Corporate has spoken....must hire diversity

Discussion in 'Pfizer' started by anonymous, Aug 13, 2015 at 10:14 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Here we go again.... This happens about every three years. Just watch who gets promoted over the next 12 months. Mark my words.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Are you kidding? This has been the Pfizer way for the past 10 years.

Ever try to get promoted in Institutional Sales? Look at the past 12 hires -all diverse friends of Tommy Boy.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Pfizer? Diversity? Thats funny. Scroll through the roster of KAMs, Account Managers, marketers, and district managers. Tell me how many Hispanics, blacks, or "open" LGBT you see there. If we have more than 4%, I will give away all of my Zyvox pens I've been stashing….

We do this every 3 years because we lose a massive lawsuit every 2-3 years. It hilarious that when TS or others keep promoting their former district cronies, no one raises a peep, even when we all know that they're his cronies. Let him hire or promote one Hispanic or black guy, and cafepharma explodes.

Bottom line is that we deserve our reputation of the bottom of the barrel of a sad industry.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

DAMN! They took down a fun post...back to boring!

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

They are touchy, touchy, touchy.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Let's be clear here, diversity includes the following, women and African Americans, thats it!! No hispanics, no Asians are ever considered. I was just at a town hall meeting where the upper leadership was all white, but they did have four African American mangers who are very qualified.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You're almost right. Diversity here means hiring and promoting WHITE WOMEN. There is a smattering of black managers, and almost no Hispanics or Asians. I did a stint at our 235 building back in the day, and (except for our shitty 2 person "multicultural department") I don't think that I came across more than 3 blacks, Hispanics, or Asians in all of marketing, sales opps, sales. Someone got any any names or initiations to prove me wrong?I came over with the PD acquisition. We were blown away by the complete ineptitude and arrogance of our Pfizer RM (this means you, Mr. Reichert), and the complete lack of diversity here. Except, of course, for white women.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Wow. What a bunch of whiny bigots!

Instead of being racist or genderist, have any of you ever considered the facts?

Calculate the number of asian, hispanic and white males who kicked ass at everything they do vs the number of black males who have even just graduated from a decent college.

The same goes for females in this country. The per capita differences are staggeringly noot in favor of the blacks. Very few blacks as compared to their own race kick ass academically as do the asians, jews, whites and hispanics.

so you have a glut of overqualified asians, whites and hispanics vs a dearth of even remotely qualified blacks.

Yet you get your pants in a wad because you don't see enough blacks in leadership positions? Do you even feel like a racist bigot when you cry about it? Imagine all of the overqualified other races who got screwed from getting the job just so you can feel better about yourself treating blacks better.

Racism and bigotry is evil even if you think it's justified.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Your argument is moot. Pfizer has a long and storied history of excluding blacks and Hispanic college graduates. If what you claim is fact, how could we possibly keep losing 7-figure lawsuits? Wouldn't frivolous cases be thrown out? We have at least one floor chock-full of attorneys….yet why do we keep losing these cases, only to start the "I guess we need to hire more colored people" cycle all over again?

Because people like you insist that, regardless of who he is up against, the very best candidates here are always white, straight men. In a way, I am glad that you articulated your views, because it proves that in 2015 we STILL have to force hiring managers and HR to at least LOOK AT someone other than the suburban white guy for each and every position.

====================================

Dr. S. Michael Gaddis, a Robert Wood Johnson Scholar in Health Policy Research at the University of Michigan and assistant professor of sociology at Pennsylvania State University researched how racial inequality in economic outcomes, particularly among the college educated, persists throughout U.S. society.

“The results show that although a credential from an elite university results in more employer responses for all candidates, Black candidates from elite universities only do as well as White candidates from less selective universities,” he explained.

“Moreover, race results in a double penalty: When employers respond to Black candidates, it is for jobs with lower starting salaries and lower prestige than those of White peers. These racial differences suggest that a bachelor’s degree, even one from an elite institution, cannot fully counteract the importance of race in the labor market. Thus, both discrimination and differences in human capital contribute to racial economic inequality.”

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

There is so little diversity that the company has to place an order for it like it's an appetizer on a menu.

And the fact that this happens every couple years is evidence of how entrenched the organizational resistance to hiring people of different races, cultures and orientations is at Pfizer.

Maybe, instead of bring upset about the call for more diversity, people should be upset about the NEED to call for diversity over and over again.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Precisely! We are indeed diverse, if you include white females in marketing, at the KAM spot, and mid-level management in sales and marketing. Other than that, we are at the bottom of the barrel.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Here is an idea. Why not hire the best candidate for the position, for the geography. Quit with diversity for diversity sake- we are sick about hearing about the gay lifestyles within our company or gay pride day and such.....just hire good, solid candidates who can think on their feet. ( Perhaps a rarity, and to you, perhaps an old fashioned idea.....that works.)

