Average Sales Rep Day

Discussion in 'Quest Diagnostics' started by Anonymous, Oct 1, 2014 at 7:26 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am interviewing with Quest. I have been in Medical Sales for 8 years. Can someone describe the average day as a Quest Sales Rep. Seems like a good company but concerned there is a lot I won't be able to control. Thanks.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sleep in, do nothing, complain that no one does anything to allow you to succeed, then pass out drunk and wonder why your commission and expense checks aren't here yet...

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nothing average. Only elite superstars need apply.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nothing elite, just jr vP aka mr original crying to his team of stuperstars on a daily basis

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't comment on subjects for which you have no understanding. When we want to know how to construct a whopper or how much hot apple pies are going for we will let you know.

Hope this helps.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Get my kids to school. Start working around 10. Spend the rest of the day looking for another job in between the 100 or so conference calls each day, much of which is mindless SD speak. Rinse and repeat.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Really? Really?

At this company? You should be ashamed complaining about it. Hope this helps guy is correct.

Really Guy?

Really Guy?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nothing to get worked up over. The sleep till 10, brag about cheating our great organization type on this board rarely actually work for Quest. He was likely dismissed, or is about to meet that fate. That is why he is here, trying to prop up his fragile and damaged ego. He should call Dr. Laura instead, have a good cry and get it all out of his system. There is no place for him here. Nice to see a fellow company man posting. You sound like superstar material. Contact me at my office. We are always looking to expand our elite team.

Hope this helps.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Quest & LabCorp don't have sales reps, they have order takers. What you see is what they offer. Good luck getting any good (let alone great) service, unless you are a C1 client.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I’ve been reading many of these boards for a long time and “Hope this Helps” is predictably absent from any substantive discussions regarding Quest Diagnostics or our industry in general.

To the O.P., the most significant aspect not in your control would be manage care contracts. However, if you have 8 years’ experience, then you most likely have the basic business development skills. If that’s in place, then an above average work ethic will yield a fairly good annual earning.

It helps to be in a market where a major laboratory performs the specimens, but even that doesn’t always predict success (Wood Dale, IL is an example). Sales leadership, or lack thereof, could also have an influence on sales success (Pacific NW is an example).

That being said, I have been a top producer in a poor managed care market, no local laboratory and average sales officers. If you put in the work you will be successful.

Cheers!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh, brother. Thanks for the lofty advice, professor. I am sure a newly hired rep would have assumed that he/she would have control over managed care contracts. And I didn't know that we "performed specimens". Last time I checked we performed clinical laboratory tests on specimens. While I find it unpleasant to agree with such a simpleton, you are correct about the hard work equals success equation, but I doubt that you practice what you preach.

Hope this helps.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Performing specimens is short-hand for a laboratory’s pre-analytical, analytical and post analytical processes, or, if this makes it easier for you to comprehend, all the steps a specimen goes through to produce a test result.

The term “performing specimens” is common usage in our industry. But to bring it back to the O.P.’s question, the location of where these steps happen could have an effect on service levels and therefore not in the sales person’s control.

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am the OP and thank you for a real answer. It's very easy to weed out the silly answers from the low life's who are obviously not in Sales. The other guy must have some serious issues. I've read various threads on the Quest board. It's too bad this guy thinks he is funny. He must actually believe people think he is for real. His life must be filled with sadness. Go to worship a god this weekend or go to an animal shelter and get a puppy!! Then again.....bad idea on the puppy. The poor animal would probably run away. Anyways, thanks again for the "real" opinion.
    If there are any other real opinions out there please pass them on........and save it " hope for help" guy. And yes that is your new nick name because you do need help.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

meltdown

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does the truth hurt your feelings Mr Meltdown/Hope this helps. Get back on your meds asap.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Medis might help him read longer sentences.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Post #12 ---well done !!!! HTH is a schmuck!!!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

All future responses to HTH should just be a paste of #12.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I like the constant references to apple pies--like I said before, HTH is either pulling an "American Pie scene" with all of those apple pies or he's one fat MF because he's been eating them for so long.

Anyway--typical day? I start earlier because I have a few offices that like to see reps before they start, so it's usually 7:45. I try to hit any new business in the morning before the office gets too crazy, have lunch, and follow ups in the afternoon. Like another said, there are always lame calls in between--this is usually road time or a good time to stop, somewhat listen, and catch up on HULU. I finish around 4:30. I am from pharma, orphan drug with lots of travel, laid off after drug was purchased, took this to stay closer to home. Not making the money quite yet but I'm still relatively new, I see potential but not likely as much as my pharma job. But, I get home and see my kids every night...no dinner programs! I hope this helps the OP, good luck.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Which is why many flock to this area of clinical diagnostics – no overnights. Unlike equipment, medical devices etc…, the prospects are all found within a drivable radius. You won’t make the big bucks found it the other sectors; routine reps are 100 at plan and specialty reps 125K, but it if you like to put in a hard day’s work and then spend the balance of the day with your family – it’s a nice trade-off.

Best of luck to you,