Can I retire yet?

Discussion in 'Merck' started by anonymous, Sep 25, 2017 at 8:14 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Did your family history reveal your hooded klan granddaddy?

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This guy gets it.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No actually he does not get it.
    The income you need is contingent upon your lifestyle and expenses.
    I don't care if you live an additional 50 yeas or 10.
    You people simply ignore facts.

Take 1 million dollars. Invest that principal and receive on average an 8% rate of return. Take 40-50,000 annually in income plus your social security. Adjusting for inflation and you will never touch the principal. Have long term care insurance. If your debt free, then you are fine. It does not matter how long you live.
    Anyone telling you different is lying. Financial planners are definitely lying. They get paid by the size of your portfolio they manage. It's in their best interest to scare you into thinking you need 5 million.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It's not 1980 gramps. This won't cut it. The general consensus is 3-5 million.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Some folks are ignorant.
    2+2=4 however they will argue this with you and tell you it's new math

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Nursing home costs are easily $100,000 per year--nothing fancy. Enough said.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Exactly!!

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Did you miss something with the long term care insurance?

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I was layed off today, oops i mean displaced today. 53 married $3 M saved, no debt, house paid off 3 kids in college. I honestly feel no pressure to stress out any longer. We will live a modest lifestyle and are confident that we can make it last. I will claim SS at 62 and possibly supplement my income with a PT job doing something FUN. GOD Bless and good luck to all

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Congrats. That 3M should definitely give you some breathing room.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I'm 51 and just made 2 M. I don't think I will ever retire.:mad::mad:

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Retiring going forward will be very tricky. Eliminating SALT and other deductions in highly taxed states will have an intense impact. With eventual entitlement changes, people living longer, more responsibilities, outsourced jobs, changing job force careers. etc. Although very few people will live to be 95 or 90 for that matter many are living longer in 80's than previously. But mots will still died of heart disease, some cancers and pneumonia, etc.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

sorry, u can’t retire
    Social security is bankrupt
    U need minnimum of 5 million. Less than 2 % of population will ever have that. 98% will need to work till u die. So fuck off and keep working somewhere.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You keep working somewhere chief. I will retire with my no debt and a million in the bank. Keep feeding your financial adviser's beach house account. Oh, and fuck off.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I'll make 500k work so I won't have to deal with metrics, spreadsheets, ride alongs etc. Can't and don't want to last 20 years in this industry

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I’m 62 layed off Hear soon here my numbers

pension $1,450,000.00
    401k. $1,800,000.00
    Ira. $300,000.00
    Cash/invest. $350,000.00
    House net. $300,000.00
    Debt zero
    Ssi at 62. $23,000.00 yr
    Can I pull the plug

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

That may work in a place like Roy Moore's Alabama or some other 3rd world country southern state but it won't work elsewhere

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

How about you explain why that will not work outside of Alabama?

Zero debt, obviously been at Merck long enough to qualify for retiree health benefits until Medicare.
    What is so expensive outside of Alabama that you can't make? Propert tax? Not in a 300,000 home.

Hmmmm, I am just not seeing your issue with this person retirement plan.
    You could take just the pension benefits of 1.3 million, derive 60/70,000 annual income from that and never reduce the principal in 40 years if invested conservatively..

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You are spot on! I’ll be 63 in a few months. Not with Merck but saw this topic. With a small pharma co. Miserable. Met with my Fidelity guy. I have a total of about 1.8 mil in 401k and savings. No debt. About 400k of that is in cash savings account. Took heat for not putting it in a Roth etc. but now glad I didn’t.

He told me to tell my company to kiss off and retire. Do not draw your SS but draw from that $400 in savings and show zero income to qualify for lower healthcare for the next 2 years.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thanks been here 25 + having the free car from mother slowed me to invest what would have been car exspences plus I had 3 Merck relocations that I made money on. I’ve been lucky

Thanks for your thoughfull posting

Been here over 25 ye