Can I be re-terminated by a company if I end up working there again vai acquisition?

Discussion in 'Industry Rumors' started by Specialtygal, Mar 27, 2010 at 3:24 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Specialtygal

Specialtygal Guest

I was wrongly and mercilessly fired from my last job at Pfizer. I'm thinking of taking another position with a small company, but there's a good chance Pfizer may buy this company in a year. If that happens, can Pfizer terminate me again?

2. Drug Dumper

Drug Dumper Well-Known Member

Re: Can I be re-terminated by a company if I end up working there again vai acquisiti

Absolutely. They'll probably put you on the top of the hit list, unless you are a top performer and even then, you'll probably be gone once they figure out who you are. Can you change your name?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Can I be re-terminated by a company if I end up working there again vai acquisiti

"I Think" that there is always a chance that they could fire you- but usually with acquistion you stay with your current team and managment and you could become lost in the whole mess...., but not always. If you end up being the only one let go, I think you would have a case, but if there is a down sizing, they could make you a target. This is an odd situation- ask an employment lawyer what your rights are or seach the web for answers- in any case, I'd go for the job with the small company and see where it all turns out! Atleast with a job you can still be looking for another while being paid-

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

When a company acquires another company, all of the information is data dumped into the new owner's system, as you would expect it to. Part of this data dumping includes social security numbers. I don't know if Pfizer will do this, but some companies actually do a search of the social security numbers to see if there are any former employees working at the acquired company and basically let the person go on trumped up excuses. In this day and age, it would only be a matter of time before they find out anyway.

If it was me, I would take the job with the smaller company; if Pfizer DOES end up acquiring the company you are working for, just hunker down and act like nothing has happened. You'll know soon enough if they have plans to let you go.

And you will have a job. You can't live your life on what if's - go for the job.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'd take the job and work hard to "win the loyalty" and trust of my new boss (if that is possible). Over time, you can discuss similar situations that heave happened to "someone" you know. Your new boss may have had a very similar experience...sounds nuts, but it has happened to me TWICE. The second time, I found a boss who had been in an identical situation and he understood fully. He hired me on the spot (he was at the same company in a different area). So, I guess I am always eligible to be re-fired.

At some point, you may be able to explain to your boss what happened and then he can "cover your back" as well as provide some mentoring/coaching. Build yourself some strong allies at high levels and you won't regret it.

Good luck! Let us know how it works out. You are not alone and the # of companies who pull crap like this is staggering. As long as you didn't sue Pfizer for wrongful termination, you can still be victorious in the end.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

TAKE THE JON FLY BELOW THE RADAR/ IF THE LOOK TO TERMINATE YOU GET THE DIRT IN EMAIL AND GET A LAW SUITE AGAIN THESE LOW LIFE COMPANIES WITH A BUNCH OF MORON MIDDLE LEVEL TALKING HEAD MANAGERS.