Best home workout plans

Discussion in 'Fitness and Nutrition' started by Anonymous, May 10, 2008 at 1:38 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Some people on here say DVDs and stuff are a waste of time but has anyone had any good results with any of the DVDs you can buy for exercising at home? Gyms are full of germs and gross, I don't want to go there. Need home workout advice.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Try the IFIT exercise bands--$20 at Walmart, and comes with a DVD and carrying case should you travel.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

nah, you need some type of aerobic workout. Those exercise bands at Walmart are a big gimmick. I've seen the same devices come and go 5 times in the last 30 years under various names. You need to buy a stairmaster or treadmill and gradually work up to a vigorous 40 minute workout 4-5 times a week. That is the only thing that will maintain good function of your heart and internal organs. All the other stuff is hype. If you have time to do 15 minutes of resistance training after your aerobic workout all the better. The body was designed to move. The sedentary lifestyle is an early death sentence. Listen to music or talk radio during your workouts to keep your mind occupied. Good luck.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

When I finally bought my own home a few years ago, I set up a home gym, after alot of trial and error I would recommend:
    A good smith machine
    A good exercise bike
    Chuck norris type body shaper(do not laugh until you try it, great for a early morning twenty minute session, alot cheaper for weider unit)
    at least 300 lbs of weight
    Two good adjustable benches
    Select tec dumbell set 10-80 lb increments
    I had the best success splitting up aerobic in the morning/weight training at night right before dinner, alot easier to split your training into two 25-30 minute sessions.
    Hope that helps

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is full of shitty advice.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't pay any attention to the above poster unless you want to start a fee-for-service gym at your home. The average person needs nothing even close to this. You would just end up hanging your clothes on the expensive equipment. Think simple. A stairmaster, exercise bike or treadmill is more than enough. For those of you on a tight budget, two 30 minutes walks a day at a brisk pace around the block is really all you need. If you want some resistance training use 2 dining room chairs for dips and leg raises. Buy a couple of buckets at walmart and fill them with sand to use as dumbells. Don't fall for the expensive exercise equipment. They're just trying to transfer your hard earned money from your pocket into theirs. Be smart.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ha! Buckets with sand? What are you in prison? All of the equipment I mentioned can be had for around 1500 dollars. About two years of gym dues.
    If you have ever done any serious weight training you need a little more than two chairs and some buckets.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

LOL! That had to be Soothsayer. Buckets with sand....

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You must work in the fitness industry. I can build a bigger set of biceps and deltoids with a couple buckets of sand than you could with your fucking Joe Weider weights. People should save their money and buy better quality nutrition for themselves and a good pair of exercise shoes to save their legs. That's how their could really benefit their health. Most people buy the equipment, use it for a couple weeks and then it collects dust. It just takes up space. You would rather that they waste their money on bullshit gadgets. I have none of that crap and I bet I'm in much better shape than you are.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Never mind your buckets junior, you should invest in some xanax. Im sure you can give us all a nice plan to target all your major muscle group with buckets of sand, I could see you trying to do flys as your sand spills all over your angry face. Smith machines are not bullshit gadgets.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My biceps are each 17.5 inches.

How big are yours, homer??

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i do stone work for a living and I deceided to try lifting buckets of sand...i weighed them to 15 lbs each...this is by far the best workout i have ever done..it combines stretching with weighttraining...it is very easy on the hands, it doesnt rip at the skin like free weights..i do curls, lunges , lateral raises, ...plus you can really target the muscles , just go up and down a few inches...man talk about a burn..i am 53 and i cannot believe how ripped i am starting to get...still need to lose about 30 lbs though

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you want a gym at home monitor the local garage or estate sales. NEVER BUY YOUR EQUIPMENT RETAIL!!! You'll get ripped. Americans are notorious for buying treadmills, stairmasters, rowing machines, weights, etc... and never using them. Years later they want to clear the clutter from the house and sell the crap dirt cheap.

All you need is one good piece of aerobic equipment, a set of light weights with dumbells, and perhaps a bench. Do 40 minutes of aerobics 4-5 times a week. Vigorous exercise. Learn to eat healthy food. Drink lots of water or non-sugary liquids. Cleanse you kidneys often.

Most important - build your self-discipline so that your 40 minute workout comes as naturally as brushing your teeth in the morning.

Good luck.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The workout you give me on Tuesday and Thursday when your spouse is out of town is just the right thing for me.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

the best home workout plan does not involve working out for at least 3 weeks but does involve guarenteed results - go to walmart, purchase a big role of silver duct tape, put it over your mouth for the majority of the day, and only consume 800 calories of high protein, low carb, low fat foods plus a multivit and there will be shocking results. once you c that, feel free to work out - then the layer of fat will be gone and you will truly see results.... don't bother before you CHANGE YOUR FATTY, HIGH CALORIE DIET!!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

last poster right on!!

17. hermione

hermione Guest

Try and see what works for you. However, while waiting for your equipment and machines, you may want to start with a DVD on yoga, hip hop abs, cardio exercises..etc. Yoga does wonders and hip hop dance routines just pump up the circulation faster enough to burn those stubborn bulges.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

INSANITY! no other comparison. if you can stay commited you will shred in in your first 30-45. the other 15 days are easy!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Calenetics.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I hate to exercise. Hurt a knee trying to get back in shape too aggressively. Following surgical repair, the surgeon insisted I start riding a bicycle...no resistance at first, then gradually increase. Cadence minimum of 70rpm, 30 minutes minimum, 4 times per week. Thought he was crazy, but did it anyway. Figured if 30 was good, 40 would be better. Started riding everyday, early in the morning. Before long my trail bike was too slow for me, and I bought a road bike, but was adamant that I would never buy those clip in pedals or those tight biking shorts. I always wore my cross training type shoes, but found late in the rides that my feet were fatiguing. Figured the shoes were doing what they were designed for by absorbing a lot of the energy between my legs and the pedals. At that point the light came on to why the clip-in pedals (and rigid bottom shoes) make sense. Growing tired of my 12-15 mile daily ride, I succumbed to pressure from on of my kids and got the pedals and shorts. Increased my output by at least 30%. Now ride 20-30 miles per day.

Along the way, I cleaned up my diet a bit, eliminating most junk foods. Snack on almonds (always have a bag of them close by) or apples. After 6 months, all the above had me down 25 pounds...pain free. Couldn't ride much over the winter, but my new eating habits maintained my weight loss. Now I'm back at it and have dropped another 5 pounds. My likely maintenance weight will be another 5 pound loss.

My advice is simple: Find something that you can enjoy that you can do every day, and be patient. Before long it becomes a lifestyle. I no longer crave Snickers or carmel corn or ice cream, but I do still enjoy them all on rare occasion. I still eat anything I want, just not as much or as often. I kid you not...this was pain free with no sense of loss for anything that I cut out. I never had any weight loss goals (which can lead to frustration if not achieved). My only goal was to get my sorry ass out of bed every morning, eat breakfast, down a cup of coffee, and hit the road...every day...no excuses.