Dentsply North America Explodes from within

Discussion in 'Dentsply' started by Anonymous, Dec 5, 2013 at 5:00 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

when dentsply talks about hiring more diverse people, let’s start at the top and hire some people that aren’t thieves. That would make us more diverse.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Or at least hire some people that give a shit about the well being of their employees, or care to try and develop them in meaningful ways. Instead, we get fake development that provides no real job skills for the future.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

A recruiter called me about two opportunities here. I don’t know anyone that works in the dental market and my dentist said the company has good products but very expensive. He doesn’t know his dentsply rep but referred me to his Schein rep. He wasn’t much help. Can any give me an idea of the culture? Do reps generally make there bonus? Recruiter said 70-80 base with 40k bonus is realistic. Is that true? What are the biggest challenges to selling cerec and cam? Sorry if my lack of knowledge is apparent. My dentist doesn’t own these pieces of equipment and said he isn’t friendly with any dentists that own them. Any help would be appreciated? I am trying to prepare for my interview. Much thanks for honest responses.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Your mileage may vary. following are strictly my own opinions.

Not surprising the Schein rep had little insight as they're not known for selling Sirona Cad Cam (Cerec). If the position is for Cerec, I'd say the comp plan is probably accurate. Depending on who you ask, Cerec is still the leader in this arena and was definitely first to market. IMO, it remains the gold standard by which other manufacturers are measured. Up until 2 years ago, this product was offered exclusively through one dealer (Patterson) but has since been opened up to Schein as well. Depending on the geographic market, there are likely a lot of opportunities to get in front of interested prospects by leveraging both dealers' relationships. It's not an easy sale as your dentist said Dentsply Sirona is constantly battling "me too" competitors who go to market at a lower price point. Your dentist (like most) is likely an opinionated cheap ass who hasn't seriously evaluated the technology but instead poo poo's it as overpriced rather than exploring the clinical benefits for his patients. Get used to that concept if seriously considering a career in dental tech sales.

As for culture, I'd say DS has undergone a pretty significant switch in the past year. Since being acquired by Dentsply, there are now significantly more reps with even more on the way. Increased coverage with smaller territories has been sold to the faithful as a net no change or better in opportunity / income potential. Company cars and expenses are part of the change. All the tech sales guys (Schick, Cerec, cone beam) are hoping they're not reduced to the likes of the restorative, endo, handpiece, etc. reps. Only time will tell. It's probably a decent opportunity to get in and learn the dental space working for a very large player. My gut tells me these jobs will experience some turnover in the short term until DS finds it's footing again. Get in before DS World and you can see Katie Perry. Lol.

Final note - pay particular attention to SEC investigation surrounding $2B in impairment charges following the merger. I don't think we've seen the full brunt of this yet. Best of luck.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I’d watch out. The company has announced to its employees that a major restructuring will be happening before the end of the year. Who knows what that will bring.
    I would recommend against it if you are looking for stability. Ever since dentsply and sirona merged, it’s been a shit show. Moral is low, expectations are high, and management is clueless.
    Good luck to you

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thanks for the feedback. I’m not at the greatest place now. What would make DS better? It would be nice to compare and contrast my current situation versus this one. Morale is low where I am and compensation is getting worse. Customers are flooding to a competitor due to pharmacy coverage and many sales reps have left for the competitor.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Here’s my 2 cents. Dentsply is in a complete tailspin. Look at stock price. 5 year low. Consumables are completely in a free fall. Implants and endo are just floundering. Leadership has zero clue in these divisions. It’s sad, good products but zero pulse on what market wants. They fly KOLS to these all expense paid trips to tell them how great they are and wonder what is happening? Here’s a tip, if you pay people to talk about your products handsomely, do you expect constructive feedback??? Definitely not when johnnie walker blue is being poured like water. Siroworld is gonna be a disaster. Technology is old and antiquated. Good luck in your process

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

How can one person say equipment is the best and another post state it is old and antiquated? DS has great equipment but hard to sell at the price point especially since dealers are shopping other manufacturers.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

dealers + dentsply = price fixing

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It is a total buyers market and wall street hates the declining margins from all the idiotic pricing decisions. This sector is quicksand and the warning signs are clear to anyone gifted with 12 or more brain cells from their cousin/mother that a shakeout is coming.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Haha true. Wait til KC gives Schein a godfather deal.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Can’t believe that guy is still here!
    How many of our leaders got shown the door...yet he’s still here?? Crazy town

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

that is really funny

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Dentsply has started selling direct on all consumables in some countries. It seems this could be the way they may be going in the US to cut out dealers. Any accuracy to this?

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I certainly hope so.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Doing so would only.cut their own throat. Losing the dealer base and warehouses and Salesforce that's significantly larger than dentsplys.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

DENTSPLY already cut its own throat. No dealers needed.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No shit. I feel sorry for the long term employees who listened to the corporate Pom Pom cheer squad and have lost significant chunks of their retirement.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

does anyone believe that the same board of directors that got us into this mess will be the ones to get us out?