...haha...

I have been working for Arthrex as a 1099 for 3 years and I like it a lot. There are days that I get stressed out and hate certain things, but overall I cannot imagine being anywhere else. And yes, paying all of your expenses and insurance does suck but that is just one thing that makes me work harder. I am probably going to end '08 making 175K. (After expenses)

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I left my distributor and Arthrex and now work for a spine company. I was averaging $150-$160K and was 1099 which means I too had to cover all my expenses. I did the math and realized I was spending close to $30K after taxes. I am now a direct rep in the same territory making $220K this year. No expenses, full benefits and a $750/month car allowance. I know I know, everyone jerk off on here is going to say "you couldn't cut it." Well, I looked at it as a business decision and realized how tight my distributor was with paying reps. Commission rates have not increased in the last 5 years and again expenses such as gas have gone up dramatically.

To the OP: Be very careful and make sure the Arthrex distributor you are interviewing or looking at is legit. Most distributors are cash cows and very very shady. The ones I know of are on the west coast, mid-atlantic, Florida and the midwest.

Good luck.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

1099, Guarantee 60k, NO expenses for a year, and later a commission plan that MIGHT get you that, maybe not. No benefits at all.

Did reps that left have non compete? How did that work out?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How many $$$ did you sell to make those six figures? % commish? Contract? Terms?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

New to board!!! Often wondered who is on these things!! I have been a Arthrex rep for 12 years and felt compelled to write! I don't know who the Distributors are that these supposed reps work for, but trust me the sentament at my company is not the same!
    I love selling Arthrex!!! I'm sure most of the guys I sell with feel the same! It's not hard to sell the most innovative company in Ortho PERIOD!!!!! Sure their are knock offs from this company and that company!!! It doesn't matter!!! Once you have the relationship it's all over with anyway!!!!!!!!!!! It's called selling Bitches!!! Blame the company all you want! If you have a great product, the rest is up to you!! That's the way I feel at least and it works for me!!! But then again I don't work with a bunch of pussies that wine all the time about my distributorship!!! What have they done for me lately!!!!! boo hoo!!!! I know what they did for me and that's pay me and my team s SHIT LOAD of cash last year!!! My advice, work your ass off and enjoy the ride!!!!!!! For the rest of you, keep jumping around blaming everyone for your weakness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's assholes like this that have no clue what they are talking about. First off, every distributorship is VERY different. Some are great to their reps others are dicks. This goes in all medical device industries. I know of distributorships with Arthrex that treat reps like this..........take a look in Florida, mid-atlantic, midwest and west coast. Any Arthrex reps out there reading this, you KNOW who I am talking about. Also, some people may be making more dollars in different distributors because of territory sizes. It's a lot different if you are in a 3 million dollar 20 account territory paying your own expenses then a 1 million dollar, 10 account territory paying expenses.

Bottom line is this. Arthrex has great products and is a joy to sell. However, do your homework on the distributorship and how they treat their reps. Make sure you know the size of the territory and how much it's producing. Lastly, have a lawyer check your non-compete BEFORE you sign anything. Most states won't enforce a non-compete but cover your ass just in case.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I worked for a distributor, cash cow as said above, paid NO expenses, and grew territory VERY well but pay was pathetic.

Glad to leave and Arthrex lost a great rep, as I am sure has happened many times.

Greed throughout Arthrex and the distributors has and will continue to hinder sales force.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The previous poster is correct. I left a distributor a year ago because of the Arthrex/distributor greed. Moved onto a spine company and make twice as much with expenses paid. Arthrex is eventually going to suffer because of there constant greed.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why don't you guys cite some examples of how Arthrex is greedy instead of whining like little girly boys.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not whining at all. Just stating the facts. Most Arthrex distributors are out for themselves and don't care about their reps. Simple as that. I on the other hand now work for a spine company, make a ton more cash and don't have to put up with dick heads like you selling a little itty bitty anchor.

Good luck with those push locks and suture taks. I hear S&N finally got sick and tired of Reinhold stealing technology from them.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What spine co.(s) do you recommend? Thanks.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Any of them. It depends on the territory you live in.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree, your happiness depends on the distributor you work for.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Common theme looks like the distributors overall are no different than the mfg., pure selfish greed, win win for them, sales reps lose lose in big picture.

I will look elsewhere for a GOOD/Better employer.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You're right. I believe most companies are greedy overall, however at least corporations (direct sales) provide benefits with the pay. Distributors are very very shady in how they operate because they can get away with it. I would steer far away from distributors and pay more attention to the actual companies themselves.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Distributors have gotten away with it, but the masses of the salespeople working for them will NOT be the first rate top guns in my opinion (or stay), me included and I agree, corporations directly hiring people realize recruiting and maintaining QUALITY salespeople costs, but its an ROI, one they cannot overlook. You get what you pay for, and larger pay is required of HIGH caliber sales professionals, and it continues to motivate them.

Distributors and Arthrex's use of them, is hurting them. Poor business decisions. Paying different levels of commission, compensation packages, benefits/or none, etc. etc. is SO inconsistent and DE-motivating to sales reps.

If all reps realized this, and stopped accepting it, they would be forced to get more 'fair and balanced' in pay/benefits.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I believe all this will bite Arthrex in the end. I used to work for a distributor of Arthrex and the communication level to the distributors was extremely poor. Training is absolutely pathetic and the quotas were becoming a joke.