EBI v. Exogen

Discussion in 'Biomet Orthopedics' started by Anonymous, Jun 12, 2007 at 7:07 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No reason they should not be rented. Is there anything wrong with someone wanting to recover as quickly as possible, rather than wait months for an option to speed healing.
    Billing insurance 1000's of dollars , is that really a preferable option to an invidual paying for one out of their own pocket at about the same price as the likely insurance deductible?
    This saves all insurance customers money. Fantastic idea.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm sorry for bumping this thread BEFORE I READ IT but I promise to read it all.

Yes, I realize it's an old thread but maybe I can get a couple of questions answered hopefully without getting flamed so I don't have to read all this drama.

I read a little and I've seen some people call it a piece of junk.

Anyway..................

HERE IT GOES:
    My mother got an Exogen Bioventus because a hospitals staff member must have accidentally broken my mothers leg. She was prescribed prednisone for a long time in the 80's. Anyway she died after 1 use of this device. One 20 minute use.

Could a small sports medicine or Osteo bone clinic benefit from this device ?
    It might be inferior but wouldn't it be worth at least 700 brand new ?
    Still has plastic on lens........manuals....in box etc. etc.

And.............................I guess its legal to sell right ?

Thank you in advance for sharing any experienced wisdom !
    Thank you for not making me read this entire thread.
    There seemed to be lots of emo

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OOOOOOOPS !!!!!!!!!

SHE DIED BECAUSE OF M.S.

THAT DIDN'T READ WELL BECAUSE IT WAS WRITTEN BADLY

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Okay I couldn't make it through the first page.

PLEASE HELP A POOR PRIVATE CITIZEN WITH ONLY A PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATION:
    The Bi-polarity feud on these pages really doesn't tell me anything except
    that 2 different sides are cursing each others products.

Let me sum it up.

Due to consequences beyond human control : I have ended up with an EXOGEN BIOVENTUS machine and strap device that only has 20 minutes usage and was acquired 2 months ago.

Is it legal to sell and how much is it worth ?

PLEASE

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

These devices are prescribed with a doctors ex for a reason. That being said, you cannot legally sell it however, for the pt who only used it for one day it should have been returned and the insurance or whoever paid for it reimbursed. EBI has always had a 30 day policy., meaning if for any reason the pt does not want or cannot use the unit it must be credited back to whoever paid for it. Probably too late for you to return but you can do whatever you want with it. I see them on eBay and other sites all the time. It is def buyer beware.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Damn autocorrect that's doctors rx not ex

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's a contradiction but since I have seen them on EBAY I figured it would be legal.

The patient had some major problems and with everything going on after her death I didn't even think about the unit. I was a little overwhelmed at the time. I guess if the rep. who came by and sold this at a BON SECOURS HOSPITAL would have checked up on her sale it could have happened. (since she died about 4 days after leaving hospital)

I would like to see it be used instead of it just becoming worthless trash.

I know after all the medical bills we have endured during the 38 years of her major case of M.S. we needed to reverse mortgage our house which is going to run out soon too.

I need the money.

I tried to read another thread on this website about this machine and it was just more juvenile arguing and insults.

Does this site have a large percentage of M.D.'s posting here ?

A psychologist could use this website as a reference for many mental ailments and shortcomings.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH AN EXOGEN BIOVENTUS brand new is worth ?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Regarding the avg sale price for a stim unit it depends on who is paying. New to Medicare it prob goes for 4300. However every ins payor has a diff contract. Some as low as 1800.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Call the number on the back and explain the situation. It's possible they can help. If not, ask to be escalated to a manager.

Actual street value? $450 max if youre willing to break the law by selling a prescription. Very little chance of getting caught.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Exogen reps still give units away and ruin the playing field.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

They care now. Because bone stimulation on an acute fracture is costly. You Exogen reps sell outside FDA indications and technically that is illegal.

One of my podiatry customers said he went to an Exogen sponsored program where he was wined and dined to hear speakers. Rep here talks about using it in acute bunionectomis and it's not approved for acute osteotomies or fusions. Wonder how much this adds to the ACA.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That is a complete lie and you know it. There is absolutely no incentive to promote for a bunionectomy or adjunct to a fusion/osteotomy because there is no reimbursement for those procedures whatsoever. No commercial carriers cover those procedures, and CMS does not either.

I'm sorry but EBI has old technology that required 8-10 hours per day to achieve a 60% range success rate. Doctors are not using this as much as Orthofix and Smith Nephew for clinical reasons. Patients are not going to wear a device for 8-10 hours every day for 3-4 months, no way.

What would you choose for your own fracture?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Read your op notes sometime. An Osteotomy is performed in the bunionectomy and yes Exogen codes as an acute met fracture. Yes, many payers ( except Medicare) pay based on acute met code NOT bunionectomy. 1st met incised on most.
    But it's wasteful to use a bone stim on an acute osteotomy and it's not indicated.

Just a little FYI. Orthofix and EBI have a fusion indication. ( look at some of your Estim guidelines and indications). Exogen does not have a failed fusion indication.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Orthofix. Patient can go about any activities so they are very compliant. People " wear" boots, clothes and other garments so it's not the big deal an Exogen or Donjoy rep makes it out to be.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Prove it. No scientific proof on exogen's transducer depth or width. Also no science behind your " proposed" mechanism of action. Smoke and Mirrors.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just because your sales trainers haven't shown you any of this doesn't mean it's not true. Clinical models analyzing the US beam through bovine femurs are quite easy to do. If you do a little research on ultrasound you might find out that it can be altered with the transducer shape, intensity, pulse and frequency. You learn as a competitor that therapeutic ultrasound ( used in PT) etc only penetrates a few inches, but it is not the same transducer or beam. Look at diagnostics and the depth of penetration when examining the entire body cavities, organs, fetus, etc. US is also used to break up tumors deep within the body in oncology- the beam is focused to achieve deeper penetration, and the intensity and frequency are also different from therapy US.
    You sound quite passionate about your device which is to be expected from a salesperson, but you are wrong when it comes to the effective depth of Exogen. Do you see any Universities doing any research with PEMF technology and fracture healing these days? Nope, it is an old and less effective technology, plain and simple. I would use it over Donjoy ( only Drs and clinics with a financial incentive use that one) but not the others.