Coronavirus Discussion - Recon

Discussion in 'Med Device and COVID-19' started by anonymous, Apr 15, 2020 at 4:03 PM.

1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

With total joint replacements considered elective (with the exception for some trauma), what is your best guess when we will be returning to the field?

How are companies compensating/handling their sales reps during the down time?

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I think the big question not when it comes back, but when patients and surgeons feel comfortable being back in the hospital. You're still going to see a large amount of the age bracket for total joints being leary of going to the hospital or ASC. Also another factor from talking to the surgeons I work with (I am in Florida fyi) 75% of them feel if we go back to doing electives in the hospital before June it's a huge mistake. Maybe we will be doing more in ASC setting this summer, but I am expecting numbers to be down significantly this summer and fall from years past after that who knows.
    I am a independent agent with multiple lines, so company's are not doing anything for me. At the same time I would expect nothing from a big company if I was 1099. I chose to be independent for all the benefits I have saved my money, so that I could be fine for a couple years. I get paid for doing cases, so feel they have zero responsibility to pay me right now.
    I think a lot of people in sales typically because of their personality and maybe not being high on the intelligence scale spend it as fast as it comes in. I've always been conservative with my money that way if my family and I ever wanted just take off and travel the country or whatever the hell we chose to do we could do.
    My dad always told me "Rig the boat for the worst possible weather you could encounter, not the perfect days"

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

On one more note to the post above. I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but this is the most relaxed I have felt in a long time maybe if ever in this business. I've felt happier and a weight off my shoulders. Not having to constantly be wondering where my phone is if the hospital may call, are we missing instruments, dealing with hospital bureaucracy BS, figuring out case coverage etc....
    I May sound insensitive to a lot of other peoples situations, but being smart with my money and not buying a nice truck, boat, vacation home etc...have paid off.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

That's easy to say for us (I've been in the game for a while and also have been frugal), but I feel really bad for the reps who are younger and just starting out and don't have the same levels of savings/investments and also have student loans. They're in a tough spot.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I completely agree with that. I wasn't trying to sound ignorant to those less fortunate. I was actually just thinking that the other day how screwed I would have been if this happened right when I first started.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Good job guys!!!