Critical Care Division?

Discussion in 'Edwards Life Sciences' started by Anonymous, Jan 23, 2008 at 5:59 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does anyone know anything about this division? I was contacted that they are expanding and are going to launch 2 new products. Any feedback on what it is like to work for this company, corporate culture, commission structure (what is a realistic pay out at plan?) etc. Thanks.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

sounds like a lot of exciting things going on at Edwards! i am interested to hear these answers too.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

anyone have the same info on ither depts too?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i know the heart valves are best in class. does anyone know what it is like to be in that department?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They are the market leaders in both heart valves and critical care products. However, both of these markets are very mature markets with very minimal growth. Very well respected in the marketplace by physicians, peers and hospitals.

For many years Edwards had the only pericardial heart valves, and its main competitor was medtronic who sells an inferior porcine valve at a lower price. Medtronic has maintained decent amount of marketshare due to their physician loyalty, company relationships, excellent reps, and good pricing and marketing strategies. Recently, St. Jude and Carbomedics released their pericardial valve and Medtronic just bought an equity stake in another.

Edwards will have a tough time the next few years. As the market leader they have held the highest price and won't consign their valves. The competition will widdle away at their business, and Edwards will lose market share because the competition is willing to consign.

Edwards sold their only double digit growth technology the LifeStent, so they will have low single digit growth for the next several years until percutaneous heart valves come out. The heart valve reps make 150 to 300 on average. The company has had increased turnover in recent years due to the turmoil in their heart valve division.

The critical care business is also a slow growth mature business. Those reps stick around for a long time generally but won't ever make the big bucks. The average rep their makes 100,00 to 200,000.

Wall Street will not tolerate single digit growth for very long. They are betting all their money on percutaneous heart valve but it won't be around until 2011 at the earliest, and there are also other companies working on percutaneous valves as well.

Hope this helps.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

excellent review! thank you
    who will sell the perc heat valves.. seems like a potential to make a lot of money with that

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

no one knows who will sell perc valves since they are so far away.

It will be a highly coveted job, however.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does anyone have more specific info on the Critical Care Division? I'm hearing the avg rep is making 180k? Why do rep's stay for so long? Is this going to change as they start focusing more on growth?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does this division sell the Vigileo monitor? How is that doing, the sales?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Any updates on the critical care division? Pay, products, pipeline, culture, call points?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

does anyone know what the interview process is? who is the director of sales? is the vp of sales involved? I have heard that the ave salary is $200K is this true

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Carlyn Solomon is best in class!

hes first class

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does anyone know if they are starting to hire reps for the perc valves?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i think they are hiring now. there are positions posted

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

what is the management like for the new valve group?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Crazy Manager in Crit Care Division

If you are looking to join the Crit Care Division in a territory that will be managed by the new N. Texas RM be very careful. He was just hired and he is terrible. He acts bipolar like Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde. He screams and yells at his team, spreads gossip by talking about his subordinates to other teammates, and he fires people for personal reasons versus performance reasons and then wants to act like his your best friend.

Time will show his true colors but hopefully Edwards will not tolerate his bad behavior. Evidently, his last employer did nothing to help the reps who worked for him even after several of them went to HR and let them know how the team was being treated. Of course, all of the people who went to HR eventually were fired or forced out by him. He sounds like a mess and it appears Edwards made a HUGE mistake hiring this guy. BEWARE N. TX Edwards Crit Care Reps.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Apparently you are a DB as he and his team just won Region of the Year. From what I hear, he is moving up quickly within Edwards and will run sales sooner than later.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

He didn't win region of the year based on his work, as he only recently started. Good luck many times is what occurs and this guy stepped in a newly created region at the right time.

Anyone looking at the CC division beware and be warned. They have been "laying off" a lot in the past year, mostly the experienced reps. Hiring younger reps. Expectations of these reps: be in the OR early (5:30-6a) to set up the devices sold with anesthesia techs, be there for multiple cases, follow patients to the ICU, then stay and inservice the night shift too. Typical day is 5a-10p at minimum. They have hired some "clinical" support but their training is not consistent and poor in most regions. Translated: if you want to sell and get it done right do it yourself. There are a couple of good clinical support people but unfortunately they let go of 1 or 2 of their most clinically talented reps in the past year. Couple of the best reps/support people that are really good were trained by them.

Supposedly they are "going to launch" a new item this year, but that same product has been in development for over 5 years. Its going to be a difficult sell and definitely a conceptual (translated--uphill battle) sale. I would be shocked if it is ready for market in 2012.

Expect to sell to old products that have had difficult market penetration: FloTrac and Presep. Again, selling in the OR primarily with the hours i described if you expect to make $150K or greater.

If you are a top rep making >$130K now I would look elsewhere. You can make more money and have a better quality of life than here.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can anyone discribe the "clinical support role" mentioned above?

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The clinical support role, is like any. They hire RNs and expect them to be experts in the products. Mostly critical care RNs. Right now they are part of sales division answering to regional sales managers. There is a pretty wide range in how good they are, like any device company.