Car allowance?

Discussion in 'Cafepharma Playground' started by beeeg, Mar 7, 2016 at 5:36 PM.

1. beeeg

beeeg new user

Hello all!

First time posting and just entering the medical device sales field. Does anyone have advice on what would be a good car for an outside sales role. I've been looking around and I saw some good ones. I have 500ish dollars a month to spend on a car(considering leasing). My territory is extremely metropolitan and not to large so I won't be driving long distances. Also any tips on getting cheap insurance for a younger person. Thanks in advanced.

2. Drug Dumper

Drug Dumper Well-Known Member

DO NOT LEASE!!! BIGGEST WASTE OF MONEY OUT THERE -- AND YOUR INSURANCE WILL BE HIGHER.

I hope I made my point. And don't get something flashy. Just get a basic car with some extras,because you will be spending a lot of time driving, even though you are not in a big territory. And when you get your insurance, tell them it is a weekend car only, less than 20 miles/week. Otherwise they're gonna jack your rates up. They aren't going to be checking your odometer.

Congratulations, I wish I had been able to get into device sales.

Oh, and good luck!

3. Vagitarian

Vagitarian Well-Known Member

Good comments but my auto insurance (Allstate) makes me submit a mileage form once a year so if others do that, it might make you a liar. Why not just be honest and say you don't know yet, it's your 1st car? Just a thought.

4. beeeg

beeeg new user

Thank you great advice!

5. Drug Dumper

I've been driving almost as many years as you, and I have never had to submit anything to car insurance. Even when I had a company car, I kept a car...that's when I found out I could simply state it's a pleasure auto and my rates went down. It's actually none of their business how many miles you drive every year. What if you took a cross country trip a few times? If they find out he's using the car for business, they're going to jack his rates. My motto has always been just KISS......

6. Vagitarian

Great. I'm thinking of switching companies anyway - but Allstate does do this.
    PS - doubt you've been driving as long as I have. I'm looking at AARP programs. But good luck :cool:

7. Drug Dumper

I said I've been driving ALMOST as long as you. I don't know how old you had to be in Kansas to get a license, but in SC we could get a permit at 14....not the case anymore, thank goodness! BTW, those AARP policies won't save you any money either.

We actually bundled the house and cars with State Farm and are saving almost $600/year from what we were paying with Safeco. We had been with Safeco for almost 10 years without a claim, and they decided to almost double the premiums. Screw them.

8. #8 Vagitarian, Mar 8, 2016 at 10:53 PM
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016 at 11:03 PM
    Vagitarian

DD, I made a mistake and thought the original poster said what you said - my bad. Thanks for the tip, I'll try State Farm. That's what I did, bundled hose and cars and was with them 20 years. A parking lot bumper car thingy almost doubled mine. I'm pissed. I'm shopping. My question is what to say to new potential insurer - have aaI had any accidents? Well, yes, one in a parking lot that caused $500 to each car. So after 20 years they raise me $700 every 6 months? I don't think so. Anyway, will call State Farm and let you know how it goes.

PS - got my permit at 14 too. When we were 15, we got a note from my buddy's mom that we were on an errand to buy her cigarettes and went to the Follies Theater (12th & Grand, KCMO) instead. The sign said 21 but we got in and those girls took off every stitch right before our very 15 yr old eyes. They knew exactly what they were doing too. Then we drove home and smoked a lot of those cigarettes we got for his mom - whew!
    I wasn't the same for a week. I think I hit the ceiling in the bathroom when I got home (and not with my hand either). I fell in love with the stripper - her name was 'Little Bit' and she had a tattoo of a cherry right by 'it' on her leg that said, "Here's mine, where's yours?" A few years later I told my mom about it. She laughed, "Son, every girl's got one." Ahhh, growing up - a sweet memory.

9. Breakingnews

Breakingnews Well-Known Member

DD gives great advice. Never ever lease - It is equal to throwing money out the window while speeding down the road at 80 mph.

10. Drug Dumper

I don't have a cherry tattoo....

Vagitarian likes this.
  11. Vagitarian

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: