Arthrotunneler

Discussion in 'Tornier' started by Anonymous, Nov 23, 2009 at 6:52 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Tornier recently came out with a new device in the sports med space, the Arthrotunneler, that allows surgeons to pass suture directly through the humeral head arthroscopically via bone tunnels for rotator cuff repairs which eliminates the need for the use of an anchor.

Word is they are receiving great feedback on it. My question on the rep level is....how do you make money on this? Naturally you can bill out for the equipment, but once its in one of your hospitals and you are no longer being paid on anchor usage.....how do you make money? Solely on suture usage?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is a single use device that is receiving great feedback. From what I hear, pricing is comparable to an average anchor. It is in limited release phase and set to be fully released nationwide sometime in January.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

GEE, what an original idea, bone tunnels. I don't think that's ever been tried before. Why would you advocate putting the sutures directly through the Humeral Head?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Might be the cost of one anchor...but the reimbursement is ZERO for the Arthrotunneler since it is considered a suture passing device, not an implant...Good luck selling that to surgery centers and quite frankly hospitals won't be happy at all either.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

why not....both surgery center and hospitals have purchased single use suture passing devices like suture lasso's and such....this would be no diff with the exception that it is saving them money on purchasing overpriced anchors.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Overpriced anchors that are able to do the job that bone tunnels were not able to do. Let's go back to doing things the way thery were done 25 years ago in the interest of cost. People went to overpriced anchors for a reason. I know, this is the latest and greatest and different from the old way of doing tunnels. Well, guess what, a bone tunnel is a bone tunnel. Things haven't changed that much in 25 years. Good luck

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

suture will cut through bone

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not to mention the fact that Tornier has zero sports med presence or relationships!!!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey, thats not nice. This is a forum for fun and interesting topics. Stop your behavior right now. You wouldnt be the first person I've reported to the webmaser before so watch it.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

With the high tensile strength sutures out it only makes sense that the suture will cut through the bone unless it is absolutely great bone. Even when you immobilize a patient there is going to be some movement and that will be enough to cut through, cause gaps, and give a failed repair. It turns one surgery into a great possibility for a redo!!!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I must believe that most of you are not sports reps... So let me educate you. The suture does not cut through the bone. This technique is twenty five years old but it is also considered the gold standard in the repair of these tendons. Doctors are raving about it! Most surgery centers only recover about 30% of the implant cost so this product does save them money. Tornier reps have plenty of relationships in the shoulder arthroplasty world the same group who do a great portion of of shoulder sports med. I would be very afraid of loosing business to these guys. Good Luck!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not as easy as it sounds. Talk to the thought leaders in arthroscopy and they have trouble using it. The surgeon in Dallas that invented it can make it work only after multiple tries and still has trouble at times making it work. Not as easy as suture anchors as you still have to pass the suture through the soft tissue. The kit is also closer in price to two to three anchors.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The ArthroTunneler is the future of arthroscopic cuff repair. All you anchor reps who say that suture will just cut through bone are just trying rationalize what they are promoting, too many anchors being used. Who do you think will be the second company on the market with a device that does the same thing the ArthroTunner does, allow surgeons to do arthroscopic Transoseous rotator cuff repair. This was and will be the gold standard of cuff repair. The Near multi suture technique, also known as Mason Allen, did not tear through the bone. Back to the future. Take that Rienhold! You know you can make a better mouse trap, but will your reps like it? Probably not. For once, think of the patient.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm sure Reinhold is shaking in his little German Boots!!!!!!!!! NOT!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does anybody know if product# OM-1502 by Arthrocare can actually be billed as an implant?? So I can get reimbursed by some payors. The hospital wants to bill hcpcs C1713 along with revenue code 278(implants). Magnum2 knotless implant w/inserter handle

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The OM-1502 is an anchor. Plain and simple it can be referred to as a OPUS Magnum2 Implant.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Arthrotunneler?

Like the Arthrotunneler, isn't the Magnum OM-1502 also a suture passing device? The actual implant anchor is not purchased separately. So, I do not believe the product as a whole can be billed as an implant, correct?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The arthrotunneler can be billed as an implant now, with the addition of 2 PEEK implant gromets for the lateral tunnels. This is a great product, just not being marketed right. Could put a dent on the stranglehold arthrex has had in the shoulder market.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What is Marketing????

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not being marketed right... Have you followed the change in Tornier since the invasion of the corporate body snatchers? Name one person hired in the last 5 years in marketing or product management with any relevant orthopaedic work experience. The company is a joke.