Breaking into Pharm Sales- Graduating Senior

Discussion in 'Pharma Sales Ops - General Discussion' started by Jasujas0, Feb 10, 2016 at 3:18 PM.

1. Jasujas0

Jasujas0 new user

Hey guys, so I'm currently a senior at UC Davis majoring in Biology. I will be graduating in 5 months, and I'm looking to break into pharmaceutical sales I was wondering if it is too early for me to start applying for jobs I am qualified for?
    Most jobs require a BS and I will be getting it in 5 months, so will they not consider my application until I finish?
    I do not have any sales experience, but I am very knowledgeable about Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology, and drug interactions.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It's not the easiest industry to break into out of college but from what I've seen you can try interning or try to get into inside sales with a company. A lot of people I know have come in from other B to B sales after a couple of years. But right now it looks like companies are looking to hire from within the industry. Good luck!

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

First off, by reaching out and being proactive you already demonstrate the initiative it takes to be a pharma rep. It is true that you must have a degree in hand before applying to companies. UC Davis has many alum in the pharma sector and i would suggest networking via Linkedin. Here is another step i would suggest, try contacting local outfits such as Genentech in your area. Ask them about internships or if they offer informational interviews. Another suggestion, when you graduate it will be tough to penetrate the likes of Merck, Pfizer, J & J, Novartis, Lilly,etc. These same companies use contract sales forces to sell their older, mature products. This allows their reps to market the latest approved drugs. You will get a salary, bonus, car, benefits at a smaller rate but it is still good. These contract companies include Inventiv and Quintiles. While working at these companies you will meet and work indirectly with the reps from the parent company (Merck,Pfizer,etc). I have known many that took this route and were noticed quickly and hired on with the big pharma company within another year or two. Another thing, dont limit yourself to big markets. If there is a rep job in Yuba City or say Stockton, take it! It is only temporary and you dont have to live there. Again, that is what the free company car is for. I will try to check back in to offer more advice.

Signed,
    BigpharmaguyinNorthernCA

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Find a new career kid. However to answer your question go ahead and apply. Certain companies like young reps. Lilly for one. Others won't touch you... Pfizer. Good luck but I'd look at other careers.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

IF you can get any pharma sales job, take it only as part of your strategic development plan. Do NOT plan on a career in pharma sales....that job is diminishing/going away. Very little security. Do it for two years, get promoted or leave and get a good graduate degree or work for another company. Sale rep is a dying career.

Good luck

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I broke into Pharma last year with a similar background as you. I had a monicum of sales experience but nothing impressive. I would recommend finding some sort of B2B (Business to Business) sales job ASAP. Even if its commission only. Learn to sell. Read books on selling. The Bio degree will help when it comes to learning and communicating clinically but unless you can sell it doesn't mean squat. At the end of the day reps are salesmen, not scientists.

I agree when it comes to not making Pharma your end goal. There's not a ton of stability in it and from a medical perspective it can be a bit boring. The markets that are relatively stable are generally highly sought after by already seasoned reps. I'm interviewing for surgical device positions now using my Pharma as a stepping stone. Better earning potential, more stability, and you are in the OR.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Stay away from Pharma at all cost. It is done.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Well not necessarily but it is a hard industry to be in at the moment and to get into. I see a lot of the companies have adapted to the ever changing regulations and do see more jobs growing in pharma vs just 5 years ago.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Pharma sales is a dead-end street. It's a pale shadow of what was once a legitimate career. Those still in this game spend their days begging for doctor signatures and lying about their activities. That's not a criticism of them; they are simply doing what they have to in an effort to stay employed. It's a train wreck of an industry. Move on.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest