Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I'm curious if anyone can share their experience transitioning from device to biotech. I've been selling medical devices for 8 years and have averaged $150K, but am ready for a change and have been frustrated by the growing impact contracts have over hospital systems.

Hoping to get an idea of average biotech compensation and quality of life. I've consistently been a top producer in my device role, and by no means am looking for something easy. Would greatly appreciate top biotech companies to begin researching. Thanks in advance.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

contracting is everywhere.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Anyone care to share their experience about making the switch?

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I would love to share my experience having spent 20 years in industry split between both sides. If you enjoys science the information you learn is interesting, however you are very much restricted in your discussions with accounts. Many will tell you Oncology is the place to be mostly becasue the salaries range from 120-190k. Bonus is controlled to under 40k/year paid out quarterly after numbers are adjusted. Very low access to customers in this area because "Big Pharma" seems to be going back to having several people calling on every account with the same products. Accounts have simply shut down.. Honestly, you spend most of your time beating your head against the wall because of unrealistic call metrics. If you work hard you will find more rewarding moments but they are still few and far between. That being said, if you can find a small biotech in rare disease the job can be rewarding, fun and lucrative.

The medical device side of the business translates better to those that want to work hard and possibly leave for another industry with good pay. The benefit is that you can interact with customers as a device rep outside of the office unlike biotech. You will get fired for interactions with customers outside of work. Lab sales has the most latitude and can be a great area of the industry, but has the potential for ethical concerns. Lab sales are usually around 180 at plan.

All of these jobs have pros and cons, but I would recommend against biotech with a large organization, consider it with a small one with equity or lab sales. All have the same issue with contracts that presents in different ways. I hope this is helpful, but I will leave you with this.... All of these jobs were so fun back in the day! If you are young, don't wait to long to build your career in a different industry where you can still have fun. Ours is not what it once was...