Calloway soon to be out of business

Discussion in 'Calloway Laboratories' started by Anonymous, May 28, 2014 at 5:49 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Change the industry? You mean attempt to catch up to 2014. Current successful drug testing laboratories are all testing by mass spectrometry only, and have been for years. No EIA ever.

Calloway was left in the dust in 2012. The path could have been readily changed, but the default on the promised cash infusion by Ampersand, after the purchase of the company, sealed our fate. Retooling the lab to jump into this decade never happened.

RJ from HR helped fuel our demise immensely, by getting rid of decades of talent in the lab, to "save" a few bucks an hour. Ultimately, the failure of a laboratory developed test, pushed prematurely to market by a deliberately blind CEO looking only at saving the bottom line, doomed this place. Damn the patients, full speed ahead!

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

What’s WARN Act?
    Generally, WARN requires certain employers or businesses to give workers 60 days advance written notice of a plant closing or a “mass layoff.” The law doesn’t apply to all employers, but generally only to those with at least 100 employees. And, it doesn’t apply to all employees, either.

WARN’s notice requirement is intended to give you time to cope with the idea of losing your job, to look for another job, and to get new skills or retraining to help you compete in the job market.

Covered Employees
    Regular, full-time workers are covered by WARN, meaning they’re the workers who are used to determine if the WARN notice provisions are triggered. There are several kinds of employees who are not covered, such as:

• Part-time employees. These are workers who are employed less than 20 hours per week or for less than six of the last 12 months
    • Workers who are on strike or who’ve been “locked out” in a dispute between the employer and a labor union
    • Temporary workers, that is, workers who were hired to do a specific task or project and knew that their employment wasn’t permanent
    Just because you’re a part-time employee doesn’t mean that you don’t benefit from WARN. If there is in fact a covered layoff or closing, discussed below, then you too have to be given advance notice of it.

Triggering WARN
    An employer has to let you know at least 60 days in advance of any:

• Plant closing. This is when an “employment site,” or part of a site, is shut down and causes an “employment loss” for 50 or more employees during any 30-day period
    • Mass layoff. This is a reduction in force (RIF) that causes an employment loss at a single site during any 30-day period of at least: (1) 500 employees, or; (2) 50 to 499 workers if they make up at least 33% of the employer’s workforce
    An employment site can be a building or department, or a group of buildings, like a campus. Employment loss means: (1) Your employment was terminated, but it doesn’t include if you’re fired “for cause,” like for disciplinary reasons, voluntarily quitting or retiring; (2) You’re laid-off for more than 6 months, or; (3) Your work hours are reduced more than 50% in each month of a six-month period.

Plant closings and layoffs are the most common events that trigger WARN. However, you may be entitled to WARN notice when the employer makes several waves of layoffs over a 90-day period or if a plant is relocated.

What’s in the Notice and Its Purpose
    WARN has detailed rules on what a WARN notice must contain and who has to get it. Hourly and salaried employees and managerial and supervisory staff must be given notice. Business partners, consultants, and contract workers don’t, however. The notice itself is supposed to contain details about the closing or layoff, like when it will happen and whether it’s permanent.

In addition to giving you time to look for a new job, the WARN notice kicks in the services of the dislocated worker unit in your state. This unit is responsible for getting you tools and resources to help you find another job, such as:

• Information about the current job market, such as which industries are and aren’t hiring
    • Job search and placement services
    • Help with writing your resume and preparing for interviews
    • Assistance in finding and paying for retraining or education courses
    Penalties
    If you don’t get the required WARN notice, you may be able to recover back pay and benefits for the period of violation, up to 60 days. Also, if you have to hire an attorney to file a lawsuit because of your employer’s failure to follow WARN, your employer may have to pay your court costs and attorney’s fees.

State WARN
    Many states have their own WARN statutes, and they can vary significantly from the federal WARN Act. For example, in some states, like New York, you may be entitled to 90 days advance notice of a mass layoff or plant closing. So, if you’re being laid off or if your plant is closing, be sure to check the laws in your area, or talk to an experienced employment law attorney, to make sure you get all of the benefits you’re entitled to.

Questions for Your Attorney
    • I found a new but lower-paying job after getting a WARN notice from my old employer. It’s now opening a new plant. Does it have to offer me a job at the plant?
    • If I’m laid off for eight months like my WARN notice says and I’m only allowed to get unemployment compensation for 6 months, what am I supposed to for money for the other two months?
    • I was on maternity leave when my company announced a plant closing. I didn’t get a WARN notice. Wasn’t I supposed to get one?
    • I mailed all 150 WARN notices on the same day, and all but five workers received the notice within 60 days of a planned layoff. Can they sue me for not giving notice within the required time?

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The Greed of a few has destroyed many.
    Calloway signing off

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them." --Ernest Hemingway

She never trusted those that disagreed with her, and never took the time to understand the science. She sure was a sucker for bullshit though.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Castle actually looks like one of the few good guys in this sometimes unethical industry. Hey.. They made #1 fastest growing healthcare company in this years INC Magazines 500 list. Can't be all that bad!! Worth a good look to me!!

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Hahaha. Funny post!

Millennium Laboratories Founder and CEO James Slattery Named Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year(R) 2011 Award Semifinalist in San Diego Slattery Joins Prestigious List of Ernst & Young Semifinalists
    Published: Monday, 25 Apr 2011 | 6:00 AM ET Text Size
    SAN DIEGO, April 25, 2011 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Millennium Laboratories, a leading provider of prescription drug monitoring services and education to physicians and staff treating chronic pain, announced today that the company's founder and CEO James Slattery has been named as a semifinalist for the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year(R) 2011 Award for the San Diego region. Slattery was selected as a semifinalist from nearly 165 nominations by a panel of independent judges. The Ernst & Young awards program recognizes entrepreneurs who demonstrate excellence and extraordinary success in such areas as innovation, financial performance, and personal commitment to their businesses and communities. Award winners will be announced on June 16, 2011.

(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20110425/LA88476) James Slattery launched Millennium Laboratories in late 2006 after a successful career that encompassed broadcast communications and real estate development.

Under his direction as chief executive officer in less than five years the company has built a solid reputation as a leader in pain management services, setting industry standards in drug testing and reporting, clinical research and education. A national network of physicians now uses Millennium Laboratories' services to increase patient safety and improve patient care for people experiencing chronic pain.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

One might want to remember the relationship between the business press and Enron in the year prior to its bankruptcy when reading articles like this one.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Multi-Squat did change the industry. Calloway is now gone.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

She slurped pineapple chunks. Gave her gas too, but that never stopped her from eating during a call. Too busy at other times to eat during the day, with her running Susan G. Komen operations on company time. Check the phone records, and subpoena duces tecum her personal cell phone(S) to verify.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Slurping and Gaseous Emissions in One Package. Listeners must have been enthralled!

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Even noise on the Quest board. Gail is infamous!

http://cafepharma.com/boards/threads/calloway-closing.586355/#post-5539885

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Must be tough for you guys....unusual in the US economy for an established firm, especially in the medical business with its steady sources of income from the Govt, to just blow up overnight. Takes some real lack of vision at the top.

Let's hope that the management, like Carly Fiorina post HP, is not offered any more opportunities to head up organizations

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Not just a lack of vision, but a fundamental lack of understanding of the market and the technology. Indifference killed them, just as surely as it killed Enron. Theranos is next to crash and burn, and that is a failure with a "B" as in billions of dollars.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/10/24/walgreens-halts-expansion-its-theranos-centers/74537868/

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Calloway closing is just devastating for many employees and their families. Management and Ampersand pulled the rug from under their feet with 9 day notice. There is people who are going to lose their houses even be homeless, people with health conditions will lose health insurance.
    I hope the government looks into this mess.
    Ampersand must be banned from doing business in the commonwealth of Massachusetts.
    Bastards!

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thank goodness the urine cup vending machine idea died an early death. That sh*t did not even make it to the wall. Only floor. SPLAT.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Your company was breaking laws and compliance years ago. I see the WARN Act was brought up in an earlier post, but didn't any of you hear about the Stark Law or Anti-Kickback Law. Those have been out there for years. You give a doctor free POC cups for their confirmation business, and confirm the entire panel!?! You knew what you were doing, and I have no remorse for your current predicament. Stupid is as stupid does...

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Call them: http://ampersandcapital.com/contact-us/

20. Mass.Gov/DUA

Mass.Gov/DUA Guest

Yeah, the Calloway Sales Team were a real top-notch group! Castle will be lucky to have them. Give me a break! Couldn't bother to even remember the actual test menu...Or refused to? GM and Ampersand have plenty of blood on their hands but there is enough blame to go around, especially to Sales. Must be nice to collect those last couple commission checks, huh? Dedicated and loyal employees, including front-line leadership got the boot with no severance...nothing! But the people charged with bringing in new business were already working for competitors in secret, that explains the consistent dwindle in volume. Clowns!