Do you think I should Double Dip?

Discussion in 'The Darkened Sample Closet' started by anonymous, May 10, 2019 at 8:22 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

My pharma company had a lay off 6 months ago! I am a president's club and multiple award winner who has been actively applying and interviewing for 6 months! To say this has been the most stressful time in my life is an understatement.

HERE'S THE THING. Suddenly I had many companies wanting to interview me and I have received one offers and I'm having a final phone interview with Regional tomorrow so I'm in. One offer is a legit ..not big pharma but not a start up company with a great reputation and great products. The manager is a cool guy, The second company is with a CONTRACT company with big pharma selling a drug that is a dud and old in a specialty I'm not crazy about but I interviewed because I needed a job. The manager for the contract seems to be chill and won't micro-manage.

I've been doing pharma for a LONG time. The specialties DO NOT over-lap at all. I think I could easily call on both throughout the day easily as they are in the same territory.
    I'd like to make up for the money I haven't made in 6 months and then some. Being I'd be starting them around the same time, do you think I can get away with it if the training schedules don't over-lap?? Yes, it would be stressful but I think I can sell both drugs no problem!

What would you do?

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

When you invest, you do so according to risk tolerance. I personally wouldn’t do this, but I am not you. Do you really need the money that badly? What is really driving your thoughts and behaviors?

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

As tempting ( and glorious ) as it would be to double dip...you will likely get caught sooner or later. A business card falls into the wrong hands, reps talk/commiserate like there’s no tomorrow...it likely wouldn’t end well. But I do see the temptation to stick it to Big Bad Pharma.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I wouldn't do it. I have been tempted many times to DD, but the reality is, they can find out and then you could be out of two jobs. You could also end up with a damaged reputation (and if one of those jobs is through a big box recruiter, you could really screw yourself out of future opportunity). I think you should say no to the contract gig and go with the start up. Once you go contract, it is hard to go back. You said you have been doing this a long time. I'm not sure if you have done contract before, but friends of mine have and find getting solid, good paying jobs afterward difficult. Contract gigs can also bring your salary way down and getting that reset at a higher level down the round can be tough. Go with the start up, usually you get other perks besides the standard package (stock options, etc), and go show the pharma world that you awesome.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No I've never done contract and realize it is not ideal. I interviewed because I'm the only person taking care of me and after 6 months, I needed money coming in. I'll tell you, Appreciate your jobs!! I've never experienced anxiety or depression before being unemployed as the sole earner with multiple mortgages (I'm a landlord/Investor), car payment, utility bills etc. I've NEVER struggled in my life because I am a hard worker. I guess that is why I am toying with the idea of accepting both offers. It's to catch up, pay off mortgages and put a lot more aside to protect myself in case this ever happens again ( as we know, lay offs are common place in this crazy industry).

I do know it's risky and will bring on it's own anxiety and it most likely isn't worth getting caught and ruining a good reputation.
    I do appreciate the thoughtful honest replies!!

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

How could you even question this? It’s wrong and you know it.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I don't see at as wrong, just risky. If you make your #, it's not wrong. I have several friends who 'double dip', with one job in pharma and non-pharma side hustle. 2 friends side hustles are their own businesses and they now make more $ with the side than the pharma job.

Pharma is now a brutal business where you can't always grapevine one job to the next. Pharma is also not an especially well paying job anymore, even in specialty.

Working a side hustle drastically reduces stress when the cuts come, and as many know, they do come.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I think a lot of people double dip and/or not working full time in the field unless they have a ride along..The access in most offices has gone down in my area unless you provide food. I've been in this industry a long time and even with relationships I can not always get back.

I know several people in this industry that own their own company, substitute teach, uber, real estate, part time billers, pharmacist, flip houses, property managers, work home care, etc etc....

This industry is not loyal and layoff's are now industry standard.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yes! A couple years ago, after yet another layoff, and another round of unemployment and brutal job search that lasted over 6 months, out of desperation I returned to my former career field (that pays half what I made in pharma, but offers the job security that pharma cannot). I worked that Human Services job (yes, I'm being deliberately vague about my actual role/job title) full-time and put in plenty of overtime. I had to adjust to making a lower income, but I could pay my bills and stay afloat. Then, finally, after being out of the industry for a year, I was able to land a pharma sales gig (I refer to pharma sales jobs as "gigs" now to emphasize the tenuous nature of these jobs - in reality, all pharma sales jobs are now temp jobs). I went part-time in the Human Services job - remaining connected to that field because it's there for me for when the pharma gig ends once again. All pharma reps need a backup plan!