Diversity! Diversity!

Discussion in 'Genentech' started by anonymous, Jan 10, 2020 at 10:45 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I know, it really pisses me off, here I am a fat old white guy with a full head of hair and I got completely passed over. Suck me

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You are the sucker. “We’re gonna get rid of half of the company. And we are finally serious about diversity.”

This just happens to occur at the same time and mentioned in the same breath by AH.

You don’t really believe that’s coincidental do you? Your focus on minorities and the “lowering our standards” bs is a distraction from the real problem-the lack of leadership and the boogie man they created for chumps like you. Pay attention to the stats. Most roles, especially leadership roles, here will continue to be filled by people who look just like the people who had them last year. Mostly non-minorities of average intelligence who have the right friends. Don’t believe me? Just look at the usual suspects getting the best new roles.

Regarding getting passed over, we have had every advantage in this country, so you might need to do some self-reflection. Besides, this place is competitive. Also, both of the black guys I know here have been passed over more than once. I guess they weren’t qualified like you.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Don't know any of these baldies but just wonder of similar complaints would be made if this were an all female, middle aged team with huge racks? Highly doubt it?

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Story of my yearly review.

Mgr: Awesome job but you're not getting promoted again
    Me: Why? My process and tech solutions cut down time by 50% while at the same time found additional $8M savings for the company
    Mgr: Well the other LT members do not know that you did that
    Me: Isn't that your job to highlight that as my mgr you are my advocate? Besides everybody in this dept knows I'm leading as you described it, this very successful project.
    Mgr: No you have to go out there and tell everybody. That's just how everything is. You have to play the game work the system. You need to work on your PR skills. This is verbatim folks!

Guess who they promoted, Becky who's been facilitating TED Talks videos over lunch. BTW 2 years ago our manager, mistakenly cc me on a dinner invite to Jim. Must had a good time as Jim got assigned to easy projects with high visibility and promotion after only a year.

These people are just so blinded by their white privilege. It's amazing how supposedly woke people around here are yet the culture that they perpetuate is so bias. This visibility measure of success needs to be abolished. They always asked you for measurable goals which they don't use as true measure of success. To get decision made by LT they would always require you to provide all the data from Uranus. Yet when you ask for why just Jim and Becky and not me. Their rationale wouldn't pass any of the decision trees created by all consultants we wasted our money on. Measure and value impact not how much I or I . I should look for Ted Talks topic on how can my all white LT fairly treat their very impactful POC IC.

Documenting everything for the past 2 years. Watch out for the lawsuit.

***names are fictional but stories are 100% true, to protect their integrity. you just can't make this shit up.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I went through something very similar. This is unfortunately apart of GNE’s “culture”. Amazing how good people are constantly dimmed down. Hope you find peace.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The same things are happening in the field. Hard workers, performers and good leaders are being pushed out. Ass kissers, weasels, spouses and buddies are getting all the jobs. At this point with what is going on in this disastrous place, perhaps the jerks who got the jobs are getting exactly what they deserve. what a shit show!

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

During my annual review I bent over and blew myself. Stood up and declared that I’m mono-sexual and protected as such. I was immediately promoted and assigned to a lead role on a diversity and inclusion work stream. It sucked but what a way to promoted myself.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Wow, today's town hall meeting on affirmative action, I mean diversity and inclusion, just concluded. The Chief Diversity Officer was fixated primarily on race but secondarily gender. The numbers she shared reflected an already well-balanced makeup of employee demographics, achieved prior to the last 2 months in her newly created position. But we're not stopping there. It was mentioned that the "Inclusion" project is currently being rolled out in CMG, "embedding" people of a certain race within the new ecosystems and on the panel interviews. How is having such a strong focus on hiring based on race, as opposed to qualification, not racism?

I knew the leaders had lost their minds, but this is now becoming scary. The company appears to be more concerned about hiring "the right" employees instead of the BEST talent for the job. This could explain why the company is slipping and will continue to do so. It sounds like leadership knows what they are looking for and should be able to hit their target demographic goals with ecosystem hiring using the external candidate pool in instances where internal folks aren't diverse enough. Mindset is a subjective smoke screen and will make an easy, fuzzy excuse to not hire. Didn't get to keep your job? It wasn't because of how you look, it was because your mindset was all wrong. Good luck to all who choose to stick around and interview for their jobs!

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

D&I BS they could not even treat those of us POC they already in house. What they want to hire more because the white folks in managment don't have enough to mistreat? The hypocrisy is just so unreal.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The crying climate change lady was particularly entertaining.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The climate change person (right pronoun) was awesome!!! Can’t wait for company car options:
    Windmill car
    Solar car
    Flintstone car
    Propane car
    And my favorite option
    The Budweiser horse and buggy..

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

WTF?!? Well this speaks volumes of what we are dealing with internally. Poor grammar and misspellings. Yikes.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Edumucation much?

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Obviously, the irony and humor are over your head...

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I don't know why so many on this thread are shitting on diversity. This organization could sure use some.

Look at our field leadership. Nancy, James, Dean, Kate. White as sliced bread.

Reimagining customer relationships? Transforming healthcare? Ecosystems?

This is all white people bullshit.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Exactly!! White as bread on field leadership team.
    And the next one to get added will be Michael Ash. He has been promised it from the very beginning we hear.

Portfolio Marketing is Jeff and Emily. More white as bread and more of the same.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

If they are best peeps for the job then so be it... obviously if it a tie then it should thunder dome to the death!!

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It is deeper than that. Unconscious bias. We tend to hire people who look, act and behave like us. This diversity thing is all about going beyond that. Obviously, this company is not ready for diversity yet.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Unconscious bias... maybe 1% if I worked that person but it comes down can you do the job, can you make all of us look good with your performance, can you behave like an adult, and can I trust you.. to me that is ethnicitiless, genderless, and you don’t need a Ivy League MBA.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest