Covidien Sports Surgery

Discussion in 'Arthrex' started by Anonymous, Oct 30, 2008 at 6:55 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hello, I'm about to interview for a position with Covidien's Sports Surgery division and I always like to get the perspective from a competitor. I realize your opinion may be biased but I was wondering if someone could give me an objective critique of their product line, what you've seen in the field, and what you've heard from your surgeons, and maybe the overall state of the sports med space?

I'm currently a device rep in an area outside of sports med with about 4 years exp. Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

where? I do not work for arthrex, but compete with them. i honestly do not or have not seen 1 covidien rep or product in my territory.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Covidien is the former United State Surgical Sports Medicine. Their anchors are "me too" and barely that. They have a nice device for side-to-side suturing of the Rotator Cuff, but it is rather large and tough to get in a shoulder for a closed repair. It also has a rather difficult "fuss" factor. Their meniscal repair stapler is probably their most unique product, yet they still have little to no market share after nearly 5 years on the market. If you're looking for a company that can play in the sports medicine marketplace then continue your search and try to land with one of the majors such as Arthrex, Smith+Nephew, Depuy Mitek, or Linvatec.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I left Covidien a couple of years ago (different division) and would not recommend going there. Corporate is a complete joke and they change quotas constantly. Lastly, they are tight asses on money and won't cover all expenses, car etc.

As for the sports medicine division, they are going to get CRUSHED in this market. Arthrex has the majority of the market along with Mitek and S&N. Stryker is trying to enter this market for the 4th time and they are not having any luck either.

I would look elsewhere if I were you.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OP here: Thanks for all your candid responses, this is what I kind of thought but it is good to hear from the field.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I left ortho a few months ago, but I saw this line being used in my territory. I don't know a lot about it, but I know of two clinics in my old territory that had switched to their acl system.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dont do it!!!!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ummm, wouldnt do it since they are shutting that mess down.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I work at Covidien SS, and everything stated above is true.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Didn't Covidien sell to Synthes??

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hi, this is a device which outperforms tightrope, and has no patent issues.

this is the video of the knot and how it works.

test results-

slippage of 0.16 mm after 1000 plus cycles. Tightrope slips about 2 mm as per their study.

Load to failure is 866 N after 2000 cycles , (at which the knot breaks) . Tightrope breaks at 876.

It easily outperforms tightrope both in graft protection and locking security.

Simple to make .

No patent infringement.

Here's the YouTube link.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QHCTpo_FGRQ

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

where is the button?