Dinosaurs and survivors

Discussion in 'Winthrop Laboratories' started by Anonymous, Aug 6, 2006 at 9:32 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dick Pingstock - useless tool. Paul Pinsonault was training director, passed away last year from prostate cancer and his two sons took over the business. And Elmer the fleet manager who made everyone's life miserable.

J Roderick Delahanty - the WinGel mascot. Could never get rid of those glass cases.

Just came back from a medical convention and ran into a young man who's dad is Hal Burnham MD one of Winthrop's medical directors. He's still teaching at a med school on Long Island but no longer taking on patients.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Elmer Bokley(?)........ wow!!!!! Five months after I turned in a car at the dealer he called to ask where it was....???? The dealer and I had a good laugh over that one as they winched in up on the flat bed car hauler. Total incompent but then that is how he got to be fleet manager.

3. Walking Eagle

Walking Eagle Active Member

Was Jack Cannady hired about '73 to work Ft Smith, AK---Name sounds familiar and there was a young, reddish blonde kid in my initial training class whose name I can't remember.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey, did you move out west for the company to do training? Were you originally in Buffalo? If so, I remember you. We were in Train the Trainer together!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey hello, I do remember train the trainer... NY, had to be 1982/1983 or there about's... never moved..got divorced instead and could no longer afford the idea. Who was the beautiful lady from Colorado??? I would have moved anywhere with her.... who are you stranger??

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

1968 - In October, I ate space peanuts with Joey at the ole shack

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There were two Jack Cannady's. One was in Wichita, Kansas and the other was the kid you referred to below. I remember training the Ft. Smith J. Cannady. He did not last long--he was pretty strange. Nice kid, but strange.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just spent a great hour on the phone with Jerry Fineberg...part of Gus Cuneo's district in the 70's....let's hear from some of those people.... what a ball we had!!!!!

9. Walking Eagle

That would be him--been a long time --wasn't sure of the last name spelling. We were in the first class with female reps. Six married men, one single; six single women, one married. They broke every rule they had regarding hiring a good, hard working, long term employee then were confused when the women weren't happy, didn't produce up to expected standards(not ALL the women, of course- two of the seven in the initial class stuck it out, did well, got promoted) and left the business.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I started in Amarillo, Texas and later went to Tulsa (1970 through 73). My partners were Bob Byrd who stated with Winthrop for many years. A good guy. I haven't kept up with him. I left in 1973 and went to Boehringer, where I have stayed for over 30 years. I'll retire this coming year. Blaise was the Regional Manager and seemed like an OK guy.

I have many fond memories of Winthrop. I enjoed their product line and they had some very good people with the company. Jack Cannady in Wichita was with Winthrop for 20+ years and is still in Wichita (I think). We had a guy named Clark Lowe in Topeka and Andy Stotts in Little Rock. We had a Johnny Watson in Ft. smith (later was promoted to the West Coast). Like I said, Bob Byrd was a great partner and the Oklahoma city guys rotated around Paul Sanbrano. Fred Clark was also in Oklahoma City. I don't think any of those guys are around in the pharmaceutical business now.

It is great to hear some war stories, although they get fewer with each passing year. I was 22 when I started with Winthrop. I'm now 59. A little water under the bridge. I remember making great relationships with physicians in that era. No lunches, cookies, or any of that crap. We did take physicians out to lunch (didn't dream of feeding the entire office). I am in Senior Management now and I'm not sure I could go back and start again if the clock reversed itself 37 years. I don't regret my career, but I feel for young reps today out there catoring to so many offices. I still go out in the field a few days a year and it has changed.

11. Walking Eagle

Is Johnny Watson the tall, slim guy with a very droll sense of humor who became hospital supervisor (trained field reps for hospital, etc)? There is a guy I would like to talk to after all these years. I came on board in early '73--Houston Division under Harry Ochsenbein (he started in NW Louisiana with McGoey as his DM). the DM in Dallas whose last name we could not remember was Bud Shiller. Rep in San Antonio who may have started about the same time you did ('70 or '71) was Bill Hickman ( promo to hosp rep in '75 and eventually to DM inSeattle)

Do you know any of the BI reps in San Antonio, Texas? Gordon Parker was in our age group--died a few months ago. Joe Barnett is a specialty rep in San Antonio and is our age and has been around for about the same amount of time. He and I attended the same small college but didn't meet until the late 80's (he was the consummate frat rat and I was GDI and married mid sophmore year so paths just never crossed unless we were in a huge chemistry/english/math class freshman year where you only get to know a few people). The only other BI rep I know was a hospital rep in New Orleans in 74-75 who was promoted to DM in deep snow country (maybe Minneapolis??) - Tall, big, permed his thinning red hair into a white boy afro. Can't remember his name to save me.

Feel free to send personal message if you are registered.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does anyone know what happened to Vickie Savage, Rodger Rainey or Wayne Heike?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You must have been in GC's division..... wasn't Heike's father a higher up at Sterling??? What about Chuck Urey????

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I believe Vickie Savage took a job with either Glaxo or BI...wasn't she located in Springfield MA???????

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, I knew Gordon Parker well. Gordon was a strong personality, but I liked him. I was sorry to hear of his death. Even at 62 or so, that is too young. I think you are referring to Jerry Brach. He was a DM in Minneapolis for a few years. He left in the early 80's. I'm not sure what happened to him after that.

You have Joe Barnett labeled perfectly. He is still a "frat rat" Not a bad guy.
    I know most of the reps in San Antonio (I actually hired most of them). Some of been there several years. I am a close friend of Keith Hembree who still works in SA as a DM.

This site is great for memories. I may never thought of Jerry Brach if you hadn't described him. Take care.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Anyone know what became of Al Hilliard a hospital supervisor based in Durham, NC? He had been around for years and a pretty nice guy. Another guy in Richmond, VA, that was a DM was Harvey Weller. He was also one of good guys that got his job done the right way.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Rodger Rainey is with GE Healthcare Medical Diagnostics, living in Pittsburgh PA. He hired my in 1983 when he was the Breon regional manager. Rodger and I have lived through the whole saga of mergers, divestments & sales - Breon to Winthrop to Sanofi to Kodak to Nycomed to Amersham to GE.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

When he hired you I had already been working for GC in Upstate NY for 11 years..... my how time flies....

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'll tell you where Mr. Rainey is....
    He was kicking ass and still taking names up til one week ago. (end of October-I believe the 22nd) when his position was eliminated within GE Healthcare, Medical Diagnostics. (part of the Old DID Winthrop Business founded by Dan Peters and Joe Scodari)

Dan was also "retired" by our friendly GE "Imagination at Work" cronies at the beginning of the month.

True gentlemen and true professionals. They will be truly missed.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Everything changes in this biz...please wish him well form upstate NY... I just got bought again..this time by Allergan. Hoping to get 2 more seasons...I still have a great slider....