Eliminated territories?

Discussion in 'Covidien' started by Anonymous, Sep 12, 2010 at 9:04 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Anyone know which territories were eliminated on Friday?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Phase 1: Expansion territories are the first on the chopping block. If the territories weren't at 100% by the end of August, then the territory was dissolved, rep fired, and zip codes absorbed by surrounding territories. So far 20 territories are/were eliminated. This first phase ends on Sept. 30 (Realigned territories in effect Oct 1).

Phase 2: Reps at the bottom of the rankings have been or will be put on PIPs, 30-60 days. If Pennsaid and/or Exalgo don't improve within that timeframe, expect more terminations.

Phase 3: Hiring event to be held in Nov-Dec to fill empty slots.

This info was from a very reliable source from DM meeting last week.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does anyone have any concrete information about this? First time I heard of this. We are only at month 5 of the launch.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Would anyone be so kind as to share with me the name of the hiring manager in Raleigh NC? Thank you very much!!!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Also first time hearing of this...however, my district has eliminated an expansion territory 2 weeks ago, and that territory was divided up into the surrounding territories. The reason was vague as to why the rep was let go, but her numbers weren't the worst. Pennsaid at 90% by the end of August, Exalgo at around 20-30%. There are 2 other reps on my team that I know of who are on an improvement plan til the end of October. So the info above sounds consistent so far. It's strange that this company is behaving this way at only 5 months into a dual launch. But then again, I'm non-legacy, and don't really know what Covidien is really like.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Firing reps 5 and PIPS 5 months into launch? Sounds like this company needs to get its shit together.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No kidding, especially since we don't even have decent managed care coverage yet.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Coming from big pharma, Coidien still has a lot to learn when it comes to product launches. Who in their right mind would tell the reps to go out and SELL SELL SELL when there is a clear lack of support from management, marketing, and managed care. Then leadership looks at the numbers 5 months into launch and start eliminating territories based on the severely premature data.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

When and where is the hiring event taking place? If it starts in November, should candidates start applying now to postings on the website or is there an email to send resumes to? Thanks!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Legacy rep here. This is what Covidien is like, unfortunately. PIP is code for termination in 3 months. Legacy management is inept, untrustworthy & cowardly as well. Good luck and keep your options open when working for this turd of a company.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

....when there is a clear lack of support from management, marketing, and managed care. Then leadership looks at the numbers 5 months into launch and start eliminating territories based on the severely premature data....

Well, lets put it this way...legacy management are in way over their heads (especially if one knew the mechanics of how many of these morons got promoted), Marketing has never gotten it right since I started with this company; I have never seen a department in my 20+ years of Pharma get as many Mulligans as this crew has; and speaking of golf, perhaps if the MCG spent more time doing their jobs than honing their game, more of us could be exalted as "True Sales Professionals" with a Medicaid win within our respective states.

These people know where these products are heading. C'mon people, read between the lines and start looking!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dudes', you're trying to sell a worthless drug like pennsaid. What has really been SAID, is you folks are going to be toast soon. That damn drug is a joke. How can you expect the company to keep all of you when most territories nationwide are only pulling off a handful of scripts weekly. The gravy train won't last much longer and you too will be layed off. LOL...

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, if you look at the latest ATRX report and note the vacancies compared to the previous one, you'll see which specific territories were eliminated. In my region, it looks as if every district has at least one vacancy. Last month, I was placed on a PIP for low Pennsaid numbers, and have till the end of October to show improvement. I've noticed that since being on a PIP, my manager treats me like an outcast, as if my days are numbered even though my numbers have been gradually improving. I have the feeling that I'm being "forced" out, so I'm currently looking at other options...

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, concrete information is in the latest TRX report as an earlier post stated. Look at the number of "vacant" territories. My DM also stated that Covidien made so many errors and misjudgments with the two launch drugs, particularly Exalgo. It pretty much all boils down to luck. Look at your Exalgo targets. How many of them will realistically write Exalgo? And if you do have one or two writers, how many scripts will actually get filled? Patients balk at some of the outrageous copays, and pharmacies are not too keen on stocking it. Some of us will be fortunate enough to have pain docs who are either speakers or are aggressive opioid writers. If you don't have this type of territory, then you're fighting a long, uphill battle. Unfortunately, leadership wants numbers NOW. Never mind that it takes TIME to build relationships with doctors and staff. The expectation is everyone exceeds 100% to goal 4-5 months into launch. Poor managed care? Nonexistent marketing? Outrageous pricing? No pharmacy stocking agreement? It doesn't matter to leadership. All they look at are numbers. Anything below 100% is candidacy for the chopping block.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I thought you guys just had this huge nationwide hiring event a few months ago to launch these drugs. And already your company is firing/laying off? Looks like the signs of panic when a company does something irrational like that. What a disaster. I wonder how much money Covidien flushed down the toilet.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You guys are so underpaid the company is already limiting its cash outlay. Think about the 50,000 reps who are currently out of work, you are all replaceable at the drop of a hat!

Keep in mind you can not legally be fired for not meeting sales quotas. Look very carefully at your PIPs, if that is the ONLY criteria and the only stated objective double check with your state labor board, you can fight it! Keep in mind HR is advising your DMs how to word these PIPs, there might (should) be some language relating to something in addition to numbers. That is what they will get you on (legally)

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it with my state labor laws. I'm on a PIP solely for not hitting numbers. Nothing else. I know of several other reps on similar PIPs. This company is not what I expected when I first came on board.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Covidien is a joke! Most of the good talent has moved on. Many issues here. Think of it as a temporary place to give up your life while you look for a decent reasonable company.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hmmm... so far events have happened to prove 1 & 2 true. Haven't heard about a hiring event at the end of 2010. What a mess of a company.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

HA HA! And if the DMs think only the reps are at risk... think again! Why do you think BN is now RM. BC can't manage a group of army ants let alone a district. And EVERYONE knows it. Good luck!! Hope that resume is up to date!