Can I retire yet?

Discussion in 'Merck' started by anonymous, Sep 25, 2017 at 8:14 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Serious posts only. We all agree 3 million is the sweet spot?

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You don't think the above is serious? Check the national stats on those nearing retirement age. The savings rate is abysmal. While you and your pharma buddies are wondering if 2 or 3 million is the sweet spot the vast majority of baby boomers haven't saved enough to buy a bottle of champagne for their retirement party. Who's going to support them? We savers are, that's who. Don't get to cocky.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You don't think the above is serious? Check the national stats on those nearing retirement age. The savings rate is abysmal. While you and your pharma buddies are wondering if 2 or 3 million is the sweet spot the vast majority of baby boomers haven't saved enough to buy a bottle of champagne for their retirement party. Who's going to support them? We savers are, that's who. Don't get to cocky.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Let's stick to the original topic at hand.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

#64 until they have a net worth on everyone, I do not believe it. No one knows who has what in real estate, bank, 401K, stock, investments, collections, etc.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

20 years here and $2.2M fully vested in 401k. Another 8 years and I'm retiring at 55. Mother Merck has provided me with the American Dream.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I think that's a decent amount. I actually have 4 million. We live below our means, and my wife and I don't buy expensive cars or go on expensive vacations. I'm 58. I think I'll probably work 2 more years, and then I'm out. The money is good, and the work...except for the b.s. isn't hard. no mortgage, no huge house, no expensive 2nd home etc. etc. etc.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Agreed. Fake news. One can have it in cash or in a checking or savings.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yes, 3 is average. You won't be able to splurge on anything. 5 or more should be the target.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You're approaching 50 years old with 20 years service at Merck? Better have a Plan B, you'll never last another 8 years, the target on your back very large already. Mother Merck will be providing you with a pink slip nightmare very soon. It's what she does.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I've been hearing that every year for the last 20 years and I'm still here. The low ranked ones need to worry, not COE award/trip winners like myself. Advice for you, get a job, don't get fired again, and stop bumming on CP all day !

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

"Stop bumming on CP all day" says the guy who posts at 8:47am. LOL - I won awards too. All you need is a new supervisor who either hates your guts or is given a mandate to downsize. You'll be gone in a heartbeat. And don't worry about me, I'm making more money now than I ever made at Merck (except for that year of 2 paychecks when I immediately got a new job and banked Momma's severance checks to me). And all this with the added benefit of a lower blood pressure now that I am outside of Momma's toxic atmosphere.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yes, 3 million minimum for places like Alabama and Idaho. 5 million or more for your bigger metro areas.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Depends on your debt and lifestyle. 3 million is a lot. 5 million is not going to happen for the vast majority of Americans. No mortgage or debt of any kind, pension from spouses job and great lifetime insurance, some real estate holdings, and 700K in 401K is perfect for us. Live in a red state with low taxes. I do not encourage anyone from a blue state to move to a red state. You people don't have enough sense to realize it's how you vote that makes your cost of living so high, and would just move to a better taxed state and bring your stupid ass voting habits with you. Please stay where you are.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

People posting on this board are either manipulating others or just ignorant

How can you say that 3 million or 5 million or any other figure you pull from arse is correct.

It's completely contingent upon your debt and lifestyle.
    If you own your home and auto and your debt free then you can retire with very little in savings. In this scenario you could have a few hundred thousand and be fine. Obama care and other subsidies are based on income not assets. Therefore you could live in a million dollar home on a golf course at 60 years old, show less than 24K in annual income and exist just fine.

Let's say you own your home, debt free and have 1 million in savings. Take the million and get 7/8% annual return, adjust for inflation, pull out 50K per year. Your minimizing your tax liability, have spendable income and you will never touch your principal in your lifetime with social security. You don't need 5 million dollars.

Now, if you want to travel a great deal, buy new homes and new cars every year then your going to need more money. if your not Debt free, your going to need more money.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I agree with this poster. More of a real world application.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Then you are an idiot that has never looked deeply at retiring.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

That's not the issue. You need 3 million+ because people are living longer and retiring earlier. My plan projects money to last until I am 95, based on family history. Because of the need for healthcare and perhaps even long term care, financial planners project 3- 5 million. If you retire at 60, that's 35 years of income for which you need to plan. Now if you retire at 65 and die at 75, that's another story.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You don't need $3M to retire comfortably. Somebody who's broke unemployed and lonely was googling fake news again.