Colgate, Oral B etc

Discussion in 'Dental Reps General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Jul 13, 2011 at 7:10 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I worked for Colgate Oral Pharmaceuticals (COP) for around 8 years, back in the 1990s. It was my first sales job out of college and I have to say that I loved it! Looking back, the base was not high, maybe 39k but with a company car, gas, 401K, and retirement plan. They take care of their employees, even if they move on to another job, they are often allowed to be hired back years later. You will not get rich but develop many amazing relationships with the office staff and docs. There are also opportunities to move into Hills Pet Nutrition if you would like to. A few people I worked with back in the day are still there and looking forward to a nice retirement in the near future. What others have stated about lay-offs and downsizing in Pharma companies or other medical device companies is true. Sometimes I wish I would have never left, although it did provide me with a great foundation for success and taught me how to think strategically and the value of building relationships. Great company!

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Hours worked and the # of customers you can see really depends on what area you are in and how much time you spend with them and how far it’s to the next visit.
    In a city like Baltimore, Washington or Philly & its Suburbs you might make 8-10 calls every 30 minutes with 10-20 minutes for travel time. Your also waiting in offices and some calls get canceled or get shorted or take longer. In the outskirts or country you may only be able to make 3-4 calls a day due to long in between driving distances.
    A lunch and learn appointment can take 45-60 minutes. There’s sales meetings and conventions taking your time also. Look to work fairly long hours if you commit to this industry. You have to do a lot of paperwork/ reporting.
    The reps I have seen work for Oralb or Colgate don’t last as long ( high turnover)as they used too

due to high demands of their companies and managers. You work longer hours and get less pay then you used too ... thats 10-20 years ago.
    You better be a hard worker to make it in this business.Good luck!
    Veteran rep... 40+ years.