Depressed

Discussion in 'Industry Veterans' started by Anonymous, Oct 18, 2011 at 9:27 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i hear you about getting out of sales...It finally got to me in my late 40s early 50s...Willy Loman was right...

I got sick of chasing people down like you said, and the total lack of dignity involved in being an older sales rep..It is sort of pathetic really...

save your money and maybe you can start a little business of your own someday...

As far as people bitching in the pharma biz...lay off of them...they have the right to...Awful industry to work in...They screw people over daily...and they harass older reps out of the companies which is basically criminal...

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think what many of you are missing here is the almost ALL jobs are terrible. Sales is not the only "willy loman" type of job.

We get a bad rap, but isn't really that bad?

I have been doing this for over 10 years, and I enjoy the competition, mainly competing with myself on a day to day basis. Sure, the corporation is full of crap. But, I can at least challenge myself with a tough customer, or even a dickhead manager.

Screw Willy Loman. He was a bad father and a bad husband. He doesn't represent a real sales person anyway...

besides, its always good to have a job where you can take the occasional afternoon or morning off, and go to the mall and watch a movie during work hours, as long as your numbers are good, of course.

Another thing, you people just look to get too much fullfillment out of work. This is extremely foolish, and you people need to wake up and understand that faith and family is where it is at and where it will always be for purpose in life...

don't let the fool in the media or stupid society that we live in, tell you otherwise.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

aaahhh...youth is wasted on the young as they say...I bet your are in your 30s...maybe 40s? let's see how much you like pharma in your 50s...eventually, it wears everyone down...

you are still a fresh faced kid...good attitude though...that will keep you stuck in pharma for the forseeable future...

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nope.

The beauty of this job has been that you can define it however you like. Want to be a "sales person"? Fine. Have at it. Close 3 times on every call. What to do the "marketing thing"? Great. Bring out 3 sales pieces on every call and give it the back-story behind the development of the piece. What to make calls on those offices that think like you do and be friends with them and get invited to the hot tube parties at the docs house? Knock yourself out, just don't drink too much when in the tub. Feel like giving a little med-ed on the call, and make it almost good for CME? Bring out the reprints you found...
    That has been the attraction for most of us "old guys". And as we moved along, we moved through all of those phases.
    The issue now is the level of independence that you have to do that.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wtf are you babbling about??? Try making sense next time...

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nope.

The beauty of this job has been that you can define it however you like. Want to be a "sales person"? Fine. Have at it. Close 3 times on every call. What to do the "marketing thing"? Great. Bring out 3 sales pieces on every call and give it the back-story behind the development of the piece. What to make calls on those offices that think like you do and be friends with them and get invited to the hot tube parties at the docs house? Knock yourself out, just don't drink too much when in the tub. Feel like giving a little med-ed on the call, and make it almost good for CME? Bring out the reprints you found...
    That has been the attraction for most of us "old guys". And as we moved along, we moved through all of those phases.
    The issue now is the level of independence that you have to do that.

My God, you are a friggin' idiot...I thought the "old guys" had a bit more sense than you seem to...you actually use 3 detail pieces on a call?? one is bad enough...

with all due respect, you sound sort of like a pharma loser...that is probably how you were able to survive...no chance of you intimidating your DM...

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I understand because I was there..twice before. Each time I felt like this, I made a change by relying on my gut and it worked. No job is worth getting sick at. You really have to start programming yourself and even though this is going to sound stupid, visualization works. Top athletes do it. Successful people do it. Read as much as you can about it. There is a lot of things that you can do but you have to open yourself up to the possibilities that are there. You have all the answers you need but you have to rise above the depression, a clinical situation for sure, in order to see them. Consider therapy to help you vent out your frustration and if you are not exercising, start. You have to start clearing your mind. Just trust me on this one. It sounds like you need to make a switch. Try to get into another form of healthcare sales like diagnostics. Consider starting your own company which you can easily do on the side while you are working 1-2 days a week in the field. It is time to move on and for your health I think you better. Good luck

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So... Have we all cheered up yet or what?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

the veil has lifted for me ... What did it Take? What Happened?

I FINALLY GOT MY BUYOUT!!!!

I STILL THANK JESUS DAILY!!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I kick myself everyday for not accepting a job with a federal law enforcement organization 20 years ago. I would now be close to retirement with pension and healthcare. Nope. I was one of the select few to get into pharma at the time. The saying was it would always be here with the aging population. Lesson learned.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Absolute horseshit. OK, please tell me all about it. You are difference maker. Please.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oncology reps at bio's absolutly make that. I just hired a rep with no Onc experience and our salary band's low end is $110k with the highedn being $165k where there are only a few very tenured reps. This girl got $30 k base salary raise. I'm not sure what bio's in other therapeutic areas pay but our average reps make @ $120 k to $130k base salaries.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

that's great pay, but selling onc. is a bs job, as that sector of heathcare does nothing but take people's money and do nothing to help.

how many people actually get cured from cancer?

its a total scam, worse than selling pharma. personally, I just couldn't do it and feel good about my life.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are an idiot. Cleary you have no idea what you are talking about. If your wife(or you if your a female) gets breast cancer I think you will change your tune.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No, I am an informed person.

I have had several people in my family die from cancer, and the treatments did not help.

You are just another kool aid drinking rep.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sorry to hear that but year in and year out people are living longer because of the many cancer drugs out there. You are 100% wrong. Not drinking any Kool-aid as I was and still am registered as a RN who was an oncology nurse for 10 years before joining industry. Again I am sad that you view oncology that way but it seems like you are harboring some sort of resentment of a personal nature and are very uninformed.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was entry 111. I do not have an issue with ONC meds. Just wanted to clear that up.

However, every has a right to their own opinion.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey everyone. OP here! Still in the industry. My small pharma co got bought and I got a nice stock pay out. But guess what...the job is still mindless and depressing even with a lot of money behind me now.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

A lot of money?
    At your age, aren't there better things in life than accumluating money? How about enjoying your spouse and telling her you love her? How about feeding the homeless? How about sitting in the steam room and enjoying the relaxation? How about mentoring a young sales rep? How about reading a book without pictures? How about giving thanks to the one who created you? How about remodeling your house to add a little more life? How about stop being a knucklehead all your life and thinking that a man's life is about how much money or how much he can accumlate? You miss life by a long shot, buddy. Still, I am glad you are not as depressed as you were, because you money "saved" you. Learn to THINK, and you won't have to worry about depression much.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow....are you on crack or something? Who said I don't love my wife? Reading a book without pictures? My house doesn't need remodeled. I never said money saved me. You are clueless.