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

As far as racial diversity, that is fine to a degree as long as they are a fit to the geography...in house doesn't matter. Field rep position, it might matter a bit more. Again, what is wrong with hiring the most qualified applicant....unless your target is diversity with medocrity.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It was only a matter of time: once straight white guys see that the good ole boy/crony network is going to have a teeny bit of competition: BAM "why don't we hire the best candidate" is their mantra!

Bozo, we "hired the best candidates" for decades. But then, all we got was Southerners with the R gene, and that clown from Brooklyn T.G. and all of his cronies. And we got sued (successfully) so many times, that we had to create all kinds of phony baloney programs to make it look like we were diverse.

If left alone, we will go back to those days, days where we doled out millions of dollars. So, o return for having to continually pay out millions because of the obvious and overt discrimination, we have another bullshit diversity program.

Don't worry---after the dust settles, we will have the same number of minorities in marketing as we do now (are we up to 6 out of 430 people yet?).

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The race discussion can go for days without end with no resolution so it's hopeless discussing it here.

The question is when was there ever a time when the best qualified was hired for a position?

Blacks were barred from corporate America for decades after slavery until the 1970s and 1980s. Can anyone say that during that time when a whole race and women were kept out of positions that only the best were being hired? It's a lie. Talent was kept at an arms length in favor of men of the right race only. The competition was rigged so that only one race and gender would win.

Now, while dopes and talentless hacks were hired over and over again for generations because of the lack of color in their skin, we are supposed to believe that only the best person should be hired for the job AND we're supposed to believe that now isn't the time we aren't hiring the best and most talented.

Whatever...

Supposedly, if white guy after white guy got hired, there would be no problem with that. If the fit the territory. Only white guys can call on white doctors. Whatever... I guess you feel good when you hire a black rep to call on inner city docs. Makes you feel good. Jerk. That is jerk-like behavior, the very definition of it.

Whatever...too many racist managers I guess. No wonder the company is calling for diversity. Who will replace the racists? More racists? Hope not...

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

So you lament that Pfizer was once a great company, due too hiring the right and best candidates. Hmmm. Now you say we aren't, correlation? In the field it is a combination of the best candidate and the right fit for the territory, a very simple approach for the success of a business where diversity for diversity's sake is not the agenda. Sorry you can't see this simple rationale.

In the home office, make it a rainbow of diversity and nationalities- there are a separate universe and they can have all the meetings, organizations they want to appease the diversity crowd. Just remember, it is the sales force that earns your salaries. The right mix is important when it comes to territorial fit and customer acceptance. Sorry if you can't fathom that.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I think what you say is correct and no matter what, we cannot change the past. today, we can look at our executive leadership and see that a smattering of color is present in its smallest form. Our regional managers and above are highly represented by the caucasian race. What confuses me more though is as we hire more diverse candidates and promote from within, the lack of talent that is being promoted. We are promoting solely for the purpose of improving our numbers. That being said, the true talent that is out there cannot be hired by Pfizer because of our substandard salary and supposed bonus structure. Most good minority talent is being taken by companies that will stand up and pay for the talent. What confuses me even more is that when we do have cuts, Pfizer extends contracts to these diverse individuals ( read African American) to find work within in the company so Pfizer can maintain its numbers. How many contracts have been extended to White people who have been displaced? or other minorities?

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You people must work for a different Pfizer than I do. I can't think of more than 8 black or Hispanic managers that I've met here. Out of how many multiple of hundreds? And shoot us some names of 6 black or Hispanic marketing managers.

Before someone comes up with the standard reply #2 (when we were all white, we were great), I ask you to name these great ex-Pfizer senior managers, and tell us where they ended up after getting let go from here. Odds are, NO ONE OF ANY CONSEQUENCE WANTED THEM, and they ended up with either teeny-tiny "consulting firm", or working at Tojosuki Pharma, a small company that sells 2 psych products. None of the big boys (i.e. Merck, Sanofi, AZ, Novo, Lilly, Novartis) wanted our senior leadership. Our PRODUCTS were great, yes, but our PEOPLE? Please...

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

That very nice hick from Appalachia (Hank) and doofus Carl Wilbanks? Seriously??? OMG.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

White males have a much more difficult time getting promoted in Pfizer. Management will promote a minority or female over a white male every opportunity they get. White males can get promoted, but they are at a significant disadvantage depending on the applicant pool. It doesn't take long for anyone to figure this out.