Expect layoffs in vaccines

Discussion in 'Pfizer' started by anonymous, Aug 23, 2018 at 10:42 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Your gut means nothing. We’re too heavy with reps. Half would easily suffice.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

We actually need more reps.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

To “ sell” vaccines? LOL.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

We do need more reps. Have a pediatric force.....small but large territory. Have an adult force...large with smaller territory.

There are so many primary care offices, pharmacies, hospitals, walk-in clinics, and health departments in my territory it would take me at least a year at 8/day to call on them all just once. Probably even 2 years the more I think about it.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

How many of all these customers will you actually see? Maybe one- third? Maybe?

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Why not cross train other primary care reps who should already be calling on these offices? Of course their access is as crappy as yours (and reps from other companies). The days of expansion and bringing on additional reps and subsequent costs are long gone. This is especially true for an already established product with no competitors. Pfizer’s M/O is always cost reduction, less headcount, screw the reps. It’s almost Christmas time- look at when Big Blue historically does reductions. If it doesn’t get announced soon you’re probably ok for another year. Vaccines, when in Wyeth, survived quite well with a small pediatric sales force flying under the radar. Adult indication and Pfizer assimilation changed everything!

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You must be kidding, ped offices require very little effort or time. There is no growth in internal medicine and the division would run without reps at all. Physicians use the adult product when they want to and we are kidding ourselves if we think we have any influence any more.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Absolutely correct.

The patient actually decides whether or not they or their kid gets a vaccine. Drs. Second, and our input has absolutely no bearing on anything.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

lets say there were layoffs. Do they lay off the veterans because they get paid more so the new reps are cheaper? Or do they value tenure and maintain the older reps and lay off he newer ones? Or is it more based on performance?

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Its a mix. When you get laid off you will get a breakdown by age group of who got left off. It's done that way to minimize lawsuits and discrimination claims. As far as valuing tenure.....those days are long gone.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

One thing we know and is correct. If its going to happen it's coming up on the time they do it. Notifications in the fall so "new" districts are set for the new year. We have seen this play out over and over for how many years now across how many divisions. So if you make it thru to say December most likely going to be OK for another year. Cant waste any more energy speculating it's too tiring and nobody actual knows except management and they ain't saying!

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

so who decides who goes? Do they hire an outside company to make the cuts or is it internal management?

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

They’ll tell you it’s an outside company but it’s all internal. Your manager will tell you heshe has no input , lie.
    This is my third go- around and the last.
    Enough of the bullshit. Retiring in December.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I used to think that until I transferred into Vaccines. Yes, most pediatric offices run themselves, but the real battle is selling Trumenba. No way in hell one dose is bought without a sales force behind it. Also, in PEDs offices the turnover screws up their ordering cycles. If I wasn't there often, they get behind on ordering.
    As for adults, the growth is there and without me I guarantee that the doses would drop drastically. You sell yourself short and it's obvious you shouldn't be in sales. I'm as critical and jaded as anyone you'll ever meet, but at least I'm also the most realistic and honest person, as well.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

A friend of mine's kid just entered college and got the shot due to college recommendation, so not sure rep contributed to that sale. Adult practices around here primarily owned by hospitals which drive all purchase and usage decisions (reps are also closed out of the offices). Not sure where you work but pretty sure they can cut around here. Access drying up all over the place(so all divisions-not just Vaccines) should see a natural reduction in salesforce anyway. Unfortunately its the state of healthcare.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Can you post the link for your job board? I would love to post my thoughts and ideas on how you should be laid off too even though it’s none of my business

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Let's keep our head in the sand. Are you blind or just ignorant on what's happened/happening to this profession. The smart person would look for employment outside of Pharma if you want to stay in healthcare. Just curious-do you see overall expansion or contraction in this industry?? Don't like seeing anyone get laid off anywhere---- but facts are facts.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Congrats-you made it!!

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I've heard this mantra for 20 years now. Seen many people come and go. I'm sure it's crazier than most industries, but if you survive, you thrive.
    If you jump ship, then my job becomes that much more secure. Tough decision for you guys. Me, not so much.