Dear Dr. Dave...

Discussion in 'Ask Dr. Dave' started by Anonymous, Nov 16, 2007 at 5:27 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

With the recent wishy~washy black box warning that the FDA just slapped on Avandia®, I was hoping to tap into your thoughts as a practicing primary care physician on how this might affect your prescribing patterns. This is now the third (and most serious) black box warning for this once magnificent drug. The FDA voted 8 - 7 in keeping it on the market as opposed to pulling it all together by a very slim margin.

Now that there is so much heat on Avandia®, GSK looks like they are trying to "spin it" by stating that the other TZD on the market, Actos®, is no safer and that they will immediately start a head-to-head study comparing the two drugs straight up. Just so we are all clear, the new black box warning for Avandia® states: "this drug may cause a heart attack". I think GSK might be playing dirty pool by obviously going with the old "If I go, You are going with Me" type attitude. Do you think GSK is really trying to say that there is a Class Effect amongst the TZDs (something they never would have thought of publicly suggesting before, when they had the county fair's prize pig year after year)?

And to be fair in this whole ugly mess, Takeda's Actos® also has two black box warnings dealing with dangerous side effects.

The two type II diabetic drugs combined pulled in a record setting 6 Billion Dollars in the USA alone in 1996. That is about the same number of dollars that Vioxx® and Celebrex® were registering in 2003 and 2004 (Vioxx® was voluntarily withdrawn from the market on September 28, 2004).

This is almost exactly what Merck was doing in covering-up the early Vioxx® precautions and warnings:
    (for the full Wall Street Journal article)
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119524107384696003.html?mod=yahoo_hs&ru=yahoo

"Over a period of several years, drug maker GSK was so concerned about a prominent physician's negative views of its diabetes drug that it engaged in a concerted effort to intimidate him and stifle his opinion, a report by the U.S. Senate Finance Committee found."

This looks like it could bring about a dangerous "hand slapping" from the FDA and provide enough anger for them to look closely at Actos® safety data!
    (for the full AP Washington DC article)
    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071115/takeda_diabetes_ads.html?.v=1

"The ads from Japan's largest drug company, which will run Friday, November 16th in 82 U.S. newspapers, will read:

'Actos® has been shown to lower blood sugar without increasing your risk of having a heart attack or stroke.'

The language walks a careful line between what FDA says is -- and isn't -- known about the comparative safety of diabetes drugs".

Dr. Dave, what I am asking from you personally is the following:
    • I am sure that you correspond with former medical school classmates and other local physicians in your (albeit small) community...What feedback are you hearing from them in regards to all of this controversy surrounding the TZDs in 2007?
    • Would you mind asking a few of them, before responding?
    • Do you now hesitate in writing a prescription for either Avandia® or Actos® for your type II diabetic patients?
    • Are any of your patients asking about Avandia® or Actos®, since they both have been in the news so much?
    I realize this feedback will be from a small group, but it should be random enough to at least get a pulse of current mindset and prescribing behavior.

:):)[size=+3]Thank you Dr. Dave for being here for us as a resource![/size] :):)

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"The two type II diabetic drugs combined pulled in a record setting 6 Billion Dollars in the USA alone in 1996." As neither one of these drugs was commercially available until 1999; I wonder, How did they made 6 billion dollars. You must work for CBS where the news is made up to fit the story!! good try bucko!!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey, thanks for the catch. My bad - I think I had a brain fart by typing 1996 rathen than 2006! :p

I fixed the date in the attached quote.

Thanks again for making the catch so Dr. Dave can have all the facts first hand, before responding...

4. DrDave

DrDave Member

Thanks for your question. I hope what follows is helpful to you.

In a nutshell, I would consider prescribing Actos but not Avandia as of this time. In late 2005 after the publication of the PROactive, my TZD new starts were pretty much all Actos.

I do have "class effect" concerns when negative safety data arises, but I am not a believer in using the class effect argument when it comes to morbidity and mortality benefits (IE, efficacy). At this juncture, though clearly increasing the risk of CHF (at least in certain populations), Actos was shown to decrease overall mortality, MI and stroke according to the meta-analysis that appeared in JAMA on 9/12/07.

That said, I am anxious to see a head to head trial between Avandia and Actos (although it would be better if some entity besides GSK or Takeda funded the trial).

Re: your specific questions:

Generally speaking, they are frustrated with the extra work this generates in terms of patient questions, changing prescriptions, etc. Unfortunately, I'm not sure the majority of them are making the connection that this is a risk you take when you prescribe ANY drug that does not have strong morbidity or mortality. They write fewer TZDs overall, but it's a little heterogenous regarding how much of the discomfort extends to Actos.

Yes. I don't write Avandia, and I hesitate to to write Actos for anyone who gives me even a hint of concern re: fluid retention or shortness of breath. I don't write it for anyone with a CHF history.

Lots of Avandia questions, not many Actos questions.

You may want to check out this thread also: TZD class effect.

Thanks again for your question and information!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dr. Dave,

You have a pretty sharp eye or an excellent memory (or both), because I am the OP of this thread and I was also the OP of that other thread that you pointed to way back in July - Before Avandia® really showed its true colors.

Thanks again for your incite.

I'll wager you a 5 dollar bill that both Actos® and Avandia® get pulled by the FDA before next Summer 2008. How 'bout it? :)

I think the FDA will indeed group them both as falling into the Class Effect category along with that other TZD: Rezulin®, from days gone by.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Rezulin was pulled for liver issues - completely different issue. So no, the would not be lumped in with Rezulin and pulled from a class effect.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Uhhh...I don't think you are Dr. Dave responding here.

And you are wrong about the Class Effect of lumping all three drugs together after both Avandia® and Actos® are pulled by the FDA. You were right about the one reason that Rezulin® was pulled, but that did not mean that it also had the capability of causing other end organ problems such as those effecting the heart and kidneys.

Let history show for the record that all of the TZDs will be looked back upon as terrible drugs that ended up with record breaking lawsuits (that will make the Vioxx® debaucle look pale in comparison). When companies hide data, change data and pressure/threaten doctors who are part of investigation teams - they open themselves up to huge fines and penalties.

What the FDA needs to stop doing is levying such huge multimillion dollar settlements and instead place people in prison for such wrong doings. I guarantee the fraudelent activity would come to a screeching hault.

Landmark cases that should have equated to prison time:

Phen-phen®...estimate 8 -10 Billion Dollar Settlement...American Home Products (now Wyeth)
    Lupron® False Marketing/Medicaid fraud...875 Million Dollar fine...TAP (Takeda and Abbott Labs Partnership)
    Oxycontin® Fraud in denouncing potential of addiction...634.5 Million Dollar fine to the top 3 executives (Purdue Pharma) More to come via Class Action Lawsuits
    Vioxx®...4.85 Billion Dollar Class Action Settlement Merck (knowingly hid data) More to come via Class Action Lawsuits

In fact both Avandia® and Actos® are presently being investigated for possible Cancer causation of the Liver...Stay tuned for that little discovery to be announced before year's end.

8. DrDave

DrDave Member

I take your point about Rezulin, but I tend to agree with the perspective that Rezulin's liver side effects distinguish it from the other two TZDs, much like the frequency of rhabdomyolysis side effects distinguished Baycol from the other statin drugs.

Unless, of course, the liver cancer data evolves as you suggest it might. I'll keep an ear out.

I know I sound like I'm playing devil's advocate and/or have some sort of personal interest in Actos (I don't), but the difference between Actos and all the other drugs you cite is Actos is the only one that ever had any data to suggest decreased risk of all cause mortality in any population over any period of time (I think I have that right based on the JAMA meta-analysis - correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have the article in front of me).

As for your $5 bet...frankly, I think it depends on how the liver cancer risk you cite plays out. At the risk of sounding cynical, "liver damage" and "cancer" are terms that incite a response from the media and the public, which probably has some FDA influence. Consequently, I'm going to request extra time to make the bet, as it appears you've seen a card I haven't seen yet.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dr. Dave,

So let me get this straight...There have been 3 TZD Class drugs approved by the FDA since 1997 and 1 of those three (Rezulin®) was promptly pulled in 2000 because of damage to the liver. In the interim, Avandia® and Actos® came on to the type II diabetic scene in a big time way with gigantic revenue for their individual companies. Fast forward to present day (November 23, 2007) and Actos® now has two black box warnings and Avandia® has three. Hmmmmm? Sounds a little too close for comfort to just casually throw out the idea that there probably is a class effect in play here.

Dr. Dave, had Rezulin® not been so quickly withdrawn from the market back in 2000, do you think that it might have also had the cadiac problems that both Actos and Avandia are displaying?

Dr. Dave, As you probably are aware, Cafepharma has advertisements on their website in addition to very helpful "in the news" topics concerning the pharmaceutical world. And just today, there is an article posted on the right hand side of this webpage titled: "Lawmakers Warn Drug Makers To Knock It Off After Avandia® Debacle - Part II"
    http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/articles/01604/avandia-debacles.html

The article is very good and a worthwhile read about the FDA cracking down harder on potentially problematic drugs. But what I found really interesting was this little gem at the bottom of the article itself:

Avandia Legal Help
    If you or a family member have used Avandia and have suffered heart attack or liver damage after taking Avandia, please contact a lawyer involved in a possible [Avandia Lawsuit] who will review your case at no cost or obligation.

I certainly do not want to be accused of "making this stuff up", so I ask you to open this attached link and see for yourself...Why would law firm be gathering potential clients in what looks to be a forthcoming lawsuit against GlaxoSmithKline in regards to both cardiac and/or liver damage?
    https://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/submit_form.html?label=avandia-heart-attack&ref=article1604

One more question for you before I log off, Dr. Dave. If a particular drug has two black box warnings (forget three), why would you prescribe it ever again?
    I know the "canned answer" of the benefits still outweigh the risks, but are there not other choices that a physician can make - Just to be on the safe side, especially with all this controversy and questions hovering around TZDs in general?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dave,

I think some paralegal is going on a fishing expedition.

11. DrDave

DrDave Member

You raise very good questions, and you have obviously thought about this a great deal as well as researched it. I appreciate your insights and the links you have provided.

I take your point about the black box warnings. TZDs may very well turn out to be the debacle suggested in this thread. Rezulin may have indeed been shown to cause cardiovascular events had it been followed long enough. Once again, IMHO, the distinguishing data for Actos is the POSSIBLE mortality risk reduction. It is possible that Actos may prove in the end to benefit certain patient types.

However, in the end, I infer that we are philosophically close in our views regarding the need to demonstrate hard patient oriented outcomes benefits (live longer, feel better, or both) rather than marketing and prescribing based on intermediate evidence such as HA1C lowering. Does it matter if your HA1C was 6.5 when the drug you were taking caused you to have your MI? Probably not.

Diabetes treatment is challenging. Even metformin (the cornerstone of type II DM hypoglycemic treatment) has a black box warning for lactic acidosis, and glyburide has a special warning re: cardiovascular mortality. Newer drugs are expensive and, as we've seen with Avandia, serious side effects may not come to light for years. And patients hate needles, lifestyle changes and dieting.

My approach to type II DM has therefore evolved to be less about sugar control and more about overall risk reduction. Does the pt smoke? Are they on simvastatin? Is the blood pressure controlled? Are they taking a baby aspirin a day? I don't ignore A1C, but I fret less about modest elevations in numbers and more about the big picture of overall risk. I hope that this reduces the pt's overall risk as well as the likelihood that I'll prescribe something new, expensive and dangerous for the sake of lowering a number.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dr. Dave, OP here and wondering if you are ready to continue on with our little wager?

Have you seen the most recent news involving Actos®, in that it has the exact same dangerous potential as Avandia®...

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Bloomberg

Takeda's Actos Has Same Heart Risks as Glaxo's Avandia, Researchers Find
    By Kanoko Matsuyama - Aug 24, 2010 3:00 PM CT

Takeda Pharmaceutical Co.’s best- selling diabetes drug Actos causes as many heart problems as Avandia, the GlaxoSmithKline Plc pill whose sales fell after it was linked to higher heart-disease rates, a study found.

Avandia generated $3.3 billion in the year before a 2007 study showed a 43 percent higher chance of heart attacks and helped Actos become the market leader. Patients taking either Avandia or Actos increased the risk of heart attacks, heart failure or death by 4 percent, according to the study published today in the American Heart Association journal, Circulation.

U.S. regulators are reviewing whether Avandia, which comes under the same class of treatment as Actos, should be taken off market after a panel advised July 14 that new warnings about heart risks be added to its prescribing information. The latest study, the first to compare the two drugs directly, suggests the risks are tied to that category of medicines, said Jenny Gunton, an endocrinologist at the Garvan Institute of Medical Research.

“It just maybe increases the worry of using either of the drugs,” Gunton, who wasn’t involved in the study, said in a telephone interview from Sydney. A rate of 4 percent is “pretty high” given the short study period, she said.

The study involved more than 36,000 diabetes patients with an average age of 54 years and took place over 33 months, including 14 months of treatment on either medication. Among the patients, 602 who took Avandia and 599 Actos users suffered either a heart attack or heart failure or both, or they died, the study showed. The tally included 217 deaths in each group.

Sedentary Lifestyles

About 23.6 million Americans have diabetes, mostly the Type 2 variety linked to being overweight and sedentary, according to the National Institutes of Health. The disease is characterized by the body’s inability to use insulin to break down blood sugar for energy. The illness increases the risk of heart disease, stroke and kidney damage. Avandia and Actos work by increasing the body’s sensitivity to insulin.

Glaxo fell 27.5 pence, or 2.2 percent, to 1,200 pence as of 4:35 p.m. in London trading. Takeda gained 0.3 percent to 3,915 yen on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

Avandia generated sales of $1.1 billion last year for Glaxo, the U.K.’s biggest drugmaker. The London-based company said last month it would record a 1.57 billion-pound ($2.4 billion) charge in the second quarter to settle cases including claims that Avandia led to heart attacks, adding to 2.3 billion pounds it previously set aside for legal costs.

The Avandia study in 2007 was an analysis of data from 42 studies involving 15,560 patients who took the drug and 12,283 people who were given other medications or a placebo. Patients on Avandia were 64 percent more likely to die from cardiovascular causes, though those findings could have resulted from chance, researchers in that study said.

Actos had sales of 384.7 billion yen ($4.6 billion) in the year ended March 31. The drug halted progression of heart disease in diabetics, a 2008 study funded by the company showed.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This "study" was a retrospective chart review....not exactly science as seen in over 120,000 previous patients on pioglitazone who had no elevated risk in MACE. Check your data...and turn off the TV.

15. DrDave

DrDave Member

Interesting, and certainly thought provoking that there was no difference between the two.

My questions/comments would be:

1) It is difficult to interpret these statistics since I don't have a sense of what the 1 year mortality/cardiovascular risk is in a 54 year old diabetic. I tried to pin this "background risk" number down but had trouble finding it. Does anybody know?

2) Compared to earlier studies, we probably choose TZD patients differently now. This data could mean the Avandia patients were chosen more carefully rather than Actos being just as risky. Retrospective data is hard to interpret.

3) It is my personal belief that what we're going to find out ultimately is that regimens that do not cause hypoglycemia are going to be GENERALLY safer than those that do. Since it was a retrospective study, I would be curious to know what the risk was for patients on sulfonyureas and/or insulin. If it was lower than those on TZDs, this data would be very compelling to me.

Thanks again for posting. I'll set a $5 bill aside just in case!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi DD,

I am the original poster and just checked back in to see if any updates had been made to this thread...

That said, I am curious to know if you have been following the most recent news regarding Takeda's Actos? Particularly the German and French Governments banning Actos due to Actos causing Cancer of the Kidneys.

Remember when I suggested the "cancer" thing about 3 years ago?

Hope you are doing well.

By the way, where's my 5 dollars. LOL

17. DrDave

DrDave Member

Re: Actos

Hi, OP! Thanks for bumping this thread - timely indeed.

The action in France certainly concerns me. The comments that follow are not intended to defend Actos, or even to play devil's advocate, but rather to highlight one of the greatest problems regarding disease oriented (as opposed to patient oriented) data, marketing and how physicians use the two to guide their prescribing. The following quoted text is copyrighted by me, but you can reprint it on this thread if you wish.

“Ideally, prescribing would be driven by absolute proof that, across a specific, easily identifiable population, a specific intervention allows the populace to live longer and/or happier moreso than not intervening. If two interventions are equivalent in that regard, then the driving force would be side effects (tolerability), price, or lastly schedule. This doesn't mean a "good" drug doesn't hurt certain individuals within that population. The best that we can do with offering any intervention is know that, on average, we're more likely to help than to harm AND disclose the risk of harm vs. the chance of benefit accurately and comprehensibly to the patient, thus allowing them to make a truly informed decision.

Unfortunately, physicians largely do not take this approach to their prescribing. Instead, they are easily manipulated by disease oriented data. Regardless of what you may think about currently available evidence, there is no argument that in the 1990s Lipitor was prescribed before any actual patient oriented outcomes were available showing that Lipitor reduced heart attacks or strokes. Lipitor clearly lowered cholesterol, and it seemed to lower it better than Zocor or Pravachol. Since many doctors incredibly assumed that lowering cholesterol was the only change that mattered in an organism that has countless biochemical processes, both known and unknown, going on every second simultaneously, they chose Lipitor over drugs (Zocor and Pravachol) that had proven morbidity and/or mortality at the time.

Doctors are greatly influenced by disease oriented marketing focused on short term, measurable results like LDL lowering, blood pressure lowering or HA1C lowering. All of these markers are associated with outcomes, but changing the marker with a specific intervention doesn’t necessarily improve outcomes. The intervention may have unintended consequences beyond the changing of the marker. Consequently, the best studies are long-term, prospective controlled trials that demonstrate within a specific, easily identifiable population, people generally live longer and better (or not) after an intervention.

Also, doctors, patients and regulatory agencies are easily provoked to hysteria with rare but serious side effects. I’m not saying rare side effects shouldn’t be considered, but they should be considered rationally. If I diagnose an ear infection, there is a small but measurable chance that I will cause diarrhea, rash or even anaphylactic shock by giving antibiotics and a roughly 9% chance that I will change the outcome of the illness (most ear infections are viral). I’m not saying that giving antibiotics for ear infection under appropriate circumstances is wrong, but rather, for whatever the reason, we culturally ignore the risk of harm and roll the dice on benefit. In other disease states, we ignore proven benefits and dwell on small risk of harm. Both are inappropriate.

In a perfect world, drugs would be brought to market with proven, measurable outcomes (living longer/better) and well-defined risk of harm. Then, doctors would present the drug to the patient and, based on evidence, allow the patient to choose. Unfortunately, data like this is very limited. Pharmaceutical companies know that physicians do not demand this type of data to change their prescribing habits, so, most of the time, they don’t spend the money to provide it. This is not a pharma problem; this is a physician problem.

The end result is that the data available to us is often very, very difficult to sort out and use as prescribing guidance. Actos is a perfect example. Does it lower HA1C? Yes, but that’s a marker, not an outcome. Does it cause hypoglycemia? Not really, which is good. Does it seem to reduce the risk of CV events in CERTAIN people? Yes, based on PROactive and the 2007 meta-analysis. However, these patients have to be chosen with great care, because in the wrong people, it can ironically cause congestive heart failure. Does it very slightly increase the risk of bladder cancer? Probably, much in the same way that statins very slightly increase the risk of liver failure. Based on this body of evidence, are different doctors going to have different opinions regarding its use? I can’t imagine otherwise.”

How’s that for a rambling, ambiguous answer? :) Re: my personal prescribing habits, I use much less Actos now than when you started this thread. I tend to prefer Januvia and Victoza as second line options behind metformin due to tolerability and, to a certain extent, safety issues. But are they perfect? No. Are some doctors going to disagree with my algorithm? You bet.

Speaking of bets…as you may recall, the bet was that Actos would be pulled by 2008, so technically you owe me $5. However, I’ll go double or nothing that it will still be available January 1, 2013, regardless of whether it is clearly a good or bad choice for treatment.

Thanks for checking back!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OP here...

Just an update for you Dr. Dave.

Takeda laid off 700 folks this past week --- And that # will be far greater by the end of this year as Actos goes generic and the "pending" lawsuits begin their ugly journey.

Hope you are doing well.

ps. As we speak, Takeda is having their annual National Sales Meeting in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand Hotel. They have booked a band called "Maroon 5" as opening night entertainment for the remaining company employees - It cost them 1.5 Million Dollars for the 45 minute show (yes you read that correctly). Any thoughts about that?

19. DrDave

DrDave Member

Hi, OP -

I understand that AZ laid off roughly 25% of its force this past month, too. Definitely a trend these days. I think the overall threatening nature of the climate in pharma right now has affected the demeanors of many reps I see.

Do you think someone made the argument to spend more lavishly on a launch meeting to pump up the remaining reps while citing the savings on the cuts as a resource to fund it? I could envision someone at an executive level crunching the numbers and not considering that many might find it offensive that they hired a band for 45 minutes for an amount that could have employed 5 or more reps for another year. If one of my close friends had been laid off and I remained, I can't imagine the show would be much fun either.

I've always wondered if there is any concrete marketing data behind the festive launch meeting. Do reps truly sell better - more enthusiastically, I guess? - based on a real metric (e.g., rx #s) after one of these launches?

Back to your original post, now over 4 years ago - are you surprised that Actos may very well ride out its patent without getting pulled?

I am doing well, thanks for asking. I hope you are hanging in there. All the best!

(Aside - If I had $1.5 milion to spend on a 45 minute set, I don't think I'd choose Maroon 5. Stones, maybe. Then again, Maroon 5's lead singer does claim to have the moves like Jagger.)

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The booking of the band Maroon 5 turned out to be a rumor perpetuated here, most likely by helped out by the 700 people who were abruptly let go.