Considering working for Medtronic..

Discussion in 'Medtronic' started by Anonymous, Feb 3, 2006 at 1:58 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

.. and had a few questions

I realise that sales reps work hard at Medtronic and targets are tough but is that more so than other device companies like Guidant or Cordis?

What kind of turnover do they experience?

Do reps leave very soon or is the kind of job you make a career out of?

Do people begin careers working at Medtronic or finish their careers with?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just read some posts on the board. It has all been said before.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

all i have seen is stuff around working hard (my first question)

Could you direct me to the posts you were referring to

also any new comments would be appreciated

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would pass up on the medtronic opportunity. If fact...go ahead and give me your recruiters name or the hiring managers name and I will tell them you aren't interested. You can email me at getaclue@dumbass.com

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Working hard doesn't really do justice for what we Medtronic employees go through. It's rediculous and they claim you will have a "work/life" balance. WHEN? I work 80+ hours a week and am making my numbers and beyond but it's NEVER good enough. I've seen President Club winners tossed aside if they have one bad quarter. They don't care about you as a person...they care about the $$ attached to your territory. The turnover rate in 05 was 66% and Medtronic is not a company people stay at for very long. The average tenure is 2 years and I've made it for one and am out of here! One President Club winner said it best when she said "I've spent 5 years of my life with Medtronic and lost 10!" I would encourage you to pass on the opportunity.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks! This is helpful.

Funny they seem to be looking for people with 3-5 years experience. And if you are saying that people stay for 2 years sounds like it's kind of a 'middle of the career' job? Is that true? Does the brand help you get a better job after that?

Also what % of compensation is variable?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    Working hard doesn't really do justice for what we Medtronic employees go through. It's rediculous and they claim you will have a "work/life" balance. WHEN? I work 80+ hours a week and am making my numbers and beyond but it's NEVER good enough. I've seen President Club winners tossed aside if they have one bad quarter. They don't care about you as a person...they care about the $$ attached to your territory. The turnover rate in 05 was 66% and Medtronic is not a company people stay at for very long. The average tenure is 2 years and I've made it for one and am out of here! One President Club winner said it best when she said "I've spent 5 years of my life with Medtronic and lost 10!" I would encourage you to pass on the opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am guessing you are in the diabetes division. Or you are just full of it. First off, you can't make Presidents Club after 1 year...it is a 2 year award. Second, turnover at Medtronic is less than 5% in the sales force. If you don't believe me, look at the company year end prospectus. I personally work in neuro. I can tell you that the average tenure of the reps here is 7 or 8 years. There are probably about 25% that have been here 15 years plus. In CRM, that number is greater. Fact is, a life-time sales rep is something to be rewarded at Medtronic, whereas most companies, after 15 years, you aren't in management, you are washed-up. But in an industry where relationships are key, these people are highly valued.

Again, this is the case across Medtronic, except for diabetes. I know very little about diabetes except that they have a churn them and burn them approach to the sales force. That is a shame, but definitly not the case across medtronic.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am guessing you are in the diabetes division. Or you are just full of it. First off, you can't make Presidents Club after 1 year...it is a 2 year award. Second, turnover at Medtronic is less than 5% in the sales force. If you don't believe me, look at the company year end prospectus. I personally work in neuro. I can tell you that the average tenure of the reps here is 7 or 8 years. There are probably about 25% that have been here 15 years plus. In CRM, that number is greater. Fact is, a life-time sales rep is something to be rewarded at Medtronic, whereas most companies, after 15 years, you aren't in management, you are washed-up. But in an industry where relationships are key, these people are highly valued.

Again, this is the case across Medtronic, except for diabetes. I know very little about diabetes except that they have a churn them and burn them approach to the sales force. That is a shame, but definitly not the case across medtronic.

[/ QUOTE ]

The above poster really does sound like diabetes division. It isn't as nice as the rest of Medtronic divisions. The turnover rate is exceptionally high and we are losing good reps and Presidents Club winners like the above poster said. I think all in all Medtronic is an amazing company to work for. The diabetes division is an entirely different story. I know a number of people looking to leave.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hear fucking hear[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Every division is different and every company is different. Medtronic is probably the best device company to work for. You are well respected and can honestly get rich working there. The pay is very good and the benefits and stock plans are wonderful. Turnover is not an issue in any division I know of, although diabetes might be different...I know nothing about those guys. I have been with MDT 3 years in spine...I know of almost no reps during my tenure that have left or been let go due to performance. If anything, we have expanded head count. I have reps from other device companies give me their cards on a daily basis wanting to get in with MDT. It is not easy unless there is an expansion, fact is, there are many lifetime sales reps and not a lot of openings.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does Jim Drum still work for Medtronic in CT? He started there I believe in 95. He was in cardiac div.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You "realise"? Learn to spell dumb-ass, and maybe a top company like MDT will look at you!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No spelling error is safe from the spell-checker-troll. Resurrecting a five year old thread for that? Sheesh....

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You'd have to be clueless to come to work for Medtronic right now. Medtronic is fully committed to, the lay off for profit cycle and there is no hope of this changing over the next five years.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Beats working for ADP

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Name a company that is NOT committed to doing what it takes to for profit. I would love to hear this one....

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Medtronic as a whole may be OK, yet diabetes is not. Making the bottom dollar is what it's about, no matter what. Yet, the crap we tell about family values along with accountability, objectivity, coach, rewards, attitude, loyalty, and integrity are nothing more than words thrown around to sound good. Unethical behavior is spread throughout, cutting back on patient training resources, chasing signatures on AOBs in hospitals, double shipping pumps, the list goes on and on. There are better places to work I know many who are happy elsewhere, just not here.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Never confuse working for Medtronic with working for Medtronic (MiniMed) Diabetes. Diabetes is woefully mismanaged, and loaded with 1st line managers that are more suited for the used car lot.

Medtronic (separate MiniMed Diabetes) is a very good company, with great benefits, that faces similar challenges that the entire health care market is experiencing.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Another thread brought back to life from 2006.