Dear Dr. Dave...

Discussion in 'Ask Dr. Dave' started by Anonymous, Nov 16, 2007 at 5:27 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow this Januvia rep, errr I mean OP really has an ax to grind. Taking the Maroon 5 rumor to new heights is unbelievable. Dr. Dave, I remember checking on this thread in years past and remembered wishing more physicians absorbed evidence based medicine to the level you seem to show. Diabetes rates continue to skyrocket, making it unique in all metabolic disorders in the US. Having as many options as possible seems to be key in tackling this disease with any success. Tho I wish you stayed with treating insulin resistance earlier in the race against time, I get the backlash you may face in your patient rooms on a daily basis. Thanks for taking the time to share an unvarnished perspective on medicine with us reps, thanks for recognizing absolute risk for what it is, and thanks for not letting edgy reps like the OP get under your skin.

2. DrDave

DrDave Member

Thanks for pointing out that there was no verification that Maroon 5 performed for Takeda. I don't routinely look at other CP boards, but after your post I quickly scanned the referable Takeda board thread. I got the sense that no one produced any evidence that the band ever played. There were also other versions of the story - Maroon 5 was booked at one point but Takeda cancelled, Takeda lost $750K for cancelling, etc. Nevertheless, do you have any thoughts re: whether the "big sales meeting" really does translate into sales?

I appreciate your complimentary words. Just to clarify, I do have a low threshold to initiate metformin very early. It is cheap, has a low risk of hypoglycemia, and based on the UKPDS seems to have a morbidity benefit in a lot of patients.

Thanks for posting!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think sales meetings are more a way to efficiently disseminate training materials, and in situations like ours, boost some moral and enjoy some camaraderie. Not working in an office setting can create a distance between ourselves and our co-workers. Having annual meetings like this may help to bridge that gap. BTW Takeda has never had or paid for anyone remotely famous at a sales meeting in the 9 years I have been there.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OP here,

Yes it is true, Maroon 5 was indeed canceled and Takeda did forfeit 750k.

To answer your question, Dr. Dave (in my humble opinion), the "big national sales" meetings are dinosaur type thinking in terms of "what's good/effective for both motivating the troops and driving sales initiatives. It is a broken model that no one seems to have the guts to change.

By the way, I am not an ex-Takeda rep, nor am I a disgruntled "Januvia" person.

ps. Where do we stand on our bet? I think I might be the one owing you $5

5. DrDave

DrDave Member

Thanks for posting, OP!

I don't want to infer to much from your using the word "dinosaur," but I can see how the festive, extravagant "Big Sales Meeting" possibly USED to work in a different marketing culture - wide open physician access, gift culture, no PhRMA code, minimal formulary battles, etc - IE, pre-2001 or so. Whipping the sales force into an enthusiastic frenzy may have translated into sales. Times have changed, though, and I, too, find it hard to believe that this works now.

Not that I've done an exhaustive web search, but the only references I found to Takeda's booking Maroon 5 were on CP. I ask only out of curiosity - is there a third party independent source that has confirmed the booking/cancelling?

As for our betting history:

2007 - OP:
    2011 - Dr. Dave:
    Your call on whether to let it ride! :)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest