Car Allowance or Co Car

Discussion in 'Genentech' started by anonymous, Sep 14, 2015 at 9:06 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Which one?

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I heard cars are pretty bad, Ford Focus and car allowance only $300.00 per month, Yikes!

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It's better than that.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Then what is it? Car choices? How much if you take the allowance?

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Take the allowance if you are smart. It's the best

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

800 miles at .57 = $457 per week or 1824 per month. If you can't buy a car and make money on that, you have a problem. That's not including the allowance.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thank you. Is that a more senior position reimbursement or is that the same across the board (per mile / allowance)?

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Across the board.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

People who think you make money on the car allowance are fools. Yes, you get to drive whatever you want and once it's paid for then, it is profitable. But the mileage reimbursement has to cover your insurance premiums and deductibles if you have an accident, repairs, maintenance, fuel, tires, and DEPRECIATION.

For god's sake people, the IRS sets the reimbursement rate, how stupid can you be? But hey if that helps you feel good about the allowance have at it. The fleet plan has been berry berry goot tome.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

What car choices do they give you?

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You are a fool. If you can't make money on $350 allowance and $1800 a month in milage, enough to pay for tires, insurance and depreciation, ($23,000 per year), you have lost your mind. Explain to me how you lose money? Insurance $800, Tires $1000, Depreciation $10000 fuel $3000 (30000 miles per year at 24 mpg and $2.25 per gallon) = $15000 approx. Thats $8000 left over. Also, this is being conservative, you could do better and most do. Don't forget at the end, you own the car. Buy a nice car coming off of a lease like a Lexus and you'll be happy you did.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The allowance is only good for those grandfathered in. The car choices are good, jeep Cherokee, audi, vw, yes there are ford options too.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I drive 45,000 miles a year and own outright a very nice high mileage and size SUV that is worth $12,000 as trade in based on a quote last month. I paid all gas, service, insurance and repairs with the mileage and $300/month (not grandfathered in) while paying it off in less than 3 years and having $ to put toward a second vehicle which I use on weekends. It can be done, there are many here who have done likewise, and are happy driving what they want. Don't rush into it, do your homework on vehicles.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Current options are Prius, Ford Fusion Hybrid, VW Jetta (which should change with VW scandal) Audi A3 (which will also probably change with the VW scandal)

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Presumably one already has auto insurance, with or without even working for Roche sothat cost does not even enter into the equation. So, if im getting $2000/month on mileage, +$300 per month allowance, thats 2300/month TAX FREE! TOTAL =$28,000/Year. I can buy my self a 3 year old used ford focus with 25,000 miles for 12K.

Again, insurance is a sunk costs, as I pay that whether or not I work for Roche, unless the company car is the only car in the family; which it is not for me. Of the $28,000/Year i make on the car my bills are as follows:

- Car payment after year 1 - $0
    - Annual fuel costs - $4,000
    - Maintenance/Tires/Etc - $500
    - Annual Set aside for major repairs - $500
    - Depreciation - the out of pocket expense for this is - $0
    -Deductable for auto accident. I have never been accidnet before, but lets assume I jhave one annually, the cost of the deductible would be - $250

So again, my dollars in for taking the allowance = $28,000/year TAX FREE!
    My potential costs for taking the allowance = $5,250.
    My annual profit on taking the allowance =$23,250 Annually.

In five years, that a profit of over$115,000 just for driving to work. Unless you work in a territory where you dont have to drive much, ie new york city, the allowance should be fairly-to-very profitable for you. If you dispute this, please give us your numbers that you are using to calculate, otherwise you have no argument.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Well since you did not include maintenance I guess your math can't really be trusted can it? Ever heard of an oil change, transmission service? IN addition to depreciation, all those miles mean additional maintenance, I guess you'd want some brakes too right dipshit. Idiot!

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

funny how people fudge on numbers to try and prove they are right. 2300 X 12 is a little shy of $28K, but hell it's only math. So you drive 48K miles a year and only spend $500 on tires and maintenance, that's just bullshit, you can barely buy a decent set of tires for that. Let alone oil changes, transmission service, and brakes. You do want brakes right dumbass?

Now here's the other point you idiots need to think about, while you're advertising your car profits, did it ever occur to you that if there is in fact an advantage to the car allowance that you're giving them the ammunition to eliminate it. Nice work putz.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Whatever tool head, apparently everyone is an expert. I'm on my 3rd vehicle allowance car (not a Mercedes or BMW) which I will own outright within the next year which is completely cost neutral to the point that I can cover the cost of a weekend ride. I replace tires almost annually at $1000 a set for top end Bridgestones, religously service it every 5000 miles and have driven these cars up to 200,000 miles while retaining a fair trade in value which is all equity.
    Enjoy your Focus when you drive 40-50 K a year, your ass will thank you

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Beware of the audit as well. They will screw you.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

if you record consistent mileage for various trips with your territory, you will be fine. Keep a daily log of mileage and all service receipts such as oil changes, that will show consistency in your driving/mileage.