Ethicon is circling the drain

Discussion in 'Ethicon Device' started by anonymous, Mar 29, 2021 at 10:12 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The medical device business at J&J is a sinking ship (every division besides Biosense Webster). AG, the Ethicon AVP in New York, just jumped ship and left J&J because he knew no one is getting promoted out of Ethicon within the next three years.

From marketing in Somerville and Cincinnati to the field, from ASRs to AVPs, everyone is looking for a way out. If you are not, don't be surprised when cuts are made and everyone is looking for a life raft.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You hit the nail on the head!

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Can’t happen soon enough

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Losers

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Is anyone surprised?

As soon as this company started rewarding the "process" of sales vs. the actual closing of sales, it was only a matter of time. You have people here that rarely hit their numbers, if at all, but because they have a good "process", they continue to keep their jobs/management looks at them favorably.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Our products are garbage

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Lol, our products are better than our middle management, marketing teams, and contract reps combined.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Contract reps are better than the worthless never leave the house reps

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The account executive job is great. I work maybe 5 hours a week, get a free car and have been growing my side business for years. It's going to be a bummer when I lose this do nothing six figure job but I have a back up plan for when the ride ends.

Do you?

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Smart man..I was there for 10 years and left Ethicon and made a career change..Planned my exit strategy 2-3 years in advance and didn't share anything with anyone in the organization. That was the beauty of being able to be under the radar..I worked my ass off though for the first 7 years and was in the OR virtually every am for first case (actually surgeries where did bring a sliver of value as was a clinical junkie)...Fast forward 10 years later, looking at that nice pension to tap into and absolutely love the new career. I am thankful to Ethicon for the lifestyle and 160k avg income per year. I grew to detest the organization though after 6-7 years when I finally woke all to the lazy associates who postured and the worthless mgmt as mentioned in this thread. Not surprised this company is circling the drain. saw the handwriting on the walll over 7 years ago. Good luck everyone!

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The future you are talking about is here. Ethicon’s last re-org indicated a shift from clinical selling to account management with a touch of sales. They’ve already cut 5k out of the variable comp side and will most likely continue to do so. It’s interesting that they shrunk the pay and (slight) size of the field sales team yet added more bloat to middle management (Rss, AMDM).

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The size of field sales is going to shrink some more

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

When business is driven on GPO contracts, account management is what is happening. You don’t “sell” something that an account is mandated to use because of their contracts

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Why do people always say this? This notion that ETHICON is so contract driven. I’ve been here a long time and have worked side by side with so many device reps in other specialties. If you think they don’t have contracts that are either working for them or against them, you are sadly mistaken.

Please tell me which rep for what company “sells” their product with absolutely no regard for vac, contracts, etc.

Reps here are paid on growth so it doesn’t matter if you have the contract. If you have 3 competitive surgeons in Said account that you cannot convert, then you don’t grow! And no, those competitive surgeon won’t be “mandated” to use ETHICON.

The funny thing is ETHICON reps could outsell so many of these other reps at other companies. We can’t rely on dollar 1 payouts and hanging out with a handful of surgeons opening boxes haha. You want to talk about “not selling?” Take a look around at the Ortho, neuro, cath lab reps. Those guys wouldn’t last a year at ETHICON!

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I don’t see Ethicon reps hanging out in any OR

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

And I don't see them winning contracts....
    Nice job CT. You and Bundy must be real close to each other. How else does a person that has lost everything in every position he has ever been in while at Ethicon. Yet you keep moving up.
    Nice job with Common Spirit, add it to your wall of failures

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Oh lord, those two are still around..Yes, they are buddies..That is the beauty of this company when you reach middle to upper mgmt, no accountability and the ability to spin reality for the folks who are naive in their ivory towers..

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Any other account executives “working from home”? I haven’t been allowed in my hospitals for months! My manager hasn’t a clue!

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Don’t you mean for years?

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

When will Ethicon be sold?