At what point did you see that this job was ridiculous?

Discussion in 'The Darkened Sample Closet' started by Anonymous, Dec 5, 2010 at 4:33 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

For me, it was about six months into the job (my first "real" job out of college). I had a pod member start going off on me because I left too many samples in an office and the bitch was getting audited and needed to track down the samples and lot numbers and crap.

That, and after I busted my ass (yes, I actualy used to work 50hrs a week in my first year because I liked the challenge and wanted to get results) and ended up the year first in the district (despite the fact that I was a first year rep in a district with many veteran reps) and only got a check for about 2k.

2k for all this work?

I quit the next year, and never have looked back. I don't make as much money, but I am happy knowing that I made the right decision because this industry is nothing but FAKE.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I realized it was ridiculous after my fisrt year in. First, the success stories on the phone were absolutely ridiculous. Then we had to listen to managers having reps "share" with the rest of the team what they were doing to have such high rankings.

I was like......are you kidding me?. You could rank 10th one year.... and then January 1 when the new plan rolls out you are bottom of the barrell. Fake call notes, time stamps.
    management won;t fess up to this secret cult....if we are all let go then they do not have jobs either....and so on up the command chain!

RIDICULOUS!

3. Drug Dumper

Drug Dumper Well-Known Member

Maybe so, but the $$ sure was great, wasn't it?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

At the end of my 2nd year. === Knew I had to get out when I missed an important family event over a meaningless conference call. Knew I was going to be switching careers when I lost my pet because I was in the middle of a ridiculous Webinar. By the time I was able to get out of my office, he had already been missing for about an hour and it was dark.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is ridiculous. First of all, the conf call statement - have you ever heard of telling your DM that you were at a docs office and couldn't get away? Stupid statement there, buddy.

As for the dog? How in the hell does being in the middle of a Webinar make you lose your pet? Don't let the friggin' animal out when you're on the phone or away from the house.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

the family event was a touchdown. stepped a few feet from the field for a better connection because it was my "Turn" for some stupid update on nothingness.
    I don't live alone, so with the Webinar someone else UNKNOWINGLY let the cat out. Then I discovered it after the time on the computer. (it may have been a test) Whatever it was, my point is how this job takes over in areas of your life and it's all for not. don't you get it?

7. Walking Eagle

Walking Eagle Active Member

Pharma sales jobs have gotten more and more intrusive of personal time every year. Every time they get a new gizmo, they go nuts with it. Field Managers to show upper management how progressive they are at adapting to and adopting new technology. New ways to track rpes and make sure they are working or complying, etc. When I got into this business, a manager would have to get up early in the morning (or sneak by in the afternoon), fight traffic, find a good hiding place and spy on reps to find out when they were leaving for work and/or getting home. Fax machines, computers, cell phones, phone conferences, web conferences, GPS, GPS in cell phones, GPS in hand held and laptop computers, along withall sorts of devices to hide in your fleet car to report where you are, shen you started in the morning, how fast you drive, which office you are at and at what time and for how long. If the assholes would just be honest about it all and tell their respective sales forces that they are being monitored instead of denying it, they would actually get better numerical productivity. NOT from the existing teams as most of us would leave, but from the new hires. PLUS the newbies would not be near as effective because they will be spending an inordinate amount of time trying to comply to Big Brother or at least trying to find new ways to beat the system instead of how to get more product movement. Do you think Big Brother will EVER learn?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The money is better than a lot of jobs but I wouldn't call it great. Maybe in biotech. Plenty of B2B reps that make far more than a primary care rep and no degree required.

Pharma is good, but not great.