Experienced Reps Need Not Apply

Discussion in 'Merck' started by anonymous, Oct 20, 2018 at 9:55 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Experience is not valued here! All new hires have absolutely no pharma experience. What the hell is Merck up to?

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Um, experienced reps know better than to work there. I hated that place

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

We only hire top talent. Sounds like someone is bitter for not getting a job here

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I have over 10 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry. I recently went through the interview process with Merck. The hiring manager seemed like a possible micromanager, but was nice to me. I was told that I did an outstanding job representing myself and received an offer. With the way I was being praised I expected a nice salary increase. Unbelievably I received an offer of much less than I am currently making. I was being sold hard on the benefits, opportunities for career development, and so on. Sorry, but I have my rent, gas, and plenty of other bills coming every month. Had to turn it down. Seems like a good company but it also seems like they are not willing to pay for talent.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

There’s no need to pay for talent. There is a glut of talent begging for jobs. Supply and Demand at work. Benes good to have while you have them. Merck/Pharma are slowly reducing them. With yearly layoffs showing no signs of slowing down, you wouldn’t have been getting them very long anyway.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

NEVER,EVER STOP posting!

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

That is the problem with Merck. Leaders feel that there is no need to provide incentive for reps to come here or stay here. Everyone should feel honored to have the privilege to work for such a cheap company. Lots of great reps continue to leave. And good reps are seeing that the luster has dulled, and decide not to come here. The only good place left here is Oncology, and that is even questionable. I have my feelers out. Definitely hearing from friends that there is life after Merck. Plenty of companies still looking to attract/retain top talent.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

We don't want or hire castoffs from second rate companies go elsewhere!

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Just sit right back and you’ll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip, that started at this Jersey port, aboard this pharma ship, Aboard this pharma ship.
    The mate was a mighty pharma rep, Ken Frazier brave and sure,
    70000 passengers set sail that day for a three month tour, a three month tour.
    The market started getting rough, experienced reps were tossed. If not for no courage of the fearless crew Merck will be lost. Merck will be lost.

This company blows! Major layoffs coming by end of year. No future outside Oncology! And that is even a one pony trick!! Anyone with any talent wouldn’t want to come here unless they are desperate. I am leaving this cesspool next month. Can’t wait to give my notice.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Again with the layoffs rumors?

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Not just rumors! Lots of BS on this site but this is actually true. Our profit margin continues to shrink. We are giving chances to reps with little or no experience because they can learn the job and reduce cost basis. This is a good start but not nearly enough. Look for vaccines and chronic care to merge. Territories will become larger in some areas(more in alignment with vaccine territories). Data is showing that access continues to be a struggle. Reps who remain will simply focus on customers they can impact. Two bags per territory, which products fall in which bag is still being worked out. All reps will be thrown into the mix. No one will automatically be safe.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I totally see what you're saying and I believe that will eventually happen, but I would be really surprised if it happens right now before the new year. Someone had posted that in the middle of October 2018 we'll see the announcement and October is basically over. It's too late for layoffs to happen now, right? No one can get the timing right, if at all!

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

There are a lot of moving parts. Unfortunately it can be a moving target, and an exact time can be difficult to pin down. The individuals involved may want to make an announcement by a certain date but legal is involved and things get delayed. It is never too late for layoffs. The new norm for a lot of companies is to make announcements right before Christmas break because loss of productivity will be minimized at this time. Not a great time for employees but it is what works best for the company.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It makes sense, but we'll see

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Isn't there a 60-day WARN period that needs to take place for layoffs? We are just about passed that if layoffs are going to happen this year

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No layoffs this year.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This isn't just happening at Merck.

I don't work for Merck, but I'm with another extremely large, very well-known company, and the same thing is happening at my company: they are hiring them fresh out of college now, zero experience whatsoever.

One new hire that I mentored, who must have thought I knew what she makes, told me her salary/bonus level. It's literally 1/3 of what I make. Yes, you read that right: she makes 67% less than I do.

As experienced reps leave/retire, these new hire interns are being put in their jobs. I've spent some time with these new reps in offices, and the doctors stand there, staring, like.....whaaaaat? I was recently in an office with an older (late 60's) doctor who had a lot of technical/informational questions, and all she could do was parrot back what they taught her in training. I was embarrassed.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

That will help a company gain more access to accounts with closing doors

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest