College Grad - Advice please

Discussion in 'Northwest Reps' started by Anonymous, Jun 28, 2007 at 12:40 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I recently graduated with a degree in marketing and looking to get my foot in door. I have 6 years of retail sales experience in consumer electronics, and the past year as a sales manager. I know many look down upon retail, but I am not some Old Navy register clerk. I know that B2B sales are typically all that is considered "sales experience", but my company has a commercial B2B sector and the rep of the B2B sector of my store reports to me. Although I am not the one who goes out to field to make calls, I coach, mentor, and make sure B2B sector hits goals. What companies out there like to hire college grads, and what are my chances? I currently have the opportunity to be a GM of my own store with salaries similar to Pharm reps, but I dont want to work in RETAIL my whole life. I am in Washington, any advice would be great.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Pharmaceutical sales is not what it once was. I would stay where you are
    at. this career field is short lived as many dr's,hospitals, managed care and all
    the other bull shit make this job short lived.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

From what everyone saying, pharmaceutical sales is on a downward trend. But it has to be better than retail. What companies out there are hiring recent grads? What company in your opinion is the best to work for?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

dear recent grad-get a grip-you dont want to do this and have no idea what hell you are trying to get into-you wil be making the proverbial deal with the devil-pharm sales reps all wear the sad face-see that girl in the booth at panera at 8 am on mon crying-she is a pharma rep- see that guy sitting in the waiting room at the psych office-he is in pharma too and he is there for treatment not to sell his drug-get another diploma/ degree asap in something that is not generic like "marketing" or "business". big corporations are flush with cash but somehow they are figuring out ways to be in business without employees-have you seen the number of lay offs in pharma alone in the 3 years-i believe the number is upwards of 60,000. Sorry to break it to you like this and I am not suggesting you stay in retail but the flush job in corp america is on the downslide-try physical therapy-nursing-teaching-something in environmental science-dental hygenist-anything other than business and esp pharma-i hope this helps you-if you take my advice i really believe you will do well and your quality of life will be dramatically better than it would in pharma-the last thing i will say is that the career you pick needs to be specific and portable, eg you can take that job across the country etc. rules to live by-i wish someone had told me this many years ago. good luck

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Best advice..... Look for another industy. So much has changed in the last 5 years and now with Socialized Medicine taking over, its a dying industry..

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The hay days are over for Pharma Try software sales