Can I retire yet?

Discussion in 'Merck' started by anonymous, Sep 25, 2017 at 8:14 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Financial service companies are like Merck, they are trying to make money—period. If one chooses to listen, the advise must be filtered through that prism.

The advise of when your income from investments, pension, social security, etc exceeds your expenses and you have some cash set aside for emergencies then you can retire. Social security is not going away. It may be tweaked. Changes in the funding max would make it solvent for decades. If your 50 today, dont worry about it.

Inflation is a factor but if your debt free its not as big a factor as the thieves at financial services lead you to believe and persuade u to invest heavily in stock to mitigate.

As for the comments from those worried about being poor at 80, i agree however who the fuck wants to work until ur 70 and then retire so old u cant do anything. Thas advise from those that want you work you like tool.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

A couple of years ago when I retired from Merck I received a mailing from an investment company that apparently contacts Merck retirees and offers investment options and advice. I attended their chicken lunch when they gave a general presentation at a local restaurant. I tend to do my own thing investment wise but i'am curious if anyone worked with that organization and if you did how did it work out?

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

If you do not know the difference between advice / advise or your / you’re please shut the F up.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Didnt read the post but grammer police people acn go FUCK OFF
    spell check is constantly chnaging shit and who care anyway

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Who cares, and with a question mark.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Stupid ass post. 5 million would equate to $200K a year. I don't make quite that now. If one has no mortgage and no debt they need much, much less. Rule of 72. Learn it.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Whatever you say, genus.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

When the money runs out, there’s all the govt assistance programs available that My taxes paid for many years. No worries, here.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Where are you getting that number? It is wrong and not even close...My mom's estate is worth 5 million and it throws off about 100K a year, conservatively invested in a blend of stocks and bonds...

Maybe in your world, it earns that kind of money with the addition of your Vegas poker winnings?

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The 4% Rule says anyone can safely draw 4% of their total invested retirement savings yearly (adjusted upward yearly for inflation) and never run out of money. Look it up. It is almost the standard by which many gage what they can spend. The $200K number is accurate. This is why all of these 3million to 5 million idiots are wrong. $1million would provide a safe down down of $40K a year alone.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yikes, that investment strategy is too conservative. You have a lot of money, but you’re not making much of a return. Even a conservative 4% return would get you $200000 per year (before taxes). A 3% return 150000 before taxes. Way too conservative.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

There is no guarantee on any investment. Where are you getting your numbers?

The past does not predict the future, when dealing with money.

Also, the next big bubble for the rich (managers and reps in pharma are not rich) to attack the middle class is the 401k and other retirement accounts. This is something to watch out for. The rich manipulated the real estate market in the mid 2000s, to really screw over a lot of people. Don't be naive when dealing with money.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You are ignorant. Look up the Trinity Study (4% Rule.) This is a very well studied method that takes into account the bear and bull markets over many decades. The yearly return is moot with this method. Stop spouting off 3 to 5 million and actually read and learn something.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

sure. one study explains it all.
    you are a toolbox that is overly optimistic.
    not smart.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

way too conservative?? What the heck are you smoking? The portfolio is invested in 50 percent equities so for a retiree in their late 80s, it is anything but conservative...It is a bit too risky if anything...

way to conservative...you're a fool and will part with your money as fools do...

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I have read and studied extensively on retirement. The 4% Rule is used by many. This tool has been proven through several depressions and recessions to work. I can only impart my wisdom to you. You sir....are the tool. If a 5million nest egg is only drawn down by 100K a year, the only thing that retiree is doing is preserving their retirement funds for their heirs.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You truly are an idiot. The person is saying your draw down is too conservative, not the ratios invested.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Hey Einstein...who is truly the idiot? Your "draw down" answer is crap... No one was talking about ratios...
    the issue is what the estate throws off in income douchebag

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The draw down rate is an example of a safe income from the estate and at 5million, they can safely draw down/generate 5 million. You are a fuckbag